Michael Sam say's he's a homosexual

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Missouri OLB Michael Sam revealed on ESPN's SportsCenter Sunday evening that he is a homosexual. It wasn't news to scouts and many team owners but you can expect it to be in the headlines for quite some time now. How bad does this drop him in the upcoming draft? It'll be like a depth charge dropped on a submarine. Sink, sank, sunk. What a media nightmare for the team that drafts this kid. What team will step up and break this barrier? Would you if you owned a NFL club? Not I, I wouldn't want the clown and circus atmosphere in my locker room.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Really?

The kid told his teammates during August camps, and no one on his team outed him, or made an issue of it. I think that sets the pattern.

It will only be a circus, if folks keep expecting it to be.

Just my opinion.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
I'd agree with mud here.

Not taking anything away from him skills wise but that kind of circus..shhesh.

Something tells me he ends up either a Jet, Raider, or on the other end of the spectrum a Patriot.

My order would be
Patriot
Jet
Long shot Raider.

cctekguy

Staff member
I would like to know what his motive for "announcing" it was?

Hell, what is ANYBODY'S motive for ANNOUNCING their sexual preference?

Egomania bordering on stupidity.

I guess he figured he wasn't talented enough to make a name in the NFL so he's using the back door. (no pun intended).

gizzil

From what I hear media was about to break the "news" if he didn't... I'm sure he didn't WANT to announce his preference for dudes

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If he could help my team win, I don't care. I don't have to agree with their life style, as long as they work hard, stay out of trouble and kick some ads, I am good with them on my team.

jjtweeks

I just thought I'd come out and tell you guys Im straight. It's the newest thing I thought I'd join in on.
I don't know how to take this. I have nothing against that lifestyle but like Tek said why do we need to make a production of it. And it shouldn't matter but it will come draft day. Why? Because no matter how you look at it it will be a distraction. Now he is not just a talented football player he is a talented gay football player. Some people will be totally fine with it and then there will be the ones who are either insecure or have such strong moral values and views that it will become a distraction no matter what. Teams change constantly and there will always be a few if not more who will make a big deal out of it.
I'd be proud too if my team picked him up for a steal and he could help produce but i just don't see it as a distraction free process that doesnt hurt a team.
I think it works for his current situation because players got to know him and see that hes a great guy with talent and accepted him. It's a whole other story when guys(insecure or whatever) have the knowledge of his sexual prefence before they get a chance to know him and have preconcieved ideas of him.
Similar in some ways to my situation. I was in Federal Prison for 4 years for drug traficking meth. People who know me now trust me completely and don't even think twice about it. I coached t-ball for a few years and people trust me with their kids. I doubt one of them would have gave me the chance with prior knowledge of my past without gettting to know me. My point is if i came from the stands and said hey Im a recovering addict but I am great with kids people are gonna have reservations.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Great discussion on this on ESPN radio, they compare it to Monte Teo from last year. Pointed out that after all the hullabaloo from the combine, it was a non-factor once camps started and during the season. I liken this to that.

I still disagree this will be a distraction. Anyone who honestly thinks there has not been gay men in the NFL to this point has lost their mind. So the locker room knows how to deal with it. As for the media, it has already lost steam.

The key is I feel the kid will drop in the draft due to his size, not his sexual preference. He is really small for an NFL DE, and he failed miserably at the Senior bowl trying to learn OLB. At least by all reports they had in this discussion.

Only time will tell, and what difference does it make why he did what he did, he has stepped up and wants to move on. So should we.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Sorry but I'm still convinced there will be major problems associated with this kid and not a chance that I'd draft him for my team were I an owner. Why risk it? You think the circus in Miami was bad this year well I predict this will top it. No doubt what-so-ever in my mind that his draft value has fallen. Read what really went on behind the scenes on his team in college not the sugar coated crap some are spouting off. There were problems and this was with their MVP player. When he's nothing more than the homosexual new kid on the block it'll be worse and you're fooling yourself to think it doesn't matter hugely to a lot of people.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Sorry but I'm still convinced there will be major problems associated with this kid and not a chance that I'd draft him for my team were I an owner. Why risk it? You think the circus in Miami was bad this year well I predict this will top it. No doubt what-so-ever in my mind that his draft value has fallen. Read what really went on behind the scenes on his team in college not the sugar coated crap some are spouting off. There were problems and this was with their MVP player. When he's nothing more than the homosexual new kid on the block it'll be worse and you're fooling yourself to think it doesn't matter hugely to a lot of people.
All I have read is positive, including Richardson the DT from Jets who was his former room mate. Love to see what negative stuff you have seen.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Everyone wants society to look at this kind of thing as a no big deal thing.

That is not going to happen when Esptmz continues to cover this like somebody shot the president.

It will never be simply accepted because that would give the media one less thing to shove down our throats and making a huge deal about. This drives up the most important thing to a television company.

Ratings.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It was either rotoworld or msn PhiCin but in a nutshell it had current players saying that the nice things being said in the media after Sam's coming out party were a load of bull and that there was lots of problems in the locker room with several players being unhappy to have to share a locker room with a homosexual man.