Graham Harrell headed to CFL

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Good fit for him. This guy isnt NFL ready and may never be

REGINA, Saskatchewan -- Graham Harrell is headed to the CFL.

The record-setting Texas Tech quarterback signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday.

Harrell is the NCAA Division I career leader in touchdown passes but wasn't drafted by the NFL. His workout with the Cleveland Browns did not result in a contract.

Harrell had to fight the perception that his numbers were the product of Texas Tech's offensive system and he didn't have the arm strength to succeed in the NFL.

The Roughriders are already two games into their season and have three quarterbacks on their roster. Their starter is former North Carolina quarterback Darian Durant, who had only four career CFL starts coming into the season.

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Graham Harrell isn't your typical spread quarterback and will do better than some guys that were drafted. He would still have been a project but Could easily run a West Coast offense in the NFL.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I just dont see it that way. My knock on Harrell is the fact he has spent the last decade working in extremely unconventional offenses at Texas Tech and Ennis High School. He would have to be under center for the first time in years and would have to work in a more conventional offensive scheme.

Im not saying he has "some" talent, but I think after a decade of running off the wall offenses he probably would not be able to make the jump.

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
The knock on a lot of guys is that they can't read their progressions and Harrell can do that plus he's smart. My guess is that he would work all off-season at correcting his shortcomings, but it still wouldn't be game time. So, maybe you're right. I don't see him being able to play WR like Brad Smith either. Or a RB/WR like Pat white.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ok...Im listening.

What makes you think Harrell can read his progressions? His progression has been Crabtree (or the annointed #1) first, then whatever is open.

Id like to see some reports from his weekend with the Browns.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Give him a year in the CFL and see what kind of progress he has acquired. If he can throw up some numbers in the CFL then some team needing a backup QB in the NFL might look at him again and he might get to go to a better more stable team then Cleveland. And i direct the last comment more towards the Browns messed up QB situation as of late not the team as a whole.

DearbornDolfan

What makes you think Harrell can read his progressions? His progression has been Crabtree (or the annointed #1) first, then whatever is open.

If you want to be simplistic, that's true of any passing system. However, the REAL knock on the Air Raid (whether it's Harrell, Reesing, or Bradford) is that the QBs don't have to do any real work in taking apart the defense. The only play I can think of that isn't an option route is Mesh. With Mesh, you're reading what the safeties are doing. If only one is backing up you attack over the safety that's sitting on the middle of the field, if both are back up you go to the crossing receivers and check which linebacker is dropping into the flats (if any), and if both flats are covered you check down to the swing. Basically three very fast and simple reads. Otherwise every other play (maybe 20 in all) has a ton of simple option routes where it's the receiver's job to get open and call for the ball.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If you want to be simplistic, that's true of any passing system. However, the REAL knock on the Air Raid (whether it's Harrell, Reesing, or Bradford) is that the QBs don't have to do any real work in taking apart the defense. The only play I can think of that isn't an option route is Mesh. With Mesh, you're reading what the safeties are doing. If only one is backing up you attack over the safety that's sitting on the middle of the field, if both are back up you go to the crossing receivers and check which linebacker is dropping into the flats (if any), and if both flats are covered you check down to the swing. Basically three very fast and simple reads. Otherwise every other play (maybe 20 in all) has a ton of simple option routes where it's the receiver's job to get open and call for the ball.

Your killing me.........
But thanks for throwing up a paragraph of clarification :)

DearbornDolfan

Your killing me.........
But thanks for throwing up a paragraph of clarification :)

Well, it IS true. If anything, NFL offenses are so homogenized (roughly 80% of any playbook is common to every NFL team) that it's actually easier to make the generalization for professional teams. The other 20% are plays unique to a certain coach's system, what tinkering was done to create mismatches, unique formations, etc.

As a matter of fact, I was probably being far too general in lumping the Air Raid QBs into one group. Oklahoma's rendition tends to use more pro sets (because they have the talent), Kansas' tends to have a more dynamic variation with routes while not having as many options, and Texas Tech is fairly true to the roots of the Air Raid.

Actually, I've got an idea for an article. I was about to go on a tangent, but I'll save it.