Marion Barber? Projections/ opinions! Please

Zombie Wolf

I am stacked at receiver in my dynasty league with Boldin/Jennings/R.Wayne/Bowe / Breaston . I am hurting at RB P.Thomas/LJ/Rice/ being my best options . I have been offered a Barber for Jennings trade ?? The only thing is Barber makes me nervous with Felix and Choice in the mix . This is a dynasty league - with standard scoring -and format . I am very high on Jennings so it will be hard to part with him even though I have several other options . Is Barber worth the trade ? What are your thoughts on Barber ?? I see some sites have him being drafted in the top 10 and have him projected as having 900+ yards and 10 tds ? Thoughts ?? :headscratch: Zombie

We have seen just enough of Felix and Tashard to make them appealing. I would think Barber will be the workhorse this year but depending on the season I could see someone from that three headed horse being gone this time next year.

I am not as high on Jennings as you so I would definitely consider the offer based on your other wide outs and need for upgrading your RB stable. What draft picks do you have? Do you have an option of picking up one of the rookies that are in good situations to contribute quickly?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
In standard scoring the deal is certainly good.

I don't blame you for the Barber distrust, though, so in your shoes I might be targetting those with some slightly dinged value... Jonathan Stewart, McFadden, maybe Lynch (with the looming suspension). Boldin or Bowe might be enough for one of them.

ExperiencedRookie

How many WRs and RBs do you need to start on a weekly basis?

If you're going to be parking 1 of your great WRs on your bench every week, then it would seemingly make sense to trade 1 of them for a true starter.

On the other hand, if you're going to be trading a great young WR would appears to have many great years ahead of him, you're going to want to get someone amazing in return.

Is Barber that guy?

At age 26, he still has some very fresh legs for a 4 year vet who has had touches since he was a rookie. Barber has never had over 300 touches in a single season, which really adds to his longevity. Also, for a guy who hasn't had the large amount of touches, he has still been able to produce at a high level for fantasy purposes.

Some may say that Felix will cut into his action. This could certainly be true, but Barber has been pushed for carries in all 4 of his years in the NFL, and the last 3 of them he's still been a very solid producer. His running style makes him a necessity to be on the field, especially in tough and short yardage situations, including the goal line. Let's face it, with 42 TDs in 4 years, the guy obviously has a nose for the endzone.

On the flip side...

As a RB, he's entered his peak. Over the next stretch of years is when you would expect him to be at his very best until he enters the golden years of 30 and beyond. This would give you 4 years of a great starting RB, IF his bruising running style can keep him upright.

Barber could be a guy whose running style negatively affects him more than positively over a period of time. He's never been one to shy away from contact, and that showed it's first negative signs last year. Also, can you think of any RBs who ran with his same head first style who were still tearing up the NFL at age 30? If the list is greater than 5, then you might be safe for longevity.

How's that for a breakdown?? I argued both sides so now I don't have to argue with Miller!

As far as my personal opinion(which you should expect), I'd try to find a better deal. If you're going to be moving superstar players, you should be looking for a deal that is solid for the present, but spectacular for the future.

When I look at your WRs I think Jennings would be the last guy I would want to trade. If you're going to move youth, which I wouldn't recommend, I would move Bowe.

If I'm you, and I'm trading 1 of those WRs Im either gonna move Boldin or Wayne, preferrably Wayne. I think he has the highest value, and he's probably at his peak value right now. He will be turning 31 this year, and has a 33 yr old Peyton Manning at QB. How many years do those 2 have to tear up the fantasy charts?

Anyways, I've already wrote a novel here, I should post and take a look at the other 12 posts that have probably come in on this topic while I've been penning this crap.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Counter with Breaston for Barber.
If I'm the other guy and I'm shopping for a dynasty WR, Breaston fills my need nicely. Boldin will be gone either this year or next, and then Breaston becomes money.
On your end, your RB corps is better than you think, at least for 2009. Thomas is alone as the feature back in a dynamic offense where Bush is used mostly as a backfield receiving target, and LJ should have one decent season left, but Barber represents a significant upgrade over both. Don't worry too much about Choice. He only became relevant after Felix got injured.
If the guy doesn't bite, throw in Rice along with Breaston. You can probably get another complimentary RB in your draft to replace that loss.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
The other guy already initially offered MBIII which tells me he's worried about his potential. Plus it's a Dynasty league so you'll get more longterm bang for your buck with a young WR over a RB with a shorter shelf life and firmly in a committee.
Wouldn't underestimate the chance of the other guy biting on that.
Bowe would be my next fallback option.
Either of those would be even trades in a non-redraft format.

