NFL Hot seat

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Time to start talking who is on the hot seat in the NFL....

We can go by record I guess:

San Francisco - 0-9 - Hot seat - cold - New HC and new GM stripped the team of high priced vets to rebuild. They have and will continue to rebuild through draft and key acquisitions. The key to me is the deal for Garoppolo. If that fails, could be pressure on Lynch at GM

Cleveland - 0-8 - Hot Seat - Very Warm - Gut tells me HC is okay - Hue has been killed by Team decisions - not going QB early, not getting trade done for McCarron - and losing top Wrs to injury and drug suspension. GM and such should really sweat, the trade mistake is HUGE and made them even more a laughing stock

NY Giants - 1-7 - Hot Seat - Very Warm - I think the HC is a goner, he has lost total control of the locker room, and he is starting to make mistakes in talking pts. I think the GM also may get booted as well, as they have missed quite a bit in draft.

Tampa Bay - 2-6 - Hot Seat - Warming up - Koetter was moved up due to his ability to help Winston, and build offense....and that simply is not happening. I think he may be on short leash, but has a 50/50 chance to survive.

there are multiple teams at 3-5 - Bears(safe), Chargers(safe), Broncos(safe), Texans(Warm) - He got saved by injury to Watson....as team was showing they could win with Watson.

However, there are two teams I think will have some change:

Indianapolis - 3-6 - Hot Seat - El Fuego -I think the HC is gone, he simply can't put a winning team on the field, and he is risking his best assets with that horrible O-line. GM is relatively new, so I think he is safe but HC is gone.

Cincinnati - 3-5 - Hot Seat - Smoking Hot - I think this is the last rodeo for Marvin, he has let this team fall apart and while overall the drafting has been solid, they really blew the O-line decisions. Team is a mess, and a change is long overdue.

efactor

Coming at you
Lynch won't be judged on the Garoppolo deal (in danger of losing his job anyway). They are doing the right thing in the rebuild process, which is getting rid of dead weight and evaluating the players they do have. Basically starting from scratch. Other than Buckner, Staley, Hyde and Trent Brown (good, young OT), they started with no other above average talent. There is a reason they got 6 year contracts. Lynch has also done a good job surrounding himself with good football people like Peters and Mayhew.

Interesting thought on Garoppolo deal. They bring in him for an evaluation period and if they decide he isn't there guy, they use him as trade bait. I would bet they could get more draft capital for him than they gave up if they decide he isn't there guy. That is why I don't think you see him play, unless it's a meaningless week 17 where the Rams are resting their starters and he is playing with the 49ers starters against the Ram back-ups. His value is as high as it will get right now and playing him with no weapons behind a beat up OL will only diminish that value. If the Browns were willing to give a 2nd and 3rd for McCarren, what is the value of Garoppolo to them? I think SF can come to a conclusion if he is their guy based on practice and prep time. This isn't an original thought BTW. Was something discussed on another site that I thought was interesting.

ExperiencedRookie

Lynch won't be judged on the Garoppolo deal (in danger of losing his job anyway). They are doing the right thing in the rebuild process, which is getting rid of dead weight and evaluating the players they do have. Basically starting from scratch. Other than Buckner, Staley, Hyde and Trent Brown (good, young OT), they started with no other above average talent. There is a reason they got 6 year contracts. Lynch has also done a good job surrounding himself with good football people like Peters and Mayhew.

Interesting thought on Garoppolo deal. They bring in him for an evaluation period and if they decide he isn't there guy, they use him as trade bait. I would bet they could get more draft capital for him than they gave up if they decide he isn't there guy. That is why I don't think you see him play, unless it's a meaningless week 17 where the Rams are resting their starters and he is playing with the 49ers starters against the Ram back-ups. His value is as high as it will get right now and playing him with no weapons behind a beat up OL will only diminish that value. If the Browns were willing to give a 2nd and 3rd for McCarren, what is the value of Garoppolo to them? I think SF can come to a conclusion if he is their guy based on practice and prep time. This isn't an original thought BTW. Was something discussed on another site that I thought was interesting.
Lynch is on the hot seat? I feel like he's made some really good decisions so far in his time.

