Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb, who gets the offseason contract extension?

Mike

Administrator
Not to rain on all the playoff talk, but this almost has to be a news story at some point during the offseason, doesn't it?

McNabb and Kolb are both going into the last year of their contracts.

I predict one of these guys gets a deal this offseason. This almost has to happen, otherwise the Eagles risk going into 2010 with no quarterback. The guy I predict will get the extension? Kevin Kolb.

I know that Reid has gone out and already said that McNabb will be back in 2010 as the Eagles quarterback, he did not say it would be with a new contract, leaving the door open for McNabb to holdout or be traded. He also didn't say he would be back as a starter.

Predict the future, what happens with the Eagles quarterbacks this offseason?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
McNabb still has great trade value to a team who needs a franchise QB to sit on a 2010 or 2009 rookie for a year or two.

Kolb can do the job.

Kolb will be someones starter, and thats why he sits on my dynasty bench.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Not to rain on all the playoff talk, but this almost has to be a news story at some point during the offseason, doesn't it?

McNabb and Kolb are both going into the last year of their contracts.

I predict one of these guys gets a deal this offseason. This almost has to happen, otherwise the Eagles risk going into 2010 with no quarterback. The guy I predict will get the extension? Kevin Kolb.

I know that Reid has gone out and already said that McNabb will be back in 2010 as the Eagles quarterback, he did not say it would be with a new contract, leaving the door open for McNabb to holdout or be traded. He also didn't say he would be back as a starter.

Predict the future, what happens with the Eagles quarterbacks this offseason?

this has already been decided. When they reworked Donovan's contract they did so with the full intent of NOT extending. It was a move to keep McNabb happy, and pave the way for the future.

Philly makes a history of this...they rebuild, constantly retool, and don't overpay for vets.

My wish is they do trade McNabb.....to at least get some value from him. My guess is they could at least score a 2nd rounder from a Qb starving team like Carolina, or some others I stated in another thread.

Mike

Administrator
Getting good value in a trade for McNabb may not be so easy. We are talking about a guy that is a free agent at the end of the season, and you don't want to give up a high draft pick for a player like this unless you feel very confident that you can get him under a new contract.

I'm not sure that McNabb's value is that high among the rest of the teams in the league. If Favre was to call it quits, Minnesota might be a team willing to pay high for a short term solution.

I thought about the 49ers, but doing this would effectively be completely giving up on Smith before next season even started.

Seattle is rebuilding, making that situation a bad fit.

No way Philly sends McNabb to Washington. Don't think so anyway.

I doubt he wants to go to St. Louis and run for his life on every down.

Without looking, I am running out of teams that could possibly use McNabb on the roster.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Getting good value in a trade for McNabb may not be so easy. We are talking about a guy that is a free agent at the end of the season, and you don't want to give up a high draft pick for a player like this unless you feel very confident that you can get him under a new contract.

I'm not sure that McNabb's value is that high among the rest of the teams in the league. If Favre was to call it quits, Minnesota might be a team willing to pay high for a short term solution.

I thought about the 49ers, but doing this would effectively be completely giving up on Smith before next season even started.

Seattle is rebuilding, making that situation a bad fit.

No way Philly sends McNabb to Washington. Don't think so anyway.

I doubt he wants to go to St. Louis and run for his life on every down.

Without looking, I am running out of teams that could possibly use McNabb on the roster.

I agree you won't get much of McNabb. But Philly has great success taking multiple later round picks and jockeying around for higher later. Heck...I would be thrilled with a 2nd or 3rd rounder for McNabb. For the cap savings alone.

As for who would take him.....

I agree, he is a short term solution. But the feeling I have gotten so far is most don't feel this class of Qbs is really NFL ready. Those that are, or seem to be now have injury question marks.

So you snag a McNabb for the short term, and then draft for your future long term....

I still think the best fits are:
Carolina - Fox needs to win NOW
Cleveland - Anderson is not the answer, and Quinn may not be play ready due to foot injury.
Minnesota - if Favre gone, HC was McNabb's old OC...and they will still want to win, and don't have a long term option after.
Buffalo - they have alot of pieces in place...and have not had luck in fixing the long term issue anyway. Owens back then?????