Cooley = fantasy gold this season?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld,

Donovan McNabb indicated that the Redskins will feature the tight end in new coordinator Kyle Shanahan's offense.

The plan makes sense, with Santana Moss coming off knee surgery and little behind him at wide receiver. "The success Houston had last year with Owen Daniels before he got hurt is something that we'd like to do in this offense," said McNabb, "as well as what Dallas does with (Jason) Witten." Shanahan was the Texans' playcaller when Daniels was lighting up the league prior to his ACL tear. The news sounds promising for Chris Cooley.
Source: Dallas Morning News

CatFish will love this story.

Coachnorm

Cooley has been gaining a fantasy reputation in recent years. It used to be that I could draft a great TE and then later on it's wow Cooley is still available. Not so any more, dang nabbit!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I was able to grab Cooley a couple of seasons but this year I'm sure CatFish will use him as a keeper. She dropped him from her team last season when he was hurt and picked him back up off of waivers a few weeks later. He'll only cost her a 16th round to keep.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I have the luxury of having Cooley and Celek as my 2 TE's in a Dynasty league. I was very excited on that front when McNabb was dealt to the Skins. Celek won't suffer a dropoff because Kolb's a typical young QB who will look at him as a security blanket, and McNabb's the one who made Celek relevant in the 1st place.

Coachnorm

I was able to grab Cooley a couple of seasons but this year I'm sure CatFish will use him as a keeper. She dropped him from her team last season when he was hurt and picked him back up off of waivers a few weeks later. He'll only cost her a 16th round to keep.

Smart Lady! :)

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
Watch out for Fred Davis. He may take some of the spark away from Cooley. Maybe quite a bit.

Coachnorm

Status Alert:
Cooley has been split reps with Fred Davis during the most recent minicamp, the Washington Post reports. He has recovered from a broken ankle suffered in 2009. (May 3)

cctekguy

Staff member
Cooley goes the way of Todd "burning rubbish" Heap this year but don't let that stop you from making a trade for him.

A 16th rounder is about right for him.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Cooley may play WR too?

rotoworld,
Chris Cooley has been lining up out wide in some packages during Redskins OTA practices.

This is a way for the Skins to get both of their gifted tight ends on the field at the same time, with Fred Davis as an in-line TE. It could also help fill Washington's hole at No. 3 receiver. Fully recovered from last year's ankle injury, Cooley is a solid bounce-back candidate, though Davis will command targets too. We like Cooley as an end-game TE1 pick in fantasy leagues.
Source: Washington Post

That would be one way for fantasy owners to keep him on the field more.

hacim13

I'm not sure about fantasy gold. Maybe fantasy silver.

When healthy last year, his average points per game put him outside the top 10 for TE (based on my leagues scoring system, pretty standard, 10yds=1 TD=6) and I'm not convinced that McNabb is going to work out in Washington.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rank Cooley somewhere between 8-12 as TE and feel comfortable with him as my TE1 if I was solid at the other skill positions.

Coachnorm

It is encouraging to hear that Cooley is being used at The WR position. Going into to this year there was no doubt about the talents of Colley and Davis at TE. The only thing to worry about was, were there enough balls to go around. After Santana Moss Cooley and Davis may be the second and third best passcatchers for the Skins. It sounds like maybe the Redskins are starting to realize that also when they use Cooley as a WR.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
cbssports.com,
Redskins tight ends coach Jon Embree told the Washington Post that Chris Cooley will be asked to block this season, refusing to label him as a receiving tight end. Cooley has averaged about four catches per game over his career with 30 touchdowns, but Embree said he'll stay in to help block if the defense he's playing against warrants it. He said the same thing of fellow Redskins TE Fred Davis. "It doesn't matter if it's a young line or a veteran guy, if you're going against Dwight Freeney, people help," Embree said. "So it's more your opponent that dictates what you do."
Analysis: The Redskins are using both Cooley and Davis in a two-tight end package that might be more utilized than in seasons past, though that's speculation on our part. We've also read about Cooley working as a potential slot receiver, which would give him more opportunities. Cooley has proven to be a fantastic receiver, and we'd be stunned if the Redskins ignored his talents -- but they could in some situations since the Redskins will start a rookie left tackle who will need some help. Another knock against Cooley is his weak touchdown production: Just three in his last two seasons (23 games). The broken ankle he had last season is also a reason to pass on him, but these other issues make Cooley just as suspect. Consider him a good low-end No. 1 Fantasy TE, one who can be had with a middle- to late-round pick in drafts.

Remote Controller

rotoworld,
Chris Cooley has been lining up out wide in some packages during Redskins OTA practices.

This is a way for the Skins to get both of their gifted tight ends on the field at the same time, with Fred Davis as an in-line TE. It could also help fill Washington's hole at No. 3 receiver. Fully recovered from last year's ankle injury, Cooley is a solid bounce-back candidate, though Davis will command targets too. We like Cooley as an end-game TE1 pick in fantasy leagues.
Source: Washington Post

That would be one way for fantasy owners to keep him on the field more.
It's funny that when everyone talks about Cooley they automatically talk about packages.:eek lol!

Remote Controller

If it were not for McNabb, I would be downgrading Cooley substantially this year. With McNabb, I have downgraded him from the top 6 or 7 to the top 12. Davis is part of the reason and the late season injury the other. I don't feel McNabb will lock on to him, I just feel mcNabb will move the chain a few more times.