I Have A Very Good Dilemma!!!

bobbeaux

i'm in a 12 man keeper league in it's 4th year where we've kept 2, then 3-4 and we are keeping 5 this year . . . i've kept:

a. johnson
r. wayne

who i drafted 1-2 in the league's inception and have gained:

roddy white
deangelo williams

and last year grabbed with my 1st 4 picks starting from 12th in a snake draft:

marshawn lynch and ray rice as i was rb hungry
and then matt shaub and jay cutler to balance out

which i'm glad i held out . . . mc nabb, favre, flacco and campbell were gone by my pick to go along with manning, brady, rodgers, brees, romo that were kept

i grabbed shone greene towards the end of last season off waivers when somebody needed bench room . . . ;)

others on my roster:

steve smith
derrick mason
jermichael finley
dustin keller

standard scoring with idp and all td's are 6pts we start qb, wr, wr, wr, rb, rb, te, rb/wr, wr/te, k, def, 4 lb/de, 2 db

so, i've never even considered keeping a qb before with 4 picks or less, but now that i have schaub i'm starting to lean in that direction although i do believe it was a huge mistake for the teams that kept a qb so far . . .

so if i kept shaub and johnson together i could go heavy wr or rb and probably not go wrong

rice, williams and now greene looking to be in a nice situation

wayne, white and smith are solid keepers too . . .

i really like

johnson, rice, williams, greene and white going into the draft looking qb early from the 11th pick

i like schaub and even cutler, but might do just fine depending on others keepers . . . wayne i'm not so sure of since indy has brought in more talent besides clark . . . white is in a great situation if atlanta can pull it back together . . . i wouldn't keep a te if i had witten or gates, but . . .

i have huge trade bait, but i don't know if there's anything i necessarily need to add as it's a freakin crapshoot sometimes on who the best will be at any position, you think you've got something with ap and then favre comes along and takes all your glory away or i could go for chris johnson which is definitely on my mind and the owner needs a qb . . . but what if i give up the man for the guy i think might be the man cuz he was last year and he's in an awesome situation to do at least pretty damn good barring . . . i'm not even gonna say it . . . lol . . . but rice and greene should be in pretty much the best situation to be the man . . . hell, williams could be the man again depending on the qb situation . . . ok, so you see my dilemma . . . what would you'd do . . . and why is always good too . . . ;)

Runnik's Hambones

Ok, Rice, Johnson and Wayne are must keeps, IMO. I understand your desire to cling to Greene but if you feel that you have a chance at snagging Chris Johnson, I'd do almost anything, sans trading the 3 afore mentioned players. That means that if someone is willing to deal Chris Johnson for lets say Cutler/Schaub/DWill/White/Greene (2 of these players, any possible combo there), I'd pull the trigger. Imagine having Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson. Honestly a QB like Matt Cassel would be a good draft choice for steady points for a team with that roster of studs.

If you can't deal to aquire Chris Johnson (which I will again mention should be your 1st priority, IMO), then you have room to keep 2 more. Seems like you're having a hard time deciding whether or not to keep Schaub. If you can use him to trade, then he's a keep, no doubt. Quite honestly though, I think I'd go with Roddy White over Schaub. That gives you 3 starting recievers that are all tier 1-2.

The last spot is the tricky one. Again, if you can't get a trade then I'd try and decide which RB to chose over Schaub for the last spot.... DWill or Greene.... tough call, my friend. I almost want to say flip a coin. It truly comes down to if which one of these players you think will provide you with the most points over time. Can't forget it's a keeper league, so Greene gets the upper hand there, but DWill isn't necessarily old himself, and he's proven. I'm going to have to give the nod to Greene though. The age factor is important, but I think that the Jets are a better team than Carolina. Thomas Jones looks to be out of the door and Greene is the guy that WILL fill his shoes. You're just going to have to keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't get hurt. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm assuming that your keepers don't cost you anything and your draft proceeds like a normal draft except 60 top players are missing.

Runnik put a huge emphasis on trading for CJ but I don't see it happening with the list of guys you are willing to part with.

I agree with you on Greene. He's your next Ray Rice IMO so you've got your RBs covered, especially if you are able to keep DWill too.

Your 3 top WRs look good too and your league is WR heavy, starting up to 5.

I wouldn't even consider keeping a QB (given who you have) so it boils down to choosing an odd man out between Rice, Greene, DWill, White, Wayne and AJ.

Rice and AJ are locks so you've got to dump one of Greene DWill Wayne and White.

Greene is my personal "must keep" but many experts would disagree. Of DWill, Wayne and White I would keep DWill except that your league is so darn WR heavy. You could start DWill over a WR and drop the WR load to 4 but if you only kept one of White or Wayne that would still leave you needing 2 WR's out of a depleted draft pool PLUS a QB.

In this situation I think keeping a 3rd RB is a luxury you can't afford.

