Laveranus Coles signs with Bengals

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
that is a pretty big contract for that guy, and its strange they are bringing in a veteran WR like that as well, with all the draft picks theyve already put into the position. two things i wonder in response to this:

1) how much of that is guaranteed? im guessing his stay in cincy is 2 years max.
2) does this mean 85 might be on his way out? i dont see why they'd be keeping 85 with coles and all of the young wr draftees.

dukdown

Banned
Caldwell and Simpson are still a year away, is how I would read that. I'd think they'd still be holding onto Ocho, but I guess I could be wrong.

dukdown

Banned
Hey, Henry did catch two touchdowns in the last three weeks. Reports are he's working in California with Carson Palmer this off-season. So, maybe he's a sleeper this year.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I figured that would sign a vet WR if they let Housh go and stated as such. Here is the vet WR. The pups are still just that. Nice depth, but no one they can count on. Henry is also still there....but again, how can you count on him at all? Almost have to treat him as a bonus if he's there.

I don't see this impacting COC in anyway. I think he returns this year and he'll be around during the offseason as well. It's next year I'm worried about if he has a big year and is not paid. This year I think he realizes he has a lot to prove.

As far as the contract, I'm with Bomb, what is the gaurenteed money like? Looks to me like they just gave him the contract that they offered to Housh. From an injury standpoint I don't think he's anymore injury prone than TJ was. He will play the same role as TJ did and if he can get on the same page as Palmer may have a nice year with 80-90 rec. Just won't have the TD's, but he never has. I can't say I'm stoked about this as I'm not a huge Coles guy, but his move the chains style and willingness to make the tough catches is a good fit for what they need.

Overall I see the Depth Chart like this:
COC - Coles - Henry
Caldwell - Simpson

Not a bad group. With Benson back and Coles in the fold that leaves two major areas to address: OL & DL. If they don't do this none of the rest matters anyways.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
This is the Bengals so it should be noted how painful this is for me to admit but damn, Ocho Stinko (if he bounces back) lining up opposite Henry (if he stays out of Federal Pound Me In the Butt Prison) with Coles in the slot would be a crazy bad trio. Benson is good enough so if Carson's elbow is back...:shudder:. Palmer may be the true sleeper relatively.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I have spent the whole afternoon listening to local sports talk radio.

Views of most fans:
Option A - this is a panic move by Cincy for loss of Housh: I tend to disagree with this...as they did draft THREE wrs last year to address this. Plus the Mike Brown forcing of the re-signing of Henry. Depth is not an issue IMO.

Option B - This is Mike Brown trying to get a well known name to suffice the crowd: I actually think there may be some to this. Mike loves his toys....and I think they want to keep Palmer happy. If Coles can revert to Coles of old....interesting things could happen

Option C - This will now allow the Bengals to remove COC, which they would have done if they had re-signed T.J.: Not sure on this one. COC has been totally out of sight and out of mind this off-season. Henry by report is in CA working out with Carson. I highly doubt they would have kept both Wrs had T.J. signed. Only time will tell here.

Here is my concern with this signing. T.J. was the possession reciever. The guy who would bravely face the middle and get the ball and get the first down. Chad, Henry and Coles are NOT that type of receiver. Now if Utecht pans out to take that roll....then yes..this could be alot of tools for Palmer to play with. I just think Coles isn't a T.J. replacement....so the thought that they may deal Chad is really in the back of my mind.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not sure that Coles isn't more like Housh then you give him credit. Sure he has more speed and can be a vertical threat, but look at what Coles has turned into lately, a possession receiver. he's a tough guy who will go and make that tough catch over the middle. He's a good guy to line-up in the slot.

Where the biggest difference comes in at with the two is the redzone IMO. Coles is not a big threat, TJ was. What this could do is bring COC into play a lot more in the redzone.

I don't think there is any way in hell they trade COC...NONE...just my .02.

Remote Controller

-- Laveranues Coles Breaks the Bank --
Mon Mar 9, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
The Star Ledger reports rhe numbers are in on new Bengals WR Laveranues Coles' contract and they are off the charts. The former Jets wide receiver and his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, gambled and won big. Coles, who walked away from a $6 million guaranteed salary in 2009, signed a four-year, $27.5 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals that guaranteed him a whopping $9.75 million for the 2009 season. It's an unbelievable take for Coles, who at 31, isn't the player he once was. Coles, who is entering his 10th season, received a $3 million signing bonus, a $4.7 million roster bonus, a $1.9 million base salary and a $100,000 workout bonus all in 2009. Then, he'll earn base salaries of $4.6 million in 2010, $6.4 million in 2011 and $6.4 million in 2012. He gets a $100,000 workout bonus each year as well.
---------------------------
Not bad guaranteed money for his age

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
-- Laveranues Coles Breaks the Bank --
Mon Mar 9, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
The Star Ledger reports rhe numbers are in on new Bengals WR Laveranues Coles' contract and they are off the charts. The former Jets wide receiver and his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, gambled and won big. Coles, who walked away from a $6 million guaranteed salary in 2009, signed a four-year, $27.5 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals that guaranteed him a whopping $9.75 million for the 2009 season. It's an unbelievable take for Coles, who at 31, isn't the player he once was. Coles, who is entering his 10th season, received a $3 million signing bonus, a $4.7 million roster bonus, a $1.9 million base salary and a $100,000 workout bonus all in 2009. Then, he'll earn base salaries of $4.6 million in 2010, $6.4 million in 2011 and $6.4 million in 2012. He gets a $100,000 workout bonus each year as well.
---------------------------
Not bad guaranteed money for his age
Way it looks to me I'd say this will end up being a two year deal.