I can't imagine them getting anything better for Jimmy G than they already gave up. It's not like they're the Pats and have a legend at QB which makes the backups dispensable. If they start shopping Jimmy with only CJ at QB, everyone is going to know that he's Cassel 2.0.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Kid is going to start, kid has to start. He won't be worth squat on the trade block if they try to move him without playing him. ER you are right IMO on that. He'll start and it'll be right after their bye. He's also going to be much better than what they are using now. Book it! I'm ready to see the 9ers move back to the top where they belong and hope this kid is a step in that direction.

efactor

Coming at you
Lynch is on the hot seat? I feel like he's made some really good decisions so far in his time.

I can't imagine them getting anything better for Jimmy G than they already gave up. It's not like they're the Pats and have a legend at QB which makes the backups dispensable. If they start shopping Jimmy with only CJ at QB, everyone is going to know that he's Cassel 2.0.

No. Lynch isn’t on hot seat regardless of Garoppolo. That was my point. He is moving forward intelligently with the rebuild.

They don’t need to play Garoppolo in order to evaluate him, especially with no receivers and a bad o-line.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Baltimore Ravens 4-5 - Hot Seat - Warming up. Offense is putrid, coaches are putrid and GM/HC have seen the game pass them bye. We could see Ozzie"retire" and DeCosta promoted but he is a disciple of Ozzie's so he might have the same problem. This team is living in the 80's when it comes to drafting. Defense is no longer what gets it done. They have drafted a DT in every draft since 2011 while drafting such stand out WR's as : Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mallette, Darren Waller.

If Harbaugh is retained I believe he will have to fire both of his coordinators.( Hopefully....:) )

ExperiencedRookie

Baltimore Ravens 4-5 - Hot Seat - Warming up. Offense is putrid, coaches are putrid and GM/HC have seen the game pass them bye. We could see Ozzie"retire" and DeCosta promoted but he is a disciple of Ozzie's so he might have the same problem. This team is living in the 80's when it comes to drafting. Defense is no longer what gets it done. They have drafted a DT in every draft since 2011 while drafting such stand out WR's as : Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mallette, Darren Waller.

If Harbaugh is retained I believe he will have to fire both of his coordinators.( Hopefully....:) )
Don't forget burning a 1st rounder on Perriman who is either hurt or dropping the ball.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I can't see McAdoo surviving. He should have been fired at the start of the year when he changed hairstyles, that slick back one is just awful.
I think both McAdoo and Eli are gone. They can get huge value for Eli, especially from teams that are close and need vet Qb - (Jax?, Miami, Jets).

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will also add, as bad as McAdoo looked, Marvin and Hue from the AFC North looked as bad or worse.

Marvin will get canned just for allowing and protecting that idiot Burfect, and Hue may be an awesome OC, but he is making HUGE mistakes as a HC.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld.com

A statement from Giants ownership on Monday indicated Ben McAdoo will likely last the season as the team's head coach.

McAdoo's firing is inevitable, but the Tisch and Mara families sound committed to evaluating his performance at the end of the year, and not pulling the plug during it. "Ben McAdoo is our head coach and has our support. We are in the midst of an extremely disappointing season. Our performance this year, particularly the past two weeks, is inexcusable and frustrating," the statement reads. "... Our plan is to do what we have always done, which is to not offer a running commentary on the season. ... At the end of the year, we will evaluate the 2017 season in its entirety and make a determination on how we move forward."

Source: Adam Schefter on Facebook

Phicinfan

Administrator
Tampa Bay - 2-6 - Hot Seat - Warming up - Koetter was moved up due to his ability to help Winston, and build offense....and that simply is not happening. I think he may be on short leash, but has a 50/50 chance to survive.
reports are now running that Koetter is out, or will be if season keeps going, and Tampa will go hot and heavy for John Gruden