My Brother's (Luke's) sleeper picks for the season

tmaschm

On our most recent podcast my brother was a guest and announced his sleepers for the season. As far as his credentials are concerned he's picked some pretty good QB's late in the past.

Tony Romo 2007 4211yds 36 TDs
Aaron Rodgers 2008 4038yds 32 total TDs
Kyle Orton 2009 3802yds 21 TDs (the worst by far, but he still finished as a marginal starter)

2010 Sleepers

QB: Matt Hasselbeck 170 yds 2 TDs and 1 INT

RB: Darren Sproles TBD

WR: Steve Breaston 7 rec 132 yds

TE: Jermaine Gresham 6 rec 25 yds 1 TD

Pretty good so far!

Last edited by a moderator:

tmaschm

Which one of these guys is a "sleeper"?

You tell me.
(comments for 12 team league)
Hasselbeck - undrafted most drafts
Breaston - going after pick 100 most drafts
Sproles - going after pick 100 most drafts
Gresham - undrafted most drafts

Yea I'd say they all qualify.

Remote Controller

You tell me.
(comments for 12 team league)
Hasselbeck - undrafted most drafts
Breaston - going after pick 100 most drafts
Sproles - going after pick 100 most drafts
Gresham - undrafted most drafts

Yea I'd say they all qualify.
It's the age old arguement of what you think a sleeper is. In my estimation Gresham is the only one that qualifies.

-Derek Anderson would have been a sleeper QB, or maybe vick or Moore.
-Doucet would be a sleeper WR, or maybe a guy like Shipley or Armstrong from Washington.
- Ware from the Giants would be considered a sleeper, or maybe Brandon Jackson or Anthony Dixon, and even then you are getting into cuffs and 3rd down guys.

I agree with Danny on this one.

(It is always nice to hit on any late picks though)

Last edited by a moderator:

tmaschm

It's the age old arguement of what you think a sleeper is. In my estimation Gresham is the only one that qualifies.

-Derek Anderson would have been a sleeper QB, or maybe vick or Moore.
-Doucet would be a sleeper WR, or maybe a guy like Shipley or Armstrong from Washington.
- Ware from the Giants would be considered a sleeper, or maybe Brandon Jackson or Anthony Dixon, and even then you are getting into cuffs and 3rd down guys.

I agree with Danny on this one.

I respectfully disagree a sleeper is a guy you can most likely get after round 9ish. They have some inherent risk, but could well outperform draft position. If your bench is full of those RBs and WRs listed then you better be in a 16-20 team league, or else your team might be so full of "sleepers" that it will go into a coma. What I mean is while most of those guys you have listed proved they are skilled player in one way or another, most of them don't have the opportunity/talent to be worth fostering in a 10 or 12 team league (which I believe are the most popular sizes)

Coachnorm

We here at Sports Outlaw get a little spoiled when it comes to sleepers. We come here all off season and discuss players and situations, so we have talked a lot about many of these players. Our sleeper standards may indeed be a lot higher than the general Fantasy Football public. But this is why we are a great Fantasy Football site to come to and gather Fantasy player intel.

tmaschm

We here at Sports Outlaw get a little spoiled when it comes to sleepers. We come here all off season and discuss players and situations, so we have talked a lot about many of these players. Our sleeper standards may indeed be a lot higher than the general Fantasy Football public. But this is why we are a great Fantasy Football site to come to and gather Fantasy player intel.

I agree I thought a few of the guys in the original post were barely worth a roster spot though (Gresham isn't in the top 12 to me yet and I don't ever recommend carrying two TEs). The players being listed there are worth following on your watch list etc., but leave them on the waiver wire for the desperate owner in your league.

Coachnorm

I respectfully disagree a sleeper is a guy you can most likely get after round 9ish. They have some inherent risk, but could well outperform draft position. If your bench is full of those RBs and WRs listed then you better be in a 16-20 team league, or else your team might be so full of "sleepers" that it will go into a coma. What I mean is while most of those guys you have listed proved they are skilled player in one way or another, most of them don't have the opportunity/talent to be worth fostering in a 10 or 12 team league (which I believe are the most popular sizes)

This is a pretty valid description of a sleeper, trying to find value in your picks after your core players are drafted and taking stabs at players that all have an incomplete/unimpressive resume', so far.

Remote Controller

It's all about what you consider the definition of a sleeper is. I see the names you listed solely as possible value picks if they fall far enough. I saw Breaston fall in many drafts in 7th or 8th round which puts him smack dab in Wr #2 or #3 territory depending on your draft plan. His ADP on the Calculator is 9.03 (9.02 PPR). Not a sleeper by any stretch with my definition of a sleeper. Doucet at 14.09 (ADP)???....now there is a sleeper pick, or Hillis at 13.11. (only reason he registers there is his week 2 Preseason game)