FB Le'Ron McClain signs with Chiefs

Coachnorm

McClain agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Chiefs on Wednesday, Carroll County Times writer Aaron Wilson reports. McClain has shown some very nice running ability before so this could be interesting.

cctekguy

Staff member
So is everyone that drafted Charles in the first round...:lol:

McLain has been whining about being a lead back all pre-season. I don't think he would have signed with the Chiefs just to be a fullback again.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw

McLain has been whining about being a lead back all pre-season. I don't think he would have signed with the Chiefs just to be a fullback again.

I think you're way off here Tek...

Redjiik

man i hope your wrong tek, i don't expect us to repeat last year but i at least wanna watch charles kick some a

Remote Controller

Then he will be whining like a little girl this year! lol!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

Tekkie:

What are your thoughts on McClain?

cctekguy

Staff member
Tekkie:

What are your thoughts on McClain?

Same as every one elses...up the gut. Keep the LBs tight and the DL on their heels. Give the freaking passing game a chance and stop the keys on Charles.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I still believe Charles is a 3rd down, change of pace back and McLain is a nice way to spend 1st and second down.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I think you're dreamin' Tek... McClain was brought in to block and maybe score a few short yardage TD's. His presence only improves Charles' outlook for this season IMO.

cctekguy

Staff member
You may be right, I may be crazy.

Maybe he's just trying to stay out of the unempoyment line since Leach took over his roll in Baltimore.

...budidontinkso.

McClain didn't lose 20 lbs so he could be a cuter full back and everyone knows that Charles can't carry the load.

Not saying McClain will be a stud, just that Charles stats will take a hit.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Charles can't handle the role of a 300 carry guy. He's not built for that. But 260 is about right. He is explosive enough to make 260 carries into a huge number. T. Jones is old and falling apart. McClain just comes in to fill T. Jones' role. This helps Charles because you don't want him trying to get the short yardage. T. jones is too old to get that short yardage anymore. He can't push and move the pile like he used to. McClain can come in and convert more 3rd and shorts than last year, giving Charles more time on offense.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If they used McClain for 8-10 touches during the first 3 quarters a fresher Charles will be a killer in the 4th. I think the Chiefs have done the right things at the WR spot to keep people off his arse.

Now that said, it would NOT hurt at all for McClain to do some lead blocking for Charles. The Chargers have upgraded the D enough that a bulldozer is going to be needed to gain tough yards sometimes.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
You may be right, I may be crazy.

Maybe he's just trying to stay out of the unempoyment line since Leach took over his roll in Baltimore.

...budidontinkso.

McClain didn't lose 20 lbs so he could be a cuter full back and everyone knows that Charles can't carry the load.

Not saying McClain will be a stud, just that Charles stats will take a hit.
okay...
I actually see this as more of a hybrid season of the two Thomas Jones years. I think they want a back that is more dynamic than Jones to take some carries for ball control, but not as many carries as Jones had when they first got him.

I actually like McClain as a later round sleeper, as he will get some yards and some tds as well. But Charles won't lose enough to drop his value. Especially with his receptions capability.

Redjiik

sounds about right, seems like the chiefs wanna go 3wr 1te so either use mcclain on short yardages and pass blocking but you also have mccluster in the backfield so that sounds kinda cluttered once you throw in tjones cause i'm sure they aren't gonna just bench him all year

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
How do we feel about Thomas Jones as a runner? Could this be a guy who ends up getting traded once some camp injuries hit?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
How do we feel about Thomas Jones as a runner? Could this be a guy who ends up getting traded once some camp injuries hit?

Jones really deteriorated last year as the season wore on. His ypc dropped continually throughout the season. I don't know how much more Jones has left in the tank.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(Rotoworld) Coach Todd Haley confirmed that FB Le'Ron McClain will not take any carries away from Jamaal Charles or Thomas Jones. Analysis: McClain has been outspoken in the past about his desire to carry the rock previously. But Haley made it very clear to McClain what his role is. "I'm a fullback, and I'm here to win. Two things. Just two things: Getting Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones 1,000 (yards) apiece, that's what I'm here to do," McClain said.