Houston RB Moats detained as mother-in-law passes away

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
You must be watching Sportcenter I just saw this.

Yes running a red light is wrong but if my mom was dying trust me i would be running every light until i was at the hospital.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
This is a shame. The Police Dept. in question will have a lot of explaining (aka kissing ass) to do to Moats family. I'm sure it says on the side of the patrol cars "Plano's Finest" :stooges:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Just saw the public appology by the Dallas Police force. They even called out the officer for his lousy behavior. Hopefully this will get properly taken care of. Hate seeing stuff like this happen, regardless of the fact of a death in the family.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
First, I have questions about the probable cause for the stop. From looking at the video and reading the commentary, I'm not sure there was an offense. State law here allows a right turn on red if you stop and a sign is not posted prohibiting the turn.

Second, I don't know of anyone who has ever charged someone with Evading Arrest or Detention in a Motor Vehicle for what appears to amount to 5 blocks.

Third, had he just felt he absolutely 100% had to do it, he could have just mailed a ticket.

Everyone for the most part hates us anyway, and things like this don't help. One of the things we try to teach our new guys is just because you "can" doesn't mean you should. As a former Chief of Police, I don't envy Chief Kunkle's position balancing between what should happen and what he could actually do in this situation.

At minimum I think this guy can do his time riding a desk taking walk in reports and phone calls. The Dallas Police Department would do well to keep this guy off the road.

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
All of this IMHO. I am not a police officer, but have been in public service, where I have worked beside police officers and emergency personnel. I have a few good friends that are police officers. This scenario could easily have been very different and dangerous for the officer. Criminals dropping off someone just shot. It is not that rare! So, the gun drawn down by his side, not an issue for me. But reholster and help the people when the situation is realized.

I think Police Chief Kunkle's remarks were spot on. IMHO, the conduct of Officer Powell was reprehensible, but not criminal. Therefore, I believe Powell should issue his own apology. have retraining in the appropriate areas, and definitely some alternative work for some time. Then, back on patrol. The only problem with this may be: that if Officer Powell were to feel he was "on a short leash" he may not react appropriately and bring harm to himself, other officers, or an citizen.

OK ..Now the opposite point of view. Police officers go through intense training before they "hit the streets". It would seem to me that to be a good police officer, there are some inherent traits one needs to possess ... great intuition (instinct) and judgment, organizational skills, common sense, compassion, and the desire to protect and serve the public, among others. Some can be taught, some can't. Powell showed a serious lack of judgment, intuition, compassion, and common sense. These, to me, are the aspects of being a good police officer that can't be taught, but are essential to performing their job as they are sworn and to do it safely, both for their safety and that of the public. I would think the screening process vetts out those that are unqualified. Those that slip through, perform as Officer Powell did. Let him move on to a job for which he might be better suited.

Again, IMHO

catman

Baseball "Expert"
This seems to be a case where the officer overreacted to a minor traffic offense. It is a shame that he did so, and his career will suffer for it.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
WOW! To read about it is totally not the same as seeing the video. You really get a sense the cop was an ass. I think the Dept. should pay for the funeral arrangements.

Shutdown Corner - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

That's the youtube link to the whole video.

Watch it...you really see how much of a prick the cop is being.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The Dallas Police Department should not pay for funeral arraignments GFL, be realistic.

GTL, from someone in the business, your pretty much spot on in your assessment. As a former administrator, Id still have to lean pretty heavily toward termination.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This seems to be a case where the officer overreacted to a minor traffic offense. It is a shame that he did so, and his career will suffer for it.

This isn't an "overreaction" as much as it is an example of what is likely a continuing pattern of behavior. Many of us got into this business to help people and give back to the community. I doubt this guy shares that feeling.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I get the feeling that this probably wasn't the first time this young officer abused his authority and wouldn't have been the last time if he had not been caught. Hopefully he loses his job over this and finds a different line of work.

GBG

Loser
Apparently, this isn't the first time Officer Powell has had a negative run-in with the NFL.

Officer Powell mistreats wife of Zach Thomas

Maritza Thomas, the wife of NFL linebacker Zach Thomas, saw a familiar face as she watched the video of Officer Robert Powell detaining Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats as he and his family rushed to a hospital to see a dying loved one. That face was Powell's.

On July 27, 2008, while her husband was at training camp with the Cowboys in Oxnard, Calif., Maritza Thomas was pulled over by Powell for an illegal U-turn near NorthPark Center.

Maritza Thomas was issued five tickets by Powell, four of which were later dismissed. Thomas was handcuffed, placed in the back of a police cruiser, spent about three hours in the Dallas County Jail and was threatened with the possibility of spending the night behind bars.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Highly irregular to say the least. In over six years the closest to a "celebrity" Ive ran into were the parents of Limas Sweed. (Great people by the way). Two celebrity families by one guy in 9 months? Hmm....