NCAA punishment of Penn State, fair or not.

listenerjr

No one could condemn more than I the cover up of of child abuse by officials of Penn State but I think the punishment was too great. The Paterno statue had to come down and some penalty paid but I think persons who did nothing wrong are being hurt. The players won all the games that have been erased. Why if Penn State under new management has a record deserving a post season or bowl bid, should they not be allowed to claim what they honestly achieved?

jjtweeks

I am ok with it. It makes sense that unprecedented failure like this calls for "unprecedented penalties". They gave this guy full power basically to hand down a punishment he felt necessary. They needed a strong message and I guess this is the best they could come up with. I think the part about the vacated wins was pretty harsh but so was the crime and the neglect. It is what it is and it will take time but they will recover, most likely faster than the victims, who may never.

RLLD

The reaction of the Pedd St people is startling, almost maddening. There they sat, sobbing, horror stretched across their face over the sanctions and such. Their angst is misplaced though, they should reserve those reactions for the children that have been affected by this. And the fact that so many have been affected due to the lack of effort to protect them, and instead protect the "brand" of Pedd St.

This is how a cult behaves, not how educated individuals at what is reasonably identified as a top institution should behave.

Is there any wonder why we have such perverse moral compasses at corporate and governmental leadership?

listenerjr

Someone innocent always pays when a crime is commited Listener. Fair penalty IMO.

It always strikes me as sad when so many innocents have to suffer for the actions of a few. You would not here me crying if those officials who covered up the crimes went to jail or paid a large fine or both if possible. My guess is most of those abused would feel as I do. I could be wrong of course but those are my thoughts.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
PSU may not recover from this scandal for years. The players are the ones that get hurt the most here, I'm sure.

Mike

Administrator
Penn State = Joe Paterno = a generation of shame

I would steer my kids, future grandchildren, and future great grandchildren away from that school.

Zach

No one could condemn more than I the cover up of of child abuse by officials of Penn State but I think the punishment was too great. The Paterno statue had to come down and some penalty paid but I think persons who did nothing wrong are being hurt. The players won all the games that have been erased. Why if Penn State under new management has a record deserving a post season or bowl bid, should they not be allowed to claim what they honestly achieved?

By your statement any punishment handed down by the NCAA is unfair. USC was under new management for their probation. Ohio St has a new coach. It is normal for teams to be punished by the actions of those in the past. That is just the way it is.

The reason is really simple. If the university was in control and on top of what was going on than none of these situations would have happened. The university is responsible for they hire and put into positions of power.

Escrow

Paterno was so powerful, that we wouldn't even know who Sandusky was if this was nipped in 1998....with that said is it unfair? Somewhat, but with the revolving rosters of college sports, its just the wrong place at the wrong time...it makes me sick how the Paterno family and some PSU fans think that this was ok? Football is not bigger than scarred lives, put yourselves in the victims shoes

RLLD

By your statement any punishment handed down by the NCAA is unfair. USC was under new management for their probation. Ohio St has a new coach. It is normal for teams to be punished by the actions of those in the past. That is just the way it is.

The reason is really simple. If the university was in control and on top of what was going on than none of these situations would have happened. The university is responsible for they hire and put into positions of power.

To be fair, this is the NCAA protecting its brands, and nothing more. There is nothing wholesome or righteous in any of their actions. I do not believe that they give a rats ass about students or student athletes, they care ONLY about protecting the brand to preserve their cash cow. I am not suggesting that they do not feel the horror we all share at what has happened here, but I do not believe their actions are intended to do any more than to scare others who might take action to negatively impact the NCAA brand....

Zach

To be fair, this is the NCAA protecting its brands, and nothing more. There is nothing wholesome or righteous in any of their actions. I do not believe that they give a rats ass about students or student athletes, they care ONLY about protecting the brand to preserve their cash cow. I am not suggesting that they do not feel the horror we all share at what has happened here, but I do not believe their actions are intended to do any more than to scare others who might take action to negatively impact the NCAA brand....

I completely disagree with your first statement. Yes the NCAA has to protect the NCAA brand but I do believe that if this was some tiny organization that nobody ever heard of that they would have reacted the same way. What happened at Penn St is something that I doubt anybody will ever completely understand. How could it happen? How could that many people not do the right thing?

I really do believe that that the sanctions against Penn St were made to make sure that nobody ever does something like this again. You can argue that they impossed the santions to protect the brand or you can argue that they did it just to make sure that this type of situation never happens again.

Would you rather have seen the NCAA go the route that Hollywood did with Roman Polanski and award his films 6 Oscars after he raped a 13 year old?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mixed feeling on if this was fair or not. Some of the penalties I love. Some may have went a little far. For one, not sure I get what taking scholarships away from kids is going to do here. Bowl Ban I get, but would have rather seen them just take all money away from bowls revenue for the next 4 years. I love the 60 mil, and feel it could have been more. I think these penalties needed to be more focused on the school and not just the football program. This was a coverup that went all the way up the university, not just the football program. More penalties needed to be directed at the university and not just the football program. The players and current coaching staff here had nothing to do with this.......yet it is them who pay the price.....just not sure I love that aspect of it.

All that said, this is a horrible situation and the actions of many here make me sick, so any sanctions that they handed down are justifiable on that end.

RLLD

I completely disagree with your first statement. Yes the NCAA has to protect the NCAA brand but I do believe that if this was some tiny organization that nobody ever heard of that they would have reacted the same way. What happened at Penn St is something that I doubt anybody will ever completely understand. How could it happen? How could that many people not do the right thing?

I really do believe that that the sanctions against Penn St were made to make sure that nobody ever does something like this again. You can argue that they impossed the santions to protect the brand or you can argue that they did it just to make sure that this type of situation never happens again.

Would you rather have seen the NCAA go the route that Hollywood did with Roman Polanski and award his films 6 Oscars after he raped a 13 year old?

We can agree to disagree. My observations of the NCAA over time support my assertion that its their brand they want to protect, nothing else. If the NCAA wanted to send a message of its support for the victims, how about partnering with a child abuse organization? Forcing Penn St to partner with one? Lifetime ban's for those coaches involved? Offering up scholarship funds for the victims?

Your strawman aside, the NCAA has only one purpose, to protect its brand so as to ensure the millions continue to roll in. Students-be-damned, they can suffer..... this has been the mantra time and again from them. They are a sick and perverse organization.