Harrison reluctant to take a pay cut; Marvin released.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Marvin Harrison's reluctance to take a pay cut could mark the end of his career in Indianapolis.Renegotiation talks between the Colts and Harrison were unsuccessful during the weekend, and he is close to asking the team for his release, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.
Colts president Bill Polian told reporters Sunday at the NFL's annual scouting combine that the team was trying to rework Harrison's deal to lower the receiver's salary cap number from approximately $13.4 million, the highest number of any wideout in the NFL. Harrison is scheduled to make $9 million in 2009.
Source: Indianapolis Colts' Marvin Harrison reluctant to take pay cut - ESPN

Looks like Harrison's run as a Colt could be coming to and end. This could have a large impact on the fantasy value of Anthony Gonzalez. Harrison has played his whole career with the Colts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
First, Indy has been ready for this. Gonzales, Wayne, Hall and co. will do fine if Harrison is gone. The question will be...is Harrison and his knee okay somewhere else or not. That is the question.

Its a shame though.....you can't think Indy and success.....and not think Harrison as well.

Coachnorm

The questions that come up is how much does Harrison really bring to the table and how much does it cost? Would he be a nice addtion to the Eagles, sure he would. But would he be a piece to the WR puzzle that would make the Eagles WRs a corp that is feared league-wide, nope, probably not.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Colts released WR Marvin Harrison, his agent Tom Condon confirmed to the Associated Press.
Harrison, 36, caught 60 passes for 636 yards and five TDs last season, but his 10.6 YPC average was a career low and he's never looked slower. Assuming Marvin doesn't return for a minimum-type deal, Reggie Wayne figures to take his old flanker position with Anthony Gonzalez at split end. Dallas Clark's 2009 fantasy outlook also gets a big boost. Clark has often been the biggest beneficiary when Harrison has missed games in the past.

Remote Controller

-- Colts Agree to Release Marvin Harrison --
Mon Feb 23, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
AP reports agent Tom Condon said today that Indianapolis has agreed to release WR Marvin Harrison, although an official announcement is not expected until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The questions that come up is how much does Harrison really bring to the table and how much does it cost? Would he be a nice addtion to the Eagles, sure he would. But would he be a piece to the WR puzzle that would make the Eagles WRs a corp that is feared league-wide, nope, probably not.
Marvin is no longer an elite #1. However, I am not totally convinced he is done either. If Philly were to pick up Marvin AND get another top flight reciever...say trade for Boldin or sign T.J. Those three Wrs (add in rookie Jackson) would without a doubt make one of the nicest triplets McNabb has ever had. Having a wiley veteran like Marvin work with Jackson would be a huge bonus as well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
-- Colts Agree to Release Marvin Harrison --

Mon Feb 23, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
AP reports agent Tom Condon said today that Indianapolis has agreed to release WR Marvin Harrison, although an official announcement is not expected until Tuesday or Wednesday.
This is premature. Indinapolis star is now reporting that Indy is talking to Harrison...and he has not been released yet.

link:End of an era? | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
Indy has a 5:30 est news conference today. I haven't found anything on the net but would they do a conference just to say they dropped Harrison? I think they worked out a deal.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Marvin is no longer an elite #1. However, I am not totally convinced he is done either. If Philly were to pick up Marvin AND get another top flight reciever...say trade for Boldin or sign T.J. Those three Wrs (add in rookie Jackson) would without a doubt make one of the nicest triplets McNabb has ever had. Having a wiley veteran like Marvin work with Jackson would be a huge bonus as well.

McNabb owners would need a new pair of paints should that scenario play out. Harrison would have to agree to a vet minimum in order to get him on board with what Boldin or Housh want to get paid.

Bayton

The news conference was just out of respect for Harrison. The colts are one of the classier run organizations in the league and Harrison was there the entire time Jim Irsay(owner) was there and they share a deep respect for each other. As a buc fan ive see our team legends run out of town unceremoniously for years and others just straight tossed aside as if they were garbage. I'll always give respect to the organization that honors their players when the time together ends.
But, wish the best for Harrison.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
The news conference was just out of respect for Harrison. The colts are one of the classier run organizations in the league and Harrison was there the entire time Jim Irsay(owner) was there and they share a deep respect for each other. As a buc fan ive see our team legends run out of town unceremoniously for years and others just straight tossed aside as if they were garbage. I'll always give respect to the organization that honors their players when the time together ends.
But, wish the best for Harrison.

Yeah, From what I understand, the organizatrion gave Edgerrin James a Super Bowl ring even though he was no longer with the team when they won the Super Bowl. They gave him one as a thanks for their past success and how he was vital in years past. That's class.

Runnik's Hambones

Rising another question here: Do we see the Colts grabbing another WR in the draft now? Not early I would assume, but in perhaps the later rounds? Even in the latter half of Day 1? I remember us chatting about Pat White, I could see the Colts making a run at him to play WR and return some kicks.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Hmmmm...........

Anyone think they take Harrison to use this season while Burress is in the can and then dump Harrison when Burress is both available and out of legal trouble?

GBG

Loser
Pfft. Harrison can't last the three years Plax will be at Rikers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Plax wont be at Rikers 3 years. If they are charging him under the Sullivan Act I think its like a year.