Jerry looking to sign Matt?

Remote Controller

• -- Cowboys Could Sign Matt Jones --
    Fri Apr 10, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
  • The Dallas Morning News reports one Cowboys option would be to sign troubled ex-Jaguar WR Matt Jones to a low-risk contract. There was speculation that owner and GM Jerry Jones would go after his fellow ex-Razorback as soon as the Jaguars released Jones, a 2005 first-round pick who has had a disappointing career and is dealing with legal troubles stemming from a drug arrest. That hasn't happened. But the 6-6, 218-pound Jones, who has sub-4.4 speed, might be worth a shot if the Cowboys can't keep the guy they're counting on to be their big, fast field-stretching receiver.

Mike

Administrator
I wouldn't have a problem with the signing. As long as it is a low risk contract, I think it is great.

Remote Controller

Always been plenty of blow available in Dallas. :p

I would love to see Matt straighten out, but he sure back slid fast, after he got a second chance, and I sense a Travis Henry type finish to this.

Mike

Administrator
Catch me up on Matt Jones history. I know about the cocaine incident, but what other issues has he been involved in?

signed,
too freaking lazy to look it up myself :)

Remote Controller

I was talking about the 2nd chance he got last year after the cocaine incident. He dodged a bullet, and a suspension, for most of the year, then got in trouble right after the season was finished. He would be a great compliment to roy, and the and, and, (the slow guy who has the dropsies every once in awhile), and Miles. He could definitly stretch the filed and Romo can chuck it.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
doesn't Matt Jones have 2, if not 3 arrests for Cocaine? Personally I think the kid needs help and not a NFL contract....

Mike

Administrator
Here is what I can dig up:

• July 10, 2008 - Busted for chopping up Coke.
  • March 9, 2009 - Failed drug test (part of probation requirements for the above offense) for having alcohol in his system. He goes back to court following this on April 13th (this Monday)
Don't see any other Cocaine arrests, or any other sort of arrests.

Remote Controller

Here is what I can dig up:

• July 10, 2008 - Busted for chopping up Coke.
  • March 9, 2009 - Failed drug test (part of probation requirements for the above offense) for having alcohol in his system. He goes back to court following this on April 13th (this Monday)
Don't see any other Cocaine arrests, or any other sort of arrests.
That's what recalled, that and some disappointing season. (but look at the team, the Qb's and the offense they ran) It's not like he is cancer like TO and CJ!!!! :banana: :hide:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think this would be a great signing. Jones would compliment Roy well as the #2 possession reciever type.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Nah, Jones didn't have any "priors" before he was prepping the coke out in the open in his (or a friend's) vehicle.

I think I may've actually called this move in a different thread a few weeks ago, but not unlike Mike, I'm too lazy to look it up right now. LOL

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
From a March 17th post on the "Jags release Matt Jones" thread.

No I'm not smart, just a bit of a Razorback homer since I lived there for 6 years and will be moving there again in June. hehe

Big Poppa Razorback (Jerry Jones) will give him the benefit of the doubt once his Goodell punishment gets handed down.
Totally tragic that a talent like this blew his big chance. I lived in Little Rock all through his heyday and he was as beloved a player as I've ever seen by the fan base, on any level of pro sports.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
December 2008: Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Miles Austin/Patrick Crayton
September 2009: Roy Williams, Matt Jones, WR TBD

What a difference an off season makes.