Conference Realignment, part 27

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I realize this topic was beat into the ground last year and now it's back in the forefront of the sports newspage, but here is just one of a million different takes on how to best set up a superconference structure. I took into consideration that these conferences could tell the NCAA to either adopt a playoff system or get bent, tried to maintain geographical relevence/rivalries, and maintain as much competitive balance as possible. I also took some of the more respectable currently non-BCS schools and sprinkled them in to help balance out the divisions within conferences. Some omissions could be absorbed into these leagues for basketball purposes. (Vanderbilt, UNLV, etc)

Big East (North): Boston College, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, Penn St, Louisville, Kentucky
Big East (South): West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, Va Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest

SEC (East): Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Florida, Florida, Central Florida, Miami, Clemson, South Carolina
SEC (West): Florida St, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Arkansas

Heartland (formerly Big 10)
East: Ohio St, Cincinnati, Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Northwestern
West: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, Illinois

Mid-South (Formerly Big 12)
North: Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Tulsa, Baylor
South: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, Houston

Big West (Formerly Pac-10)
North: Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington St, Boise St, Stanford, Cal
South: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, BYU, Nevada

Why would this work? Why would it not?
Before you worry about traditional yearly rivalries, consider that most regional rivalries would be intact, some older rivalries would be resurrected, and with this model in place, the number of non-conference games would be reduced drastically. 1 or 2 at the most with a 12-game regular season schedule. That could be your rivalry game, and would all but eliminate the worthless patsy 55-10 games we see scattered throughout the first 3 weeks of the current regular season.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Its good, but Id like to see you do one based off whats going to happen in a real world scenario, with crap like TCU in the friggin Big East

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I thought about that, but since the real world seems to be ridiculous as far as this context, I tried to make sense. LOL

I'm with you Sarge.. TCU to the Big East is almost as dumb as Oklahoma to the Pac-12. It's so glaringly obvious that TCU based that choice on going to a BCS conference that wouldn't be as challenging as the Big 12 or SEC, and the Big East clearly wanted to spread into the Texas High school recruiting hotbeds. Just like they did with USF and the Florida recruiting scene.

Zach

First thought before I delve into it is that there is no way in hell the Big10 changes it name to anything else

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Not bad but it'd never fly. First off what about teams in the MAC and MWC conferences? The Big 12 falling apart will get it all rolling soon. I feel were headed to some sort of realignment, not nessacarily a 4 sets of 16 super conferences but something similar. Something that will force the NCAA to implement a playoff system. Get rid of this crap bcs system.

Zach

Heartland (formerly Big 10)
East: Ohio St, Cincinnati, Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Northwestern
West: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, Illinois

The ones in red I do not ever see becomeing a part of the BigTen - they do nothing for the CIC side of the house (hell to this day I really believe the Big Ten never asked Notre Dame to join. Notre Dame is a decent undergrad school - but they are nothing when it comes to post-grad work... which is what the academic part of the BigTen is all about

(Guess I need to start some of my education over again... the BigTen conference as a conference pulls in some money. What they pull in is pennies compared to what the CIC pulls in - entire point is that you can not ignore the CIC when you are playing around with these things - it is the power broker when it comes who the BigTen invites)

http://www.cic.net/Home.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I'm with you Sarge.. TCU to the Big East is almost as dumb as Oklahoma to the Pac-12. It's so glaringly obvious that TCU based that choice on going to a BCS conference that wouldn't be as challenging as the Big 12 or SEC, and the Big East clearly wanted to spread into the Texas High school recruiting hotbeds. Just like they did with USF and the Florida recruiting scene.

And its not going to work for the Big East. Do you want to freeze your ass off in Pittsburgh, Syracuse, or UConn, go to Louisville and get shot, or head off to West Virginia and get thrown out of a strip club full of 3 toothed hookers with your coach................

Zach

Obviously the Sarge is a regular at West Virginia strip clubs... just not sure why he is so intent on inspecting their mouths (not sure I would want to know the answer to that either)