It's Official: Lions select Matt Stafford #1

I like Stafford but still believe the team could have gone D and made a greater and more immediate impact.

What I do not like is the amount of $ they spent to get their QB. Their folding on the self imposed Friday deadline rather than showing a willingness to shift gears does not bode well in my opinion. Hopefully I am reading to much into this but that is my concern going into this years draft.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Bad mistake by the new front office. I won't belabor the point since I've been outspoken about this on other threads, but they need to build a team around the QB, not the other way around.
I would say this is the day that set their franchise back, but they don't have any farther back to go.

On the rookie pay scale. Dudes don't become NFLPA members until they ink the dotted line, so it will only be vets voting on the issue anyway. That won't cause any work stoppage and it is almost guaranteed to pass when the CBA talks fire up.

I think I read that in order for the contract to reach the 78mill number, he has to meet a ton of borderline attainable goals, anyway. If he takes 35% of the snaps this season, for instance, he'll probably be dead anyway so the rest of the contract's a moot point.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
The Rams should really start broadcasting how much they love Mark Sanchez ASAP. Maybe one of the naive teams will throw the farm at them to get ahead of Seattle.

Runnik's Hambones

Bad mistake by the new front office. I won't belabor the point since I've been outspoken about this on other threads, but they need to build a team around the QB, not the other way around.
I would say this is the day that set their franchise back, but they don't have any farther back to go.

On the rookie pay scale. Dudes don't become NFLPA members until they ink the dotted line, so it will only be vets voting on the issue anyway. That won't cause any work stoppage and it is almost guaranteed to pass when the CBA talks fire up.

I think I read that in order for the contract to reach the 78mill number, he has to meet a ton of borderline attainable goals, anyway. If he takes 35% of the snaps this season, for instance, he'll probably be dead anyway so the rest of the contract's a moot point.

We'll see. Here's the way I see it. They have too many holes to cover them all in this draft, but I think they should cover the important ones. In this case, it's offense first. Not because I think offense is more important, but because they chose to draft Stafford first, so it becomes imperative. I say OL with their next 2 picks. Then get some defense.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
We'll see. Here's the way I see it. They have too many holes to cover them all in this draft, but I think they should cover the important ones. In this case, it's offense first. Not because I think offense is more important, but because they chose to draft Stafford first, so it becomes imperative. I say OL with their next 2 picks. Then get some defense.

Im still standing by what I wrote last night. Wait on a QB till you can get a better one cheaper in 2010 and shore up that line today with a franchise OT.

Runnik's Hambones

Im still standing by what I wrote last night. Wait on a QB till you can get a better one cheaper in 2010 and shore up that line today with a franchise OT.

Oh, Sgt, you won't get ANY argument here. Next year's QBs are light years better than this bunch. I think we said that in the FFO Radio show on Tuesday. And they're cheaper to boot. Seriously, I agree with you.

But now that they've pulled the trigger on him, I think you kind of need to go OL with the next 2 picks.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
On another note, they could've got Curry for 20mill cheaper over the life of the deal and had a better player who would start from day 1. And as for worrying about a "face of the franchise" and jersey sales, I seem to notice an awful lot of #54 shirts in the crowd when I watch Bears games.

Just sayin'.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yep, they made their commitment to Stafford, now they need to follow through on the commitment. Oher, Britton, or Beatty at 20, then follow it up with Unger, or Duke Robinson at the top of the 2nd.

I can agree to the extent that they will now have to select OL with 1 of their next 2 picks. D remains is great need of upgrading so I could still see Jerry being their selection if available at #20. If Perry is gone but Rey is still on the board I could also see him as their selection.

What I don't know is the impact on the OT's - who will be the options at #20? A. Smith and Oher would make it real hard to pass up but I am not as sure if the best option if Eben (would be much more comfortable taking him at #33)

Runnik's Hambones

I can agree to the extent that they will now have to select OL with 1 of their next 2 picks. D remains is great need of upgrading so I could still see Jerry being their selection if available at #20. If Perry is gone but Rey is still on the board I could also see him as their selection.

What I don't know is the impact on the OT's - who will be the options at #20? A. Smith and Oher would make it real hard to pass up but I am not as sure if the best option if Eben (would be much more comfortable taking him at #33)

Oher, Beatty and Britton.

In my mock, I have them taking Beatty at #20.

If Perry is still on the board at #20, the Bucs better have a damn good reasoning for it, and it sure as hell better not be Josh Freeman.

I have Oher ranked higher than Beatty, but I have him going 16 to SD. Some think it's a stretch and I actually find it to be a bit unlikely, however I still think it would be the best option for them. Like I said on the mock and on my radio show, RT Jeromey Clary gave up over 6 sacks last year. They could fill that hole (that's what she said) with Oher.

I also have Britton to the Bills at #28.

I don't think Mack makes it out of the first round, but I can see #33 spot having both Unger and Duke Robinson there. Unger isn't as good of a solid Center as Mack, but Unger can play both C and G. With that said, the best G available in this entire draft, and if the draft weren't littered with so many good tackle would have been considered a top 5 pick IMO, is Duke Robinson.

If Detroit gets Beatty and Duke Robinson, they're run game and passing game goes WAY up. They are already a much better team, at least on offense. Then, they NEED to spend picks on LB/DE/DT/DB, in that order.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
When did Beatty become a higher pick than Britton?

Sorry, it's just that I've done more amateur research this year than any other, specifically on O-Line prospects, and I wasn't all that impressed with Beatty. Same could be said about Loadholt (was completely prison-raped by Orakpo last year).
I think both those guys will be slightly overdrafted due to perceived positional scarcity earlier in the first round.

Runnik's Hambones

When did Beatty become a higher pick than Britton?

Sorry, it's just that I've done more amateur research this year than any other, specifically on O-Line prospects, and I wasn't all that impressed with Beatty. Same could be said about Loadholt (was completely prison-raped by Orakpo last year).
I think both those guys will be slightly overdrafted due to perceived positional scarcity earlier in the first round.

Good question, the answer is simply, he's not. This is more personal than anything. I love Britton, don't get me wrong, he's big, strong and when he gets a lock on you, you're screwed. With that said, I never liked him against speed. When he's against a quick DE, he looses a bit of edge.

Beatty is almost the opposite. He's not as strong as Britton, but he's extremely quick on his feet. He has better balance than Britton and is a better pass blocker, IMO, because he can move better. He can handle the quick DEs a bit more and has the speed to pull and get to the second level when needed too. Like I said though, he's not as good of a run blocker as Britton is and needs to work on strength, but you know what, that can be molded. You can always make a guy stronger, quick feet and athleticism is much harder to teach, IMO.

Like Miller said on the radio show this week "it's just one man's opinion"