Lamar Miller in redraft

efactor

Coming at you
Starting to think about FFPC (Plus it's hot as fock here this weekend and I'm toasted after being in the water most of yesterday) and putting together some early RB projections. This guy is a mystery to me as I don't watch much college football and he didn't play much last year, so nothing to view my "eyeball test" on.

Currently ranked around RB 23 in PPR with projections of 1100 total yards and 6/7 TDs. Low end #2 going in rounds 4-5 generally. Good size at 5'11" and 212 pounds with speed and comparisons in running style to Clinton Portis. Add in the fact that Miami let Bush go without trying to sign him and didn't draft a RB early, there seems like a lot to like here. Is the low ranking due to the situation in Miami or just the unproven factor as that ranking range is similar to where the top rookies are ranked? Seems like he will be a 3 down back and to see him below Sproles, Matthews, Wilson (I like Andre Brown) and McFadden is kind of surprising.

Any thoughts on his situation and current ranking?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Draftniks certainly talked him up. A shoulder surgery dropped his draft stock, but otherwise isn'r though of as injury prone. I think its just the "unproven" factor dragging him down now and will probably be considered a huge value once the season is finished.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Draftniks certainly talked him up. A shoulder surgery dropped his draft stock, but otherwise isn'r though of as injury prone. I think its just the "unproven" factor dragging him down now and will probably be considered a huge value once the season is finished.

actually, he was in the dog house for lousy pass protection.

jjtweeks

I am on board with the low end #2 back but he would be my #3/flex because I normally draft RB heavy in redrafts

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yeah, I think he struggled to pick up pass protection and got in the coaches dog house in addition to being banged up. There are some other unproven options that may step up if he can produce as well. Basically like an unproven rookie still.....your drafting all on potential and possibles, that is why I think you see he being drafted where he is.....you don't really have any idea what you are going to get other than it appears his shot to screw up.

Phicinfan

Administrator
By all reports he is leading the choice. He has the most talent to do it, and his competition has had more time to learn, and still has not performed.

Still, I am not convinced they will run all that much. Not sure how good a receiver he is.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
As far as the 3 down back comment....if he struggles woth pass protection, he could turn into a 2 down back. Would love to know if wnyone knows how his receiving skills are.

efactor

Coming at you
"Underrated receiver" is what one of the leading sites is saying.

Whatever the hell that means............

efactor

Coming at you
Cut and paste from Football Guys:

Lamar Miller struggled to get on the field in 2012, but now that Reggie Bush is in Detroit, Miller should see a huge uptick in carries. Daniel Thomas has been lackluster at best and rookie Mike Gillislee some issues with patience and decisiveness to work on so Miller should get first crack at lead back. The coaching staff feels that Miller fits Joe Philbin's zone-run scheme even better than Bush did and the Miller's sure handed receiving and solid pass protection makes him a three down back.

Last edited by a moderator:

efactor

Coming at you

The more I read about him, the more I like him. Would like him more if he played for a team with a better OL...........

A

Axe Elf

If they sign Vonte Leach, he might crack the ranks of a low-end RB2 for me, but right now I see him as a capable RB3.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well I have seen it all now, the Elf is back, and heavily involved in FF again. :sweat:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Reports say that he's done a really good job of improving his pass blocking skills this off season. He'll be my flex in my keeper league with Foster and Lynch starting above him at RB.

Escrow

Here is his college recieving line in 2 years....

28/181/1

He had 6/45/0 last season in limited time....what sticks out to me is he averaged 4.9 ypc last season, now was some of this when Miami had garbage time(if they even did...ha) most likely, couple that with his 5.7 ypc average at the U, makes him look promising to me...

I really like him this year, and I think he will be under the radar if you draft in early august.

preeti222

I love his talent, but he of course has yet to prove himself for a season, but that also makes him cheaper than other running backs with similar upside. So he’s risky.

Runnik's Hambones

I think that RB 23 is an accurate ranking for him. That puts him above or in the mix with Monte Ball, Eddie Lacy, and Mendy. Truthfully, I'm not impressed with anyone higher than him until you get to RB 15-18. What I mean to say is that I'd stay away from most RBs between 15-20 as I don't see the players higher than Miller to have much more of an upside than he does.

jjtweeks

there is a lot of hype surrounding this guy so he will go too early in redraft for my taste.
Dolphin fan and like the guy but too much of a risk for me anything below 4th round