2008 Stats:
  • 44 Receptions
  • 485 yards
  • 4 Receiving TD's
  • 243 rush yards
  • 3 Rushing TD's
Draft Projection - Round 2-3

NFL Impact

Another in seemingly long line of WR's who played at many spots for their schools, Williams is the first guy I see someone taking a panic pick on. Williams has good size, great speed, and scored on punt and kick returns as well as the listed stats last year playing in Penn State's "Spread HD" offense. The knock of Williams is his love of throwing up those two reception clunkers, but in his defense he had a guy with the talent of your grandmother throwing him the rock until this season, when other talent emerged to share the wealth with. I see someone snagging him in the upper 2nd round when he would have been there in the 3rd. What I like about him over Harvin and Maclin is his ability to stay healthy and in the game. I think this guy is going to be a good one. What do you think of Derrick? Discuss.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Williams stood out at the Senior Bowl week IMO. He showed that he is a legit WR who can do a lot of things. Size is a small concern, but many WR's of his stature have proven you don't have to be 6'3 to be a top WR in this league. I like him as a prospect and feel he will have a solid NFL career.

RLLD

I am disinclined to subscribe to Williams becoming anything more than a really good punt/kick returner at this time.

While his 40 time looks very nice I never really felt that I saw him use it very well to break open; perhaps due to poor route running more so than lack of speed. That is a good thing, they can coach his routes, but you cant coach speed.

I find him diminutive and a poor blocker, if he does see the field in the NFL it will be in four or five WR sets, or due to injury. JMHO

dukdown

Banned
Outside of maybe Andre Smith, Williams cost himself the most money of maybe anyone with his 40 times at the Combine.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
What was his official time Duk, will update above. i know it was slow. Guy was on the rise after the senior bowl but he looks to be heading the other way now.