Missed FG's....what the hell is going on???

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
What is going on....I don't think I have ever seen so many missed FG's as I have seen on the playoffs and the College Bowl Games this year!! I don't understand what is happening of late.....can we import a new stash of kickers to put into the game???

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This was/is a shitty year for the kicker.

Of note, the Saints got rid of a perfectly good John Carney to bring back Garrett Hartley, who promptly missed kicks too.

efactor

Coming at you
Who was the Indy kicker???? The "Stupid Kicker"? Think he can catch a gig next year now?

Vanderjackoff. If you can kick drunk, he would have a chance...........

I couldn't pick a kicker to save my life and it continues in the SO Challenge. Akers in the first round and Kaeding in the 2nd. My god.......

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Vanderjackoff. If you can kick drunk, he would have a chance...........

I couldn't pick a kicker to save my life and it continues in the SO Challenge. Akers in the first round and Kaeding in the 2nd. My god.......
kinda hard when all the damn kickers in the league just SUCK!!! I mean damn, Kaeding is the AFC's Pro Bowl kicker!!! Guess he wanted to be sure he got to kick in that game in two weeks....his schedule should be free now.

Mike

Administrator
A ton of pressure is placed on a kicker these days. In the past, points were never so important. Take a look at how many kicks are made from long distance as opposed to previous years.

The league has made it easy for offenses to get between the 20's, and virtually screwed up the game.

the entire fabric of the NFL has been screwed up by rule changes. Drives that used to stall at midfield are now stalling farther into opponents territory, resulting in more field goal attempts, and more importantly, more long field goal attempts.

During this time, nothing has been made easier on the kicker. They simply have to kick from longer distances, and have faster guys coming to block the kicks, and the fear of the dreaded timeout.

Big play touchdowns get more attention than 1 yard runs from the goal line. Missed field goals get more attention than made field goals in most cases ( because they are coming from longer distances)

rule changes are screwing up football, because they are being made for the casual fan.

efactor

Coming at you
A ton of pressure is placed on a kicker these days. In the past, points were never so important. Take a look at how many kicks are made from long distance as opposed to previous years.

The league has made it easy for offenses to get between the 20's, and virtually screwed up the game.

the entire fabric of the NFL has been screwed up by rule changes. Drives that used to stall at midfield are now stalling farther into opponents territory, resulting in more field goal attempts, and more importantly, more long field goal attempts.

During this time, nothing has been made easier on the kicker. They simply have to kick from longer distances, and have faster guys coming to block the kicks, and the fear of the dreaded timeout.

Big play touchdowns get more attention than 1 yard runs from the goal line. Missed field goals get more attention than made field goals in most cases ( because they are coming from longer distances)

rule changes are screwing up football, because they are being made for the casual fan.

:headscratch:

In the past, points have never been so important?

Misses are from longer distances?

What am I missing? It's OK, many of us have posted drunk before.

Kaeding had made something like 43 in a row inside of 40 yards and today he misses 2. Rackers missed from 34 yards to win the Green Bay game. Graham missed two chip shots in the Jets game. Those should be gimmes. When Kaeding missed his second today, it made me think of Scott Norwood and all the grief and suffering he went though for missing the 47 yarder to that would have given the Bills the title. Other than Charger fans, nobody will remember Kaeding costing SD this game by the time 2010 rolls around because it wasn't a kick to win or lose the game at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
People underestimate the value of good kicking and clutch kicking. Games are often decided by a single field goal and having a guy like Nate Kaeding (in the Chargers case this year) is every bit as much of a detriment as a QB choking and making a bad pass.

Mike

Administrator
The NFL controls the kicking balls. Kickers have complained, holders have complained.

The NFL doesn't want kickers deciding games, that isn't cool for casual ratings.

Yeah, many of us have posted drunk before, hell, I am a pro at that, but I also have my eyes wide open in regards to things happening in this league.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
yeah, not buying that one at all Mike....these are not long kicks these donkey's are missing. They are VERY makable kicks. This is their only job.....DO IT!

Remote Controller

They have all of the pressure, and none of the glory. The credit still goes to the Qb or Rb who put them in FG position. You don't see Coaches and owners canning Rb's for fumbles or Qb's for Ints. They need to make their kicks, but the kickers would perofrm better if they felt they could be human and keep a job. It's all about the money. They don't make any. The skill positions do so they don't get canned for their mistakes.