Matt Cassel shoots himself in the foot?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Can't say I understand this decison:

New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel says there won't be a quarterback controversy if Tom Brady returns next season from the knee injury that thrust Cassel into the starting job.

"This is Tom's team," Cassel said Thursday on ESPNEWS. "The Patriots have been Tom's team. He's built that franchise up with his own two hands. He's the guy, and he was the MVP the year before. I realize that. He's been such a mentor for me that I would say, 'No, there is no quarterback competition.' But I've learned so many things from Tom, and hopefully it'll help me in my career."

Cassel's future with the Patriots will be decided next month. The Patriots will have two weeks starting Feb. 5 to decide if they want to place a franchise tag on him and keep him as an insurance policy, a move that would make him about $14 million. Otherwise, Cassel will become an unrestricted free agent as of Feb. 27, free to sign with any team.
Matt Cassel says he's willing to return to New England Patriots as Tom Brady's backup - ESPN

Runnik's Hambones

I'm sorry DB, but I don't think he's shooting himself in the foot at all. In fact, he's making the decision for the Patriots, rather easy. He's literally saying, place the tag on me, Brady is your QB and I'm here to back him and you up. That means that he's working the system to get paid a crap ton of doe, to sit the bench. Matt Cassel is saving his job, his health, and his money with this move. I think he's making the right choice here.

Remote Controller

At first glance I felt he hurt his position, but admittedly don't understand how everything works in regards to Free Agency, and the Franchise tag.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
so he gets FTed, gets one big contract for a year... but then what? this is an extremely short sighted move. if he comes out and says he wants a starting job somewhere, hes going to get a 6 year / $50+ million contract and bet set for life and a real career.

Runnik's Hambones

Maybe, but we're talking first about a guy who has sat on his ass for years and been content. He's been able to watch arguably the best QB of all time for the last few years and get paid to do nothing. He's had one year under his belt where he was able to prove to himself and to everyone else that he could be a top 5 QB in the NFL. Now that he's proven that, I'm sure it wouldn't bother him to get that big check and sit for a year. He's protecting himself from injury and getting paid for it. I can't really see how this is a bad move.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not like that contract won't be there after his 14 mil pay day. I don't have an issue with this, but i don't put a ton of stock in it either. It's the PC thing to say...

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I don't agree at all with the thought he's doing anything detrimental to his career. If the Pats franchise him he signs a one year deal for $14m bucks to hold a clipboard. Not a bad gig. If a team is dying for a Pro-Bowl calibre quarterback they have to cough up first rounders for the Pats AND Cassel signs an uber contract. Win-Win and he doesn't come across as a jerk.

Runnik's Hambones

I don't agree at all with the thought he's doing anything detrimental to his career. If the Pats franchise him he signs a one year deal for $14m bucks to hold a clipboard. Not a bad gig. If a team is dying for a Pro-Bowl calibre quarterback they have to cough up first rounders for the Pats AND Cassel signs an uber contract. Win-Win and he doesn't come across as a jerk.

My thoughts exactly.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
so he gets FTed, gets one big contract for a year... but then what? this is an extremely short sighted move. if he comes out and says he wants a starting job somewhere, hes going to get a 6 year / $50+ million contract and bet set for life and a real career.

If someone paid me $14 million for one year, I think I'd be set for life.

gmrcharity

The problem is if you have been paying attention, he will not be Bradys back-up. Brady is doubtful for 2009 and beyond.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
If someone paid me $14 million for one year, I think I'd be set for life.

Exactly.

If you're getting franchise tag QB money for one season you really don't need to be concerned with your long term financial goals. You're already rich.

Runnik's Hambones

ESPN reported this morning that they believe Brady will be the starter next year. They said they expect him to recover in time and be back, ready for the season opener. I'm not as optimistic, but wtv.

freyguy

Pick to Click
The Pats would be stupid not to make this deal. Give him the money. They can afford it.

It's all based on a "what if". What if Tom Brady comes back and hes not totally ready? I think the Pats would be willing to pay for a pro bowl caliber QB, even if he is a back up. Who else do they have? Do they still have that Gutierrez guy? Pfft.

legend has it youtube was formed as a clandestine operation to further the escape of gerbils and shave points.

Cassel is a solid sword swallower. May he fall upon yours

Mike

Administrator
I think Cassel did the right thing here. This is Brady's team. Cassel knows it, and everybody else knows it.

If the Patriots can afford it, Cassel makes 14 Million this year whether he starts or sits, and he has given the NFL a full year of game film to determine his value.

By saying this, he removes himself and Brady from any controversy. If he is franchised, and if Brady struggles because of the injury or doesn't play, Cassel looks like the good guy when called upon to play.

If he succeeds once he is on the field, 31 other teams see that he showed nothing but class, and they will be tripping over themselves to sign him to a huge long term contract.

If they don't franchise him this year, he already has the year to demand a nice contract from a few needy teams.

Cassel can't lose this year. Somebody is going to pay him enough money to retire on.

I think Cassel did the right thing here. This is Brady's team. Cassel knows it, and everybody else knows it.

If the Patriots can afford it, Cassel makes 14 Million this year whether he starts or sits, and he has given the NFL a full year of game film to determine his value.

By saying this, he removes himself and Brady from any controversy. If he is franchised, and if Brady struggles because of the injury or doesn't play, Cassel looks like the good guy when called upon to play.

If he succeeds once he is on the field, 31 other teams see that he showed nothing but class, and they will be tripping over themselves to sign him to a huge long term contract.

If they don't franchise him this year, he already has the year to demand a nice contract from a few needy teams.

Cassel can't lose this year. Somebody is going to pay him enough money to retire on.
that's what i just said. you didn't get that from my post?