FalaciDa

The Barbarian

I like Jennings alot and I drafted him when he was a rookie becuase Im the champ. But I like Barber even more. Im keeping him for the second year in a row and I dont worry about the critics. He's got talent and will probably do a 60 - 40 split with F.Jones. Not good but Barber will make the most of his carries and isnt giving him rest throughout the year good? Id like to have a fresh Barber getting 15 carries than a worn out "feature back" getting 20. Take Barber and bolster your Rb's. You are 4 deep at WR without Jennings and all those guys can start for you with the exception of Breaston. Id feel better with MB3 and Pierre Thomas and those WR's than Jennings and those RB's. Im also very high on Thomas this year. I'd say 800-1300 all purpose yds with 9-14 TD's this year for Barber.

Mike

Administrator
Barber as a starter is a 3 yard per carry guy, no matter how you try to figure him. You can look at scenarios all you want but it boils down to the same factor I mentioned when he arrived in Dallas and people fell in love with him.

When you are in for the snaps on 1st and 2nd down to start a game and throughout a game, you are facing a different monster than when you are coming in for long yardage plays, 3rd downs, and situational drives.

Last year, Marion Barber got his chance to be a starter and flamed out after just a few games, just like I predicted. We can blame the offensive line, but that is basically the same offensive line that got Julius Jones ran out of town for putting up better stats (minus the TD's, because he was pulled in any scoring situation)

This year, it gets tougher for Barber. Jerry Jones has seen the light and wants Felix Jones starting. In addition to that, Tashard Choice showed that he could step in for Marion Barber and outperform him. Choice proved it on the field as the feature back.

I will leave this issue alone at this point. You have seen what Barber can do as a starter, and what he did as a backup. You seen the difference in results when he was no longer the long yardage guy and TD guy. The beatings are wearing him down quickly.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
When MBIII is not in the back field the Cowboy's should be able to get the ball to him as another receiving weapon for Romo.

I will let the stats do the talking.
In 2008
Receptions- 52
Yards- 417
Avg- 8.0
Yds-per/Gm- 27.8
The only downside was only 2tds
Combined/All purpose yards 1302, 9tds
I would say thats not to bad for a RB. With the 3 headed RB monster, i see his receiving stats to be possibly a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I'll put on my Devil's Advocate hat and squash the 3-headed monster perception.

Until I see otherwise, this is a standard 2-man committee with MB and Felix. The only reason anyone knows Choice's name this year is because Felix got hurt.

As far as touches, how about 60% MB, 30% Jones, 10% Choice. MB gets the scoring chances still, Jones settles into a JJ role, and Choice provides the handcuff to this situation and gets touches in mop-up time.

T.O.'s gone and they didn't effectively replace him, so I see MB getting extra red-zone touches and that equates to solid RB1 status, at least for 2009.

I'll put on my Devil's Advocate hat and squash the 3-headed monster perception.

Until I see otherwise, this is a standard 2-man committee with MB and Felix. The only reason anyone knows Choice's name this year is because Felix got hurt.

As far as touches, how about 60% MB, 30% Jones, 10% Choice. MB gets the scoring chances still, Jones settles into a JJ role, and Choice provides the handcuff to this situation and gets touches in mop-up time.

T.O.'s gone and they didn't effectively replace him, so I see MB getting extra red-zone touches and that equates to solid RB1 status, at least for 2009.
MBThree is done

Done in Big D.

Big D is Bigger these days

and the Barbarian isn't getting a fat K

Mike

Administrator

Tashard Choice was actually talked up quite a lot after he was drafted by the organization last year, and there was much speculation that he could push Barber hard for touches as soon as he was given the chance.

I brought this up last year, but it was squashed very quickly when the coaching staff made sure Choice got little to no work in the preseason.

You are right though, in that most didn't know who he was. Now though, they do know who he is, and the team would be crazy to not take advantage of the talent. He is a better runner than Barber. Might not be a "harder" runner, but he is a more talented runner.

As for the other comment made about 1309 yards and 9 touchdowns, that isn't bad for a typical running back. However, that is bad for a running back that was being taken in the top 5 of drafts.

I can't stress enough that before anybody goes out on a limb and drafts this guy early, look at his production last year, and how it typically fell off from game to game.