After all the blah, blah, blah your keepers should be Rice, Johnson, Greene, Wayne and White.

bobbeaux

thanks for your insights . . . i don't really want to keep a qb as my top 5, so at least your concurrences is helping me realize i'm not thinking crazy . . . lol . . . and i'm tending to agree that 3 wr's and 2 rb's would be the best route to go since we are wr heavy and then looking best rb/wr and qb drafting from the 11th spot . . . so, barring any trades i think i'm leaning towards johnson, wayne, white, rice and greene now . . . depending on how many qb's are kept and how the 1st round goes, i may even be able to hold out until my 3rd pick for a qb, but at that point i'd probably need to take 2 and alternate depending on the matchup . . . ;)

JackG1980

You know that M. Schaub lead the league in passing yards right? Doing it without O. Daniels for over half the season. They will continue to pass again next year with Daniels and the emergence of Jacoby Jones. I stated at the beginning of last year he will be a top 5 QB and he will be a top 5 QB again this year.
I do not know who the other teams will kept, but with 5 keepers, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Farve miight be kept on their teams. With all TDs worth 6 points they should be the top scorers in your league. Schaub will be the only tier 1 QB left. He should be gone before your 11th pick. Although still unsure about who I would kept right now it would be Schaub, AJ, Wayne, Rice and Greene. Is Jones coming back to the JETS?

bobbeaux

heard a rumor about jones possibly going back to the jets, too . . . luckily, i've got a lot of time as predraft trades/keeper selections will end sometime during the early preseason games and just before our draft . . . this will also help me decide for sure on schaub . . . if a lot keep qb's, there won't be many drafting qb's early . . . plus if my 5 keepers are top 36, i should be pretty strong.

one of the main reasons for this post was to stir up some conversation of players (other than chris johnson who has been mentioned) that could/should be the man . . . trades have been hard to comeby in this league though . . . offers coming to me have been lowball and offers from me have been countered with ridiculous offers.

bobbeaux

i'm very happy with a. johnson . . . wayne is doing great too, but i can't help but feel defenses are starting to figure out the colts and the extra targets are cutting into his every week production . . . i actually value white more than wayne at this point in their careers with this being a keeper league . . . if i could make a trade for any other wr, i'm really not sure who i would target:

fitzgerald might have a qb
c. johnson has a qb and an improving team
d. jackson has a lot of qb's for now
marshall . . . could be . . . ;)

JackG1980

bobbeaux. . . You could be right about Wayne... I just think he will have more value come draft day then White. So if you wanna trade you could use him and possibly get a better WRs. Maybe get Jennings and a young RB. I made a few good predictions last year and only a couple of bad ones. I was right about A. Rodgers being he number 1 QB, and Shaub being a top 5. Also right about Rice being a top 10 RB and O. Daniels being a top 5 TE, (before he was hurt). But I was also wrong about G. Jennings being a top 3 WR and Forte being a top 5. This year I am still high on G. Jennings and I think Jamal Charles will crack the top 5 RB. In PPR.

bobbeaux

jennings was a player in last season's draft that was going to high imo, but i often found driver in the bottom 4th early 5th range . . . but as a keeper, jennings is only going to get better i'd have to agree . . . charles is in a good situation as well, but i'm expecting kc to go with a committee.

there are a lot of rb's available in one way or another in free agency that could fall into a great situation . . . lendale white, marshawn lynch, thomas jones, willie parker, justin fargas . . . i don't think any of these guys are through . . . i'd even welcome any of them to the texans in a dual role with slaton . . . ;)

bobbeaux

You know that M. Schaub lead the league in passing yards right? Doing it without O. Daniels for over half the season. They will continue to pass again next year with Daniels and the emergence of Jacoby Jones. I stated at the beginning of last year he will be a top 5 QB and he will be a top 5 QB again this year.
I do not know who the other teams will kept, but with 5 keepers, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Farve miight be kept on their teams. With all TDs worth 6 points they should be the top scorers in your league. Schaub will be the only tier 1 QB left. He should be gone before your 11th pick. Although still unsure about who I would kept right now it would be Schaub, AJ, Wayne, Rice and Greene. Is Jones coming back to the JETS?

i'm glad to see walters signed . . . jones will be given his opportunities too though . . . i'm anxious to see daniels in camp to see how he's recovered . . . i've got one of those thoughts in the back of my mind that the running game comes back to life this year so schaub probably won't lead the ff again, but should still have a solid ff season with all those weapons . . . keeping qb, 2 rb's and 2 wr's is a solid foundation to start the draft with although i've been doing just fine keeping 3 wr's and then a rb . . . but schaub is solid and i could lose him or even waste him if i do nothing thru trades . . .

bobbeaux

ok, so i kinda put it all out there on the league's message board with the following message:

anybody wanna trade?

i'm open to reasonable offers and somewhat willing to help those in need . . . ;)

at this time, r. rice and a. johnson are definitely keepers . . . but i've got a lot more than 3 i could legitimately keep based on rankings . . .

