Do WR values go up/down when star RB returns?

brtdud7

Case in point: Roddy White

I always thought that it could go both ways...

On one hand Roddy's value can go down because, obviously, Michael Turner will get more work

On the other hand, maybe Roddy's value goes up because now defenses have to account for both Turner and Roddy, so that might give him some advantages.

Is there any definitive answer on this? Not just with Roddy, but with WRs in general (except Ronnie Brown and SJax of course, because their WRs suck anyway)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The is no definite answer IMO. Too many factors involved to say for sure. Generally speaking, I would see the star RB's presence as a good thing for the WR. Take Minny for instance. Last year if AP would have went down I would have taken rice down just a notch, AP keeps the defense honest, no AP, more attention to the WR.

Just my theory on it, but it all can change with the specific situation.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The is no definite answer IMO. Too many factors involved to say for sure. Generally speaking, I would see the star RB's presence as a good thing for the WR. Take Minny for instance. Last year if AP would have went down I would have taken rice down just a notch, AP keeps the defense honest, no AP, more attention to the WR.

Just my theory on it, but it all can change with the specific situation.
I tend to agree here. Usually, a strong running game only helps open up the passing game since the defense will cheat Safties in to help the run.

However, I will say it depends also on the team's offense. There are some teams that simply only want to focus ON the run. In those cases the Wrs may be devalued...especially if there is more than one solid target. In White's case this year...his value dropped some....when Gonzales was the main passing focus.

So buyer beware depending on the offensive philosophy