Jerry Jones reconsidering his stance on Philips, very interested in Shanahan.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Big time gig with quality players and Phillips as d-coordinator could be appealing to Shannie, but how would those aspects weigh against suddenly being saddled with an overly involved henpecking owner?

I'd guess he passes on the offer.

dukdown

Banned
I just can't see how Jones can go into his brand new billion dollar stadium with Phillips back as head coach. But then again, he's paid all this money to retain Jason Garrett, with the apparent means of making him the coach-in-waiting. It just doesn't seem like Jones will ever want to put anyone in position to take one shred of the credit if the Cowboys do ever happen to become successful in the real world of the NFL standings.

Mike

Administrator
This is too damn funny. Here is the timeline of this rumor, and while I fully think that Jerry Jones is quietly talking with other coaches (just knowing him, you know he is), this is nothing more than a rumor started by the paper in Houston.

A writer in a Houston paper wrote that he felt Jerry Jones was still interested in talking to other head coaches, despite his comments stating otherwise. Shanahan seemed like the likely fit to him if this were to happen.

So no Mort runs with this to the point of stating that Jerry Jones "has been thinking about pursuing Shanahan", and of course PFT runs with this as fast as they can.

I said a few days ago that I expect to see some structural changes in Dallas, but rather than act like I know something "top secret", I simply maintained it as what it was, my opinion.

We all know it is a possibility that Jones would be looking at other coaches, so I guess that makes it easy for these guys to act like they know something, when they are merely doing what other people are, assuming.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
This is too damn funny. Here is the timeline of this rumor, and while I fully think that Jerry Jones is quietly talking with other coaches (just knowing him, you know he is), this is nothing more than a rumor started by the paper in Houston.

A writer in a Houston paper wrote that he felt Jerry Jones was still interested in talking to other head coaches, despite his comments stating otherwise. Shanahan seemed like the likely fit to him if this were to happen.

So no Mort runs with this to the point of stating that Jerry Jones "has been thinking about pursuing Shanahan", and of course PFT runs with this as fast as they can.

I said a few days ago that I expect to see some structural changes in Dallas, but rather than act like I know something "top secret", I simply maintained it as what it was, my opinion.

We all know it is a possibility that Jones would be looking at other coaches, so I guess that makes it easy for these guys to act like they know something, when they are merely doing what other people are, assuming.

Well - duh - but where's the fun in that? :)

Think Shannie would take the gig? Think Wade would be willing to stay on as coordinator?

Mike

Administrator
I don't know if Wade would stay in a situation like that. At 62 years old, and rich, I would be inclined to just walk away, rather than take demotion.

As for Shanahan, not sure if he would take the job or not, and not sure that I would want him. I mean, we are wanting to replace Philips for his performance, when the Broncos has done little to nothing for quite some time.

Shanahan has been able to do nothing with the Broncos defense, and I wonder if the time has come to where his offense just isn't going to get it done in today's NFL. I think the guy has to adapt and/or bring in a solid OC at this point.

Dunno, just not impressed with the idea of Shanahan.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
As for Shanahan, not sure if he would take the job or not, and not sure that I would want him. I mean, we are wanting to replace Philips for his performance, when the Broncos has done little to nothing for quite some time.

When enough time passes, a coach can fail to inspire his team. May be the case with Shanahan, certainly the case with Billick. But Wade is a three time head coach and his pattern is always the same - the first year is fairly productive, but in year two, and even more so in year three, his buddy buddy approach has amounted to undisciplined slackers. (Don't think he's ever had more than three seasons on one team, but not sure.)

Mike

Administrator
That is a good point on Wade, though I am not convinced he is the issue here. If it isn't going to be Wade Philips as the head coach, I would want someone coming in that is going to be here long term.

I don't see Shanahan being that guy. I don't really see any of the available head coaches being a long term guy other than maybe Mangini.

Guess I am just at the point where I want a younger head coach to come in and have the potential of being with this team as the head coach for the next 15 years or so.

I would even be open to them doing this with Jason Garrett now, just to see once and for all if he can be that guy.

dukdown

Banned
Bottom-line with the Cowboys, is they easily make the playoffs if Romo had started 16 games. So, not exactly sure that making big changes is the issue here, it's maybe more that Brad freakin' Johnson was their only option at back-up quarterback.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
That is a good point on Wade, though I am not convinced he is the issue here. If it isn't going to be Wade Philips as the head coach, I would want someone coming in that is going to be here long term.

I don't see Shanahan being that guy. I don't really see any of the available head coaches being a long term guy other than maybe Mangini.

Guess I am just at the point where I want a younger head coach to come in and have the potential of being with this team as the head coach for the next 15 years or so.

I would even be open to them doing this with Jason Garrett now, just to see once and for all if he can be that guy.

Between the stadium and the economy, I don't think even Jones could throw a lot of money at a name coach. As promising young coaches go, Garrett is already paid for, so he's likely the near future.

I guess the big question is whether Wade is allowed to continue as head coach, given his history, or if Garrett is elevated by next season. Jones said the staff would be intact but never said anything about how they'll be stacked. If its Wade do not expect a sudden snap-to-attention turnaround by the players.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Bottom-line with the Cowboys, is they easily make the playoffs if Romo had started 16 games. So, not exactly sure that making big changes is the issue here, it's maybe more that Brad freakin' Johnson was their only option at back-up quarterback.

What did Brad Johnson have to do about a 260 pound fullback running 80 yards for a touchdown? :nonoblue:

dukdown

Banned
Baltimore is a pretty decent team. It was the losses in the middle of the season when Johnson couldn't do jack-squat that gave them no wiggle room.

Mike

Administrator
I think money is a big issue right now. Jones stands to flush a ton of money down the toilet if he lets Wade Philips and Jason Garrett both go, several million dollars.

I would think Garrett would be the likely person, but the fact that Jones is granting him permission to seek other head coaching positions makes me wonder.

Is it possible that Jones has Garrett out there doing a head coaching dog and pony show for other teams, knowing that he is about to give him the job with Dallas? Or is he possibly trying to get out from under Garrett's contract? Not sure which to believe.

Between the stadium and the economy, I don't think even Jones could throw a lot of money at a name coach. As promising young coaches go, Garrett is already paid for, so he's likely the near future.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I forgot teams have been sniffing around Garrett. Since its not a lateral move for him, Jones can't deny permission. Certainly is interesting if Jones isn't discussing a HC position with him.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I'd be all for it. Dallas has lots of talent and no balls. I remember the days where I could expect Dallas to win every game. Now, not so much, especially after Halloween

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Jones wants to win.....and win now! If Philips is gone this year, I don't think it will be Garrett. My guess is Jones will look to make a splash and Shanny could be that splash.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
Will Jones outbid teams like Cleveland and Detroit for Shanahan's services?

Mike

Administrator
If he does in fact let both of these guys go in favor of another head coach, then my respect for Jerry Jones doubles. Given the shape that the economy is in, the money invested in going to this new stadium, adding in the fact that several million dollars will be thrown out the window by releasing both of these guys tells me there is no doubt he is all about winning, at any cost.

I just still don't see how a coach that has been failing is worth that risk though.

Jones wants to win.....and win now! If Philips is gone this year, I don't think it will be Garrett. My guess is Jones will look to make a splash and Shanny could be that splash.

Runnik's Hambones

Jones should totally do it. We all know that he's been itching to pick someone new up since Roy Williams. Seriously there is no shock in this news, I say try and grab Shanahan while you can.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i just cant see shanny's ego and jerry jones getting along. id love to see them try though! :)