Derick Ward signs with Tampa

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Just caught this story. Looks like he landed a 4 year deal with some good coin up front. All signs point to him being the primary back with Graham spelling him.

Linky forthcoming.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Schefter now reporting:

Running back Derrick Ward has agreed to terms with Tampa Bay on a four-year contract worth $17 million. Ward will make $6 million in guarantees in the first year, $9.25 million over two years, and $13 million over three years.

Damn, that be starter money in Tampa.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
that is some good coin! Never was sold on Graham, I feel this is an upgrade for sure.

efactor

Coming at you
Count me among the skeptical when it comes to Ward. Running behind a great line as part of a RBBC with a bone crusher like Jacobs is one thing. To be part of a RBBC with Ernest Graham, running behind a young (guess up and coming) line on a team with huge QB questions is another.

I just don't see the value for the money they spent on a 30 year old (I know, little wear and tear) running back............

Count me among the skeptical when it comes to Ward. Running behind a great line as part of a RBBC with a bone crusher like Jacobs is one thing. To be part of a RBBC with Ernest Graham, running behind a young (guess up and coming) line on a team with huge QB questions is another.

I just don't see the value for the money they spent on a 30 year old (I know, little wear and tear) running back............

Couldn't agree more.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY

Glad others are thinking this. Ward just isn't that talented. You'll see a blue collar Droughns effort for a couple years and then he'll be a complete afterthought.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
and if so, whats the problem with that? ward and graham can be a very effective pair then and get the job done. this team has quickly retooled a broken offense. with a couple of signings and deals, they now have:

RB: Earnest Graham, Derrick Ward
WR: Antonio Bryant, Michael Clayton
TE: Kellen Winslow

its not going to set the world on fire, but its the best offense tampa has had in quite awhile. just lots of solid all around contributors. add in a pretty good, young, and improving offensive line and its even better. and now you know why tampa is trying to get a jay cutler in here to complete the gig.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
and if so, whats the problem with that? ward and graham can be a very effective pair then and get the job done. this team has quickly retooled a broken offense. with a couple of signings and deals, they now have:

RB: Earnest Graham, Derrick Ward
WR: Antonio Bryant, Michael Clayton
TE: Kellen Winslow

its not going to set the world on fire, but its the best offense tampa has had in quite awhile. just lots of solid all around contributors. add in a pretty good, young, and improving offensive line and its even better. and now you know why tampa is trying to get a jay cutler in here to complete the gig.
How is getting broken or defective or cheap parts fixing things?

I will give you a ward/graham combo can work at Rb. It is certainly no worse than Graham and et al last year.
Wr is very, very bad. Clayton is a lost cause...the last three years show that. Bryant could well be a one year wonder. On top of that is no depth.

Winslow is the caveat. If he can stay healthy, he could be huge for Tampa.

net, i see at best status quo from last year...but thinking the poor Qb situation....I think worse numbers is more expected.

Runnik's Hambones

1st, Ward is 28, will be 29 in August. 2nd, in 2007 he had 125 attempts and had a 4.8 yard average. Last year, off of 182 attempts he averaged 5.6 yards a carry. He also had over 40 receptions last year.

Our offensive line is young, yes, but they are good. We have the best O-line right now, the Bucs have ever had, and they can run block pretty well. With Graham and Ward, I'm not worried at all. This is, IMO, a better move than even Kellen Winslow was, because our QB situation is still up in the air (I heard a rumor this morning that the Bucs would talk with FA Rex Grossman - if so, shoot me now!).

I don't see what the worry is here. I like Ward.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
How is getting broken or defective or cheap parts fixing things?

lets look at the numbers.

four years in the nfl... not a lot of touches, but half a dozen TDs to go along with a great YPC of over 5 yards per carry... lots of nfl teams seemingly interested in his services to give him a shot at the job...

oh no wait, that is michael turner feb '08 we are talking about. i wonder how he ended up doing in atlanta this past season?

ward is one year older and has a few more touches but almost identical results to turner before last year. turner had 228 carries for 1257 yards and 6 total TDs. ward currently has 342 carries for 1750 yards and 6 total TDs.

i dont see whats not to like about this signing. im not saying hes a lock to be the next michael turner, but you can certainly see plenty of things to like in this guy. sounds like a guy you want to give the reins and see what he can do with the job.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
lets look at the numbers.

four years in the nfl... not a lot of touches, but half a dozen TDs to go along with a great YPC of over 5 yards per carry... lots of nfl teams seemingly interested in his services to give him a shot at the job...

oh no wait, that is michael turner feb '08 we are talking about. i wonder how he ended up doing in atlanta this past season?

ward is one year older and has a few more touches but almost identical results to turner before last year. turner had 228 carries for 1257 yards and 6 total TDs. ward currently has 342 carries for 1750 yards and 6 total TDs.

i dont see whats not to like about this signing. im not saying hes a lock to be the next michael turner, but you can certainly see plenty of things to like in this guy. sounds like a guy you want to give the reins and see what he can do with the job.
:scared: you seriously think Ward is equivalent to Turner?!?!?!? Seriously?

Now lets address the other issues you missed. Other than Bryant they have no Wrs. Qb situation is a mess. Yes they have Winslow....when was the last time he played a whole season?

Again, I don't have an issue with Ward per say. I agreed with you that Ward/Graham should equate to Graham/Dunn/whoever this year. Probably better.

But I don't see Tampa any better due to it though.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i specifically said that i WASNT calling him the next turner, but boy do the numbers look similar. looks like a guy thats at least worth a shot to me.

and the point isnt that tampa is going to break offensive records, but a week or two ago, the team was rudderless without garcia on offense, brooks on defense, and many other veterans gone as well, plus the new head coach. i just feel like this team is quietly making good mid level signings to put itself on the right track.

dukdown

Banned
Unless he can play quarterback, not too much to get excited about imo. I'd be terrified if I was a Buccaneer fan for 2009.