Jmsmith1's Team Grades

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
There's a fine line between "need" and "luxury". Pittsburgh's only glaring "need" coming into the draft is obviously the O-line. I needed to replace Jeff Hartings from 2 years ago (retirement) and Faneca from last year (Free Agency) because the Steelers never addressed either loss adequately. Those are 2 HOF-caliber interior linemen, so that's where I went with the first 2 picks. I would've taken a tackle with the 2nd round pick had there been one available with decent value, but I felt Levitre was the top lineman available at that point, by far.
I also needed to offset the loss of Bryant McFadden because he was a starter at the end of the season, plus I wanted to upgrade the corps we already had in place. I did that perfectly (in my opinion) with 2 rookies who could both start sooner rather than later in Martin and Smith.
I feel that the analysis is mostly based on the fact that I didn't get a DE yet. First off, this would fall more into the "luxury" category due to the fact that our 2 starters are returning and neither has health or productivity issues. Yes, they're aging and I was planning to address D-Line depth with the remaining picks, but I would classify it as the #3 "need" at this point, and I didn't see any with value at my respective picks. In the 3-4 zone blitz scheme, the DE's are almost an extension of the DT in that their main job is to clog up the opposing O-lineman to let the LB's run free to blitz and make plays, so they're a little harder to find in the college ranks.
WR would also fall into the "luxury" category since we only suffered one loss (Washington) and have Sweed to step into the #3 spot. Again, there is alot of depth at WR this year and I easily could snag a guy in the 5th or 6th round who could fill a #4 WR/ST role.
I guess my point is, a defending SB champion isn't usually drafting for needs so much as building depth and developing replacements, but the 2 needs I had identified as priorities were filled with really good players. The depth can come in the middle to late rounds, as it should.

bobbeaux

Houston - The Texans were very active in FA that took care of some needs and allowed you take some other players later on. The signing of Nick Ferguson and Eugene Wilson limited the need at SS, but William Moore is a steal in round 2 and a great fit for Houston. He'll likely end up there in real life. The Texans signed Shaun Cody at DT, so that made the need for a NT limited. With the signing of Antonio Smith at DE, not to mention a great get in Paul Kruger in round 3, the D line has been upgraded and gained some depth. Clay Matthews is a guy I think is the benefit of playing next to two All American LBs at USC, but all the experts love his talent. He's an immediate fix at OLB. James Davis is a nice speedy back, but is somewhat inconsistent. Being a second stringer should help him adjust and spell Slaton for a few carries. Kevin Barnes was a nice luxury pick that adds to your special teams and defensive back depth. Very good draft, and pushing Detroit and a few for best overall. Overall Grade - A

in hindsight, the only thing i would do different is i'd take the rb i prefererred in round 3 (i'm torn between rashad jennings and andre brown) . . . seems there were some reaches in round 1 that left quite a few great values to fall especially at the de position . . . the cb/s positions are light at the top of the draft, but there is a lot of great value in rounds 3 & 4 . . . lots of very good o-linemen throughout the 1st 4 rnds . . . ;)