Dallas Cowboys vs Minnesota Vikings - Official Game Thread

Mike

Administrator
Dallas went farther than expected, so I can't complain too much. Changes need to be made (as I already bitched about). Marion Barber cannot be on this team from this point forward, he is a distraction, and the 3rd running back on this team, at best.

Newman has the talent, but his head simply gets lost far too often. Is this a coaching issue, or is it simply Newman.

The offensive line is decent, providing the starters are all healthy. Too much dependency on the starters. Improvements need to be made here.

Cut Roy Williams immediately. I don't really blame him, but there is not trust between QB and receiver, and it will never work.

Did I mention cutting Barber? Just adding for emphasis.

I could care less about Romo's numbers in this game. The offense around him was doing nothing, especially with Barber in the backfield, and the guy was playing in desperation. I challenge any quarterback in the NFL to step into the situation Romo was in today and succeed.

I hate it that Romo has to be perfect, or is otherwise considered a failure. The Cowboys made it to the divisional round largely due to his play, and won the division largely due to his play, when they weren't given much of a shot to even make the playoffs by most.

I guess it bothers me how it seems there is an anticipation for failure with this guy, when he is in one of the toughest situations of any player in the league, and made it there without even being drafted. I only say this because I know that the expert writers out there are going to have a field day with his stats, much like they had a field day with his mistake on the ever popular botched hold against Seattle. Why is it that a play like that, by an undrafted QB gets so much publicity, but a first round pick QB that gave up the ball for a game winning TD will get quickly forgotten? I can't but think that had Romo beeen picked in the first round, and went to a different team, he would be viewed completely differently.

and just for effect, Barber sucks. this point needs to be driven home as much as possible. :)

cctekguy

Staff member
Why is it that a play like that, by an undrafted QB gets so much publicity, but a first round pick QB that gave up the ball for a game winning TD will get quickly forgotten? I can't but think that had Romo beeen picked in the first round, and went to a different team, he would be viewed completely differently.

Wow Mike....

That's some major league whining. :tissue:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Giving up awfully quick it looks like.

Dallas is controlling time of possession, just struggling with Rice. Let's see what Phillips can do in terms of defensive adjustments at halftime.

Felix was running great, so lets give Barber more playing time! What the Fock!

Thats why Mike. I knew theyd pull this crap. Just like the early drive where Felix the cat gets them down there and then they break the rhythm of the whole drive by forcing Barber.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Dallas went farther than expected, so I can't complain too much. Changes need to be made (as I already bitched about). Marion Barber cannot be on this team from this point forward, he is a distraction, and the 3rd running back on this team, at best.

I agree. For the offense they have, there is so much potential wasted in Tashard Choice sitting on his ass.

Newman has the talent, but his head simply gets lost far too often. Is this a coaching issue, or is it simply Newman.

Its Newman

The offensive line is decent, providing the starters are all healthy. Too much dependency on the starters. Improvements need to be made here.

Yep.

Cut Roy Williams immediately. I don't really blame him, but there is not trust between QB and receiver, and it will never work.

Williams should be traded or given his outright release. This is a deep WR class.

Did I mention cutting Barber? Just adding for emphasis.

Get some trade value for him. Send his ass to Houston.

I could care less about Romo's numbers in this game. The offense around him was doing nothing, especially with Barber in the backfield, and the guy was playing in desperation. I challenge any quarterback in the NFL to step into the situation Romo was in today and succeed.

The greats will. Romo is a gifted QB, but he is just destined to be a B+ QB. If they do the right things around him and give him the other half of the field hed do fine. He is perfect to pilot, hes not the guy to overcome the failures of others, but then again only a couple in this league are.

I hate it that Romo has to be perfect, or is otherwise considered a failure. The Cowboys made it to the divisional round largely due to his play, and won the division largely due to his play, when they weren't given much of a shot to even make the playoffs by most.

I agree with this assessement, but the world remembers the disaster against Seattle and the demolition vs the Eagles. Thats the extent of things. People dont have the trust in him to get it done. I think even you said in this very thread he was back to being Romo.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
I missed the game today. It appears the Vikes' defense did very well and their offense wasn't shabby.