d. williams
s. greene

r. wayne
r. white
s. smith ny

m. schaub
j. cutler

j. finley

and by reasonable offers, i don't mean a db . . . lol . . . but if it'll pass the league, i'd be open to giving 2 for 1 if i can upgrade at rb &/or wr . . . just throwing it out there . . .;)

i received an intriguing offer:

I will throw some names out there... How about R. Moss & D. Clark for R. White & S. Greene

it seems a bit lopsided, but knowing the fact i can only keep 5, the thought of teaming dallas clark with a. johnson and r. rice, plus 2 more has me a bit unsure . . . ordinarily, i wouldn't even think about bringing a te in as 1 of my 5 keepers, but having top 5 at 3 different positions, plus 2 more that are at least top ten . . . this could even make a case to keep schaub as well.

as a keeper league, i am actually favoring white and greene over wayne and williams . . . and i'm not anxious to take moss either . . . i know it kinda depends on what others keep, but what say you?

this could work out that i keep:

rice
johnson
white
schaub
clark

and looking rb/wr with my 1st 2 picks drafting at 11th, or . . .

rice
greene
johnson
white
clark

looking wr/qb with my first 2.

bobbeaux

i guess my basic question is . . . in this situation and keeping 5, would YOU even consider keeping a te?

bobbeaux

managers are starting to report their keepers . . . qb's brees, rodgers, manning, brady, romo, rivers and campbell are off the board already . . . there's a good chance that i could get schaub back with my 1st pick, but i'm not sure i want to risk it now . . . still haven't decided on my 4th & 5th players if i were to keep schaub . . . thinking, schaub, johnson, rice . . . with wayne, white, williams and greene to choose from . . . could go in 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 . . . i dunno, that chance that schaub (or even cutler or flacco) is still there when it comes to my corner in the 1st . . . i'm still liking johnson, wayne, white, rice and still undecided between williams or greene . . . youth and opportunity goes to greene . . . although williams might stay healthier all year.

bobbeaux

my 5 keepers are due on the 15th . . . after getting thru the 1st 8 rounds in the soffl2 draft, i'm beginning to lean towards schaub, johnson, wayne, white and r rice . . . although schaub, johnson, white, rice, williams/greene would open up my draft selections more, i feel my team would be stronger looking for a 2nd rb in the 6th . . . the availability in the 1st round would include the following:

s. greene
d. williams
r. matthews
j. best
b. jacobs
a. bradshaw
j. forsett
m. bush

s. smith ny
h. nicks
m. sims-walker
h. ward
p. harvin
w. welker
s. moss

j. cutler
e. manning
k. kolb
j. flacco
m. ryan
d. mcnabb
b. favre

j. finley
b. celek

as it looks, 5 teams will need a qb if i go without keeping schaub . . . i don't think i can risk it as i could honestly see him being the 1st pick taken (that team is keeping 4 wr's and 1 rb) . . . my possible downgrade at rb appears less than what i'd lose at the wr position if i went in with 2rbs . . .

schaub, johnson, wayne, white and r rice . . . makes sense to you?

bobbeaux

although, most teams should be drafting wr or rb based on needs in the 1st . . . and thinking my possible downgrade at qb might be less than what i lost at rb . . . lol . . . i can't make up my mind

bobbeaux

i couldn't bring myself to keeping schaub . . . johnson, wayne, white, rice and d williams are my keepers . . . call me crazy, but williams style should keep him healthier vs greene's . . . his schedule seems lighter and is already proven . . . and who know's what LT's going to do with that oline . . . i'll lose schaub, but there won't be too many looking qb in the 1st . . . ;)

wetgrampa

I've never done a keeper league, but I would keep these five based on what I know about the FF game.

a. johnson
r. wayne
roddy white
deangelo williams
ray rice

ALL of those are top tier in their spots. Those guys should just straight up win you games.

While Schaub is certainly amazing, what RB or WR can you get to make up for having these guys? Would you straight up trade any of these guys for Schaub if someone asked? That's kinda the question.

bobbeaux

ok . . . the draft is tonight, 6 cst . . . here's my current starting roster:

qb
wr johnson
wr wayne
wr white
rb rice
rb williams
te
rb/wr
wr/te
k
def
4 lb/de
2 db

i'm drafting at the turn from the 11th spot . . . here's my initial draft list (60 guys already off the board) . . .

m. schaub
j. finley
j. best
r. matthews
s. smith ny
a. gates
b. celek
s. greene
h. nicks
a. foster
m. sims-walker
j. flacco
e. manning

if i don't get schaub (likely), i wouldn't take a qb with my first pick, but it's quite possible i do with my 2nd, pick #14 . . . i'd love finley to fall to me (also not likely) and i know a lot of wr/rb picks are going to go before me . . . at least one of finley, gates and celek should fall to me . . . and then it really depends what's left on the above list with my 2nd . . . lol . . . the guy at the 12 spot needs qb though, so i'll probably have to go qb with my 1st . . . that's assuming j. best is not waiting for me . . . lol . . . i can dream, huh?