Dynasty league Etiquette

deuce4321

Driller
ok i am in a salary cap dynasty league and have an etiquette question. One team in my league started the season 1-6 or so and the other 3 teams had .500 records or better and he realized that he had no shot of making the playoffs this season. He then decided to mail in this season by not playing his best players and making trades to stock up on draft picks and expiring contracts. Should this be allowable in your opinions? He is trying to improve HIS team by getting a top draft pick but he is giving his weekly opponents "free" wins. I benefited by going 2-0 against him but is this really a fair practice. How would you handle this. Part of me understands the strategy but I still dont like it. Any opinions are welcomed.

Vicious_Machine

Trade Deadline! Thats why most leagues have one. Any trades he makes prior to this that help his team are allowed. But once the deadline passes, then no more trades until off-season!

He is not doing anything wrong as long as the trade he is making is helping his team. His priority should only be his team, not the rest of the league :grin:

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
We try and encourage our coaches to field their best players/matchups every week regardless. We also instituted a trade deadline which sort of solved the "sell out to the contender" strategy.

It is hard to keep a dynasty league truly "dynasty" instead of it looking more like a redraft keeper league. Over the last couple of years if you take a look at rosters, there aren't many that have the same players on them today. But when you're trying to win, it's hard not to pull from the wire or make a trade and sacrifice some of your "projects" in favor of the W.

Roster size I guess has quite a bit to do with it as well. We are increasing ours next season bumping it from 30 up to 34 I think. I wouldn't mind seeing this as high as 40. There are about 5 or so guys that I'd love to pick up on speculation/situation but don't have the space to do so.

Trade deadline however is your quick fix for this type of behavior.

deuce4321

Driller
we have a late deadline (dec. 1st).
But what about him not starting a competitive team? he is starting IR guys, its that blatant.

aspera1163

JUST WIN BABY!!!

I wouldnt tank like that but trading for the future is accepted. In my opinion, if he sits a guy like Brady/Manning to start a guy like Tavaris Jackson or Drew Stanton, a vote should be taken to find a better owner.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
What does the league Commish say about this ??

Is this a money league ??

IMO the Commish should have taken control of this team and set starting line up's and cleaned up his IR players

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I dont have a problem with selling off parts of a team that wont win in order to make things better for the next season, but you still TRY to win.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I dont have a problem with selling off parts of a team that wont win in order to make things better for the next season, but you still TRY to win.
This is flat out TANKING! Had an similar issue in a league I am in and it pissed me off! By the time I picked up on it we just fixed it for this year and the new commish is going to deal with it for next year.

This is simply bull shit. Trades to build for next year is fine.....in fact, you have to expect it and any owner that is decent knows when to throw in the towel and build for next year.....HOWEVER, that does not mean you effect the integrity of the league and tank games by not starting your best line-up.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
This is flat out TANKING! Had an similar issue in a league I am in and it pissed me off! By the time I picked up on it we just fixed it for this year and the new commish is going to deal with it for next year.

This is simply bull shit. Trades to build for next year is fine.....in fact, you have to expect it and any owner that is decent knows when to throw in the towel and build for next year.....HOWEVER, that does not mean you effect the integrity of the league and tank games by not starting your best line-up.

:yeahthat:

i would definitely want to get rid of this guy

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I don't know about kicking him out. Were rules in place that say he can't do what he did? If he's not breaking rules, then he's being strategic, and in many walks of life, sports and business, strategic often means being a dick.

The rules will certainly need to be tightened up in the offseason, and guidelines in place as to when the line is crossed into sandbagging territory. IR players not being qualified to go in a lineup first and foremost.

In a dynasty format, I don't see anything wrong with shipping out players for youth/picks. Trying to stay competitive without the quality talent (most ww players) never paid off, for me personally, in the long term.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
ok i am in a salary cap dynasty league and have an etiquette question. One team in my league started the season 1-6 or so and the other 3 teams had .500 records or better and he realized that he had no shot of making the playoffs this season. He then decided to mail in this season by not playing his best players and making trades to stock up on draft picks and expiring contracts. Should this be allowable in your opinions? He is trying to improve HIS team by getting a top draft pick but he is giving his weekly opponents "free" wins. I benefited by going 2-0 against him but is this really a fair practice. How would you handle this. Part of me understands the strategy but I still dont like it. Any opinions are welcomed.

No, this is not fair. But if you have no protection in the rules, you are stuck.
In Hired Guns we have a competition clause in our rules, that states if an owner uses collusion or is not competitive or being involved, we have the right to remove that owner. For just this reason.

aspera1163

No, this is not fair. But if you have no protection in the rules, you are stuck.
In Hired Guns we have a competition clause in our rules, that states if an owner uses collusion or is not competitive or being involved, we have the right to remove that owner. For just this reason.

When I said vote to remove him, I said with the assumption that the rules were in place to do so because an owner is not being competitive.

With that being said, you are kind of stuck if you dont have anything in place. I would def look into getting with LM about setting up rules for min starting lineup requirements, trading draft picks, and competitiveness in general.

In Landry, as with most Dynasty leagues, you cannot trade future picks unless you are paid for the next season. That might be something to think about so people arent giving away their future hoping to win this year and then if they dont, they cant quit without paying dues.

Escrow

In HG I traded a few of my top players (TO, Cassel, AJohnson, Brees, Tamme), I got a lot of players in return(Cutler, Colt Mccoy, Moreno, Woodhead, Ronnie Brown, 2 1st rounders, 2 3rd rounders, and a 2nd rounder), but I fielded a competitive team every week!
There is no need to tank, but how is it any different from a "real" GM trading his best player to try to improve his/her team in the future?

deuce4321

Driller
So i have been thinking about this a lot and while i agree there is something wrong with not plugging in the most competitive lineup I feel it is going to be hard to police. This is a dynasty league with IDP and salary cap. so we have 17 starters and a 30 man roster. so he is starting players that he is paying for the season and some of the trades that he has made have given him draft picks and under preforming players with expiring contracts for this season. Think NY Knicks approach. So the issue is that he is sitting calvin johnson and brady every week for a non starting qb and an ired wr. I guess his thinking is that he doesnt want to accidentally win a game and hurt his draft pick when he has invested so much in essentially tanking this season for the future. I sort of get it and he is not breaking any rules. The reason i think its tough to police him is because we have all sat the "popular" pick to play a less known player on a hunch and if we add a rule that he has to play his highest scoring lineup then we loose this. This has been the problem that some of my league mates have brought up. In this situation does anyone have a rule that we can add that can prevent this type of behavior in the future?