Close Call #21: Braylon Edwards vs Eddie Royal

Close Call #21: Braylon Edwards vs Eddie Royal

• Total voters

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If you need a refresher on the rules for the series or a run down of previous match-ups? Here is the rules and history thread:
"Close Calls 2009" - A Sports Outlaw Exclusive
Remember, this is based on re-draft leagues and non ppr scoring.

Today's Match-up:

Braylon Edwards vs Eddie Royal

Last Year's Stats:
Braylon Edwards - 16 gms - 55 rec - 873 rec yds - 3 rec TD
Eddie Royal - 16 gms - 91 rec - 980 yds - 5 rec TD's

Today's Match-up is between two mid tier WR's. Edwards went from 16 TD's one year to 16 drops the next with just 3 TD's. Can Edwards bounce back or will be disappoint again this year? Royal was a pleasant surprise last year as he had a fantastic rookie year. Can he avoid the sophmore slump and succeed in the new system? These are just some of the questions you will need to answer in today's close call.

cctekguy

Staff member
I don't want either one of them, but I'd take Royal over Edwards.

Royal is unappealing to me because of his situation on a team in flux and a QB not known for his passing ability.

Edwards is unappealing to me because he is Edwards.

Catch Freaks

Eddie Royal is going to be the next Wes Welker in Josh McDaniels scheme. The guy never lost a step once monster ball threat Marshall came back.

I do like Edwards better this year now that Quinn will be the QB, but still have to worry about him being the one true threat out there in Cleveland. Even though Robiskie is a potential sleeper, I still don't see Edwards getting away from the double-teams.

bodey24

Staff member
In a PPR league I would definitely take Royal. In a basic scoring league I am leaning a little more towards Edwards.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ive got to go with Royal. He is working at every WR spot. Edwards is barely working period.

I think Royal fits that Welker mold. Given Orton aint no Brady, Id assure 75 receptions 800 yards and 6 scores as a baseline. With Edwards...God knows what your going to get..maybe 60 700 and 2?

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Who the hell is voting for Braylon Ed... oh...

OK nobody.... I guess this website is a bastion of sanity - how refreshing.

Mike

Administrator
Going with Braylon Edwards. Would have preferred a "too close to call" option though on this one, LOL.

Both are likely to be right at or possibly above the 1000 yard mark, and 6-8 touchdowns.

I go with Edwards though because he has shown he can put up the big numbers, and should have plenty opportunity to do so again, especially with Winslow out of town.

ExperiencedRookie

Not particularly a decision I want to have to make right here.

There is a enough uncertainty among both of these guys to make them slightly risky.

The smart money appears to be on Royal here for less risk, but I really think Edwards has a higher ceiling.

Considering the fact that these Close Calls are done in the NO PPR fashion, I'm going to take Braylon.

PUKE

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Edwards will forever be overdrafted due to the unrealistic hopes of another 16-TD season. His anomaly was directly related to Derek Anderson's improbable 2007 bustout, which also won't happen again.
Same theory can be applied to Soulja Winslow.
Braylon's basically an average WR2 or an above average WR3/Flex whereas Royal should maintain solid WR2 status with more value in PPR's.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Realistically, with Orton at QB what is Royal's yardage and TD ceiling?

I posted an idea of what I thought. I feel Royals low end and Braylons likely high end are near the same.

Orton, at the moment (subject to change at any time) seems to be about the same as the Ouinn/Anderson guys.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Orton's ok for a guy like Royal who didn't sport a real impressive YPC to begin with. If Moreno develops into a featured 3-down back, that can only help the WR corps, but I'd need to reattack this next January to see how things panned out.
Cleveland should've shopped Edwards hard for someone's commitee RB (who needed a WR.. maybe Oakland for Michael Bush?) instead of draft picks. Quite honestly I like Robiskie better than Braylon going forward.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This one is tough. I do expect Edwards to return to expectations this year. I think last year was a fluke, and I think he is playing for contract or trade this year...so wants to shine.

However, I love Royal. I think he is going to be W.Welker West...and Orton while not great...will find him plenty of times. I also think Denver's defense won't be very good again...so alot of passing will be coming. I also think Marshall will be missing games this year either by suspension...or injury ( hip still an issue) and as such Royal is the #1.

it will be close...but I will go Royal.

tblGoBlue

Going with the Maize and Blue. Edwards will bounce back this year... I'm just not sure about Royal so I'm taking Edwards by a hair due to him being 1st string on the team.