Darren Sproles also cut?!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Wow, if PT cruiser can avoid the hacksaw he could have some nice value next year.....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
We're trying hard to trade Cruiser as coaches think Robinson, Caddet and a new guy can carry the load. If PT leaves Robinson is going to be a nice pick up in fantasy play.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ha. Ask and you shall receive. This just posted on rotoworld.

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick expects the Saints' backfield to be "the Khiry Robinson show" in 2014.

We tend to agree. The Saints are moving on from Darren Sproles and quite possibly Pierre Thomas, not only to create salary cap space but in a transition of coach Sean Payton's ground-game mindset. New Orleans is going to try to field more of a drive-sustaining run game going forward, as opposed to the change of pace it was with Sproles and Thomas. The arrow is screaming upward on Robinson's Dynasty outlook. Mark Ingram's role will also increase.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The staff is pumped about Robinson and think he can finally give the Saints their much needed ball control on the ground offense that they've lacked for years. It is hoped that we'll be able to hold leads now instead of pitifully giving them up in the late stages of games because we couldn't run the ball worth a dam.

cctekguy

Staff member
Is this really "a transition of Sean Payton's mindset" or is it "selling the farm to keep the bell cow?

Not sure the mindset change isn't out of financial necessity.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com

According to Pro Football Focus, Robinson tied for third among all RBs with 0.47 Fantasy points per opportunity – the number of points per carries or pass routes run. He forced 10 missed tackles on 54 carries, the seventh-best rate among RBs with fewer than 100 touches.

An undrafted rookie, Robinson was solid in the regular season (4.1 yards per carry) and better in the playoffs when he gained 102 yards on 21 carries (4.9 ypc). He got a team-high 13 totes in the divisional loss at Seattle, hammering in a 2-yard touchdown and adding a 13-yard catch. He brought a toughness the Saints' ground game had lacked. Bill Parcells compared Robinson to Hall of Famer Curtis Martin....

Coach Sean Payton told reporters he's "very excited" about the development of Ingram and Robinson, saying: "I think those two backs just from a physical power-running standpoint, especially down the stretch, they were tough."

This kid has real break out potential.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Is this really "a transition of Sean Payton's mindset" or is it "selling the farm to keep the bell cow?

Not sure the mindset change isn't out of financial necessity.

You watched the Saints last year. Sproles wasn't needed and was not used at all in the running game. This trend started well before the Robinson kid saw the field. Moore was next to useless especially as compared to previous years when he earned the respect and gratitude of Saint's fans. He became injury prone and saw little usage.

Sure a huge part of their departure is the need to clear cap space. Read the news, it's happening all over the NFL. I trust Coach and Loomis to know what they're doing and fully support our letting go of these players now. In the past we were too likely to hold onto players past their prime.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The only option I see on Thomas is to cut him like the rest. He does not seperate himself from the FA class and due to that no team is going to give extra value for him.

I do agree that PT is likely gone, but it will be from a cut and not trade IMO.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, I know I am old, and my mind is slipping, but don't they still have an RB they used a first round draft pick on??? You know uh Ingram??

cctekguy

Staff member
For those of us who were already looking at him, would you PLEASE just shut up

Even an "average" fantasy owner has picked up on this, Phi. Mud isn't letting any cats out of the bag.

...but if you think Robinson is a sneaky sleeper, well.....WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ingram is still there because he's cheap not good. He did show a little something towards the end of this past season so one has the right to hope he's not out of the picture.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Even an "average" fantasy owner has picked up on this, Phi. Mud isn't letting any cats out of the bag.

...but if you think Robinson is a sneaky sleeper, well.....WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE!
All joking aside, if you look at early mock drafts, he isn't even touched. Not saying savy folks here don't know, but he isn't as clear cut as you would think...

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
I know Payton's an innovative mind, and sometimes he changes what the offense uses for its bread and butter, but the Saints haven't had a 1000 yard back since Deuce McAllister's last good year in 2006. I have as much hope in Khiry as anybody, but you think he's going to break that trend competing for touches with Ingram and PT (who they just signed to an extension)? I'll buy that when I see it. If the Saints run more, I envision Payton being even more committed to a platoon, which means you never know whose number he'll call. Robinson's value obviously increases over last year, but I wouldn't go nuts.