Mike

Administrator
hes not the guy to overcome the failures of others, but then again only a couple in this league are.

I think even you said in this very thread he was back to being Romo.

broke this down to a couple quotes.

As for the first quote, tell me which two quarterbacks can overcome the failures of others. Don't tell me Brady, Manning, or Brees, because all I will respond with is give me their healthy receivers. Ask Philip Rivers how much it sucks to face tough defense that is hitting on all cylinders.

As or the second, I was commenting on the stupid play that Romo made, resulting in the INT. Simply pissed at that point.

I simply don't know of another QB in this league where you would have gotten a better result, given the same situation.

Jared Allen is likely the best pass rusher in the league, and he got the gift of going up against an inferior opponent for most of this game. Throw in how Edwards stepped up his game, and there was simply no way Romo had a chance.

The Cowboys simply couldn't get it done against an all around better opponent. Nothing to be ashamed of as far as I am concerned, other than personnel decisions that must be addressed in the offseason.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Sure Manning can. All Manning does is consistenly win with whatever is around him.

What you are telling me is if we remove Manning and insert Romo the Colts would be a 12 win team every year?

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
broke this down to a couple quotes.

As for the first quote, tell me which two quarterbacks can overcome the failures of others. Don't tell me Brady, Manning, or Brees, because all I will respond with is give me their healthy receivers. Ask Philip Rivers how much it sucks to face tough defense that is hitting on all cylinders.

As or the second, I was commenting on the stupid play that Romo made, resulting in the INT. Simply pissed at that point.

I simply don't know of another QB in this league where you would have gotten a better result, given the same situation.

Jared Allen is likely the best pass rusher in the league, and he got the gift of going up against an inferior opponent for most of this game. Throw in how Edwards stepped up his game, and there was simply no way Romo had a chance.

The Cowboys simply couldn't get it done against an all around better opponent. Nothing to be ashamed of as far as I am concerned, other than personnel decisions that must be addressed in the offseason.

So your admitting the Viking are a better team then the Cowboys?

:worried3:

pleasedon'tbanme

Mike

Administrator
Sure Manning can. All Manning does is consistenly win with whatever is around him.

What you are telling me is if we remove Manning and insert Romo the Colts would be a 12 win team every year?

Peyton Manning is the best QB the NFL has seen in a long time. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and only one has the luxury of having Manning.

It took that great player 9 years as a starter to win a Super Bowl. Remember that game? it was won with defense and a solid/consistent running game. Remember how Bob Sanders really led that team to a Super Bowl victory?

9 years as a starter.... Romo has been facing people wanting to push him out of town since he got here, yet at the same time, praising the greatness of how Marion Barber "runs hard".

Remote Controller

Barber looks done! I don't understand why Choice doesn't get more chances. Talk about running hard!!! Then use Jones for change of pace, or let these two split series and go with the hot hand. Barber was done when he got the starting job, as Mike tried to tell me for 2 years. Had they maintained him in his role I believe he would have still performed well yesterday, but dude can't carry the load early then finish a game.

Did they even say Roy Williams during the game??

I thought it was really cool and classy that the first Cowboy who met Brett on the field after the game, was Jerry Jones. I also liked the genuine feeling I got out of watching Brett and Romo meet. I guarantee you that Romo would be welcomed about anywhere if he were to become available. He is a top 8 QB talent in a league that has never had this kind of QB play. This is as good as it gets when it comes to QB's. There are a few though that need to change a few things so they can last a few more years.

Remote Controller

Jerry Jones said that the team was gonna go as far as Romo takes them and he was looking forward to that going forward! Then someone compared the team to the 91 squad, just about there. (can't remember who)

Remote Controller

I love Miles Austin. What an impact year! Did I notice him slightly out of character to start the game? Was he just pumped up and trying to get others pumped up, or was he a bit out of character to start the game?

Remote Controller

Jerry Jones said that the team was gonna go as far as Romo takes them and he was looking forward to that going forward! Then someone compared the team to the 91 squad, just about there. (can't remember who)
From a few weeks ago. This goes along with Monger's post on the comparison. I originally heard this from one of the analystes from ESPN.