Chip Kelly

Remote Controller

I think he might have been a good fit for the team the 49er's fielded at the beginning of the year. Kaps, Bush, Bolden, Hyde, Davis, Torrey Smith.

cctekguy

Staff member
Never been a Forty-Whiners fan, but they just moved up a notch.

Easier to like now that Jerry's Showboys are so easy to hate. (Cowboys Fan When 9'ers were a dynasty)

Hope E is happy with the pick.

efactor

Coming at you
I like the selection. Will be interesting anyway. I think the guy can defintely coach. Hiring a good staff is obviously key. Plus, not having GM duties will be a plus for him.

I hope he gives Gabbert a chance. I think he could run that offense. He's athletic and gets the ball out quickly and more accurately than Kaep. But, WTF do I know? Maybe Kaep can be the man in that system, but for the record, I don't see it.

Like the move better than Jackson, Coughlin or Shanny.

efactor

Coming at you
I was never excited about Jackson. Had great offensive talent in Cinci. Not sure he maximized their ability. We will see I guess.

ExperiencedRookie

This is going to be an out of control wild fire. A 2 year project that ends embarrassingly bad. That roster is so devoid of talent and Kelly has a bad rap now. What free agents are going to want to come and play for him??

Not to mention that division and how tough it is. This is going to be a disaster

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Yep! He apparently had to take what he could get and beggars don't get to be choosers but as I said he needed to go play against weak defenses, preferably in the college ranks. He's going to get hammered.

freyguy

Pick to Click
With a defense that's pretty terrible and will get a lot more snaps than usual this is a dumpster full of gasoline, who's got the match?

On the other hand he's not going to be making the personnel decisions.

efactor

Coming at you
Some of you crack me up.

SF is not devoid of talent and they have a high selection this year. Not saying they seriously compete over the next two years, but amazing what putting the right system in place and getting the right QB to run it can do. SF management hopefully realizes that it won't be a quick fix but it's also not the dumpster fire it's made out to be

Also, 12 picks in the next draft, 50 million under the cap (3rd most in league) and a new stadium that generates revenue will help. It's vogue to criticize all things related to SF right now but getting the stadium done was huge. Not an easy task either and York does deserve credit for that. Granted, location isn't perfect but not a lot of unused space in the city to build on.

They need to use their cap space wisely, hopefully on a guard or two. They may have solved the RT position with Trent Brown (eventual move to LT possible) and looks like Anthony Davis is a sure thing to come back next year and would move to RG. Kilgore is a good center and Staley should still be good for a while longer. OL will be much improved.

Would like to see them draft Treadwell at 7 if he is still on the board. They have the cap room to make a move for someone like Jeffrey if they go another direction.

Still remember when Walsh took over in 79. Probably the least talented team in NFL history. Super Bowl champs 3 years later led by a 3rd year quarterback taken in the 3rd round.

hikeNbike

I am still not convinced that Chip Kelly's offense is a good fit for the nfl. I still think you tax the defense too much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree that they have a golden opportunity to improve quickly E. Plus keeping Kelly away from personal decisions is key to their hopes. I do not think they hired the right coach though and expect that to prove out over the next couple of years just as the Kaep vs Smith debate was settled over time. Chip's offense belongs in the college game IMO. It's a gimmick that has no staying power.

efactor

Coming at you
Agree that he needs to slow it down some since time of possession does matter and he needs to give the D a break, but I wouldn't say it's a "gimmick". He put up good numbers the first two years with less than ideal QBs (2nd and 5th overall). Pretty amazing what Foles did in the system. A lot of "experts" we're excited that the Rams finally got a quality QB. Oops. I think the system can work with the right personell and a little tweaking. Definitely needs to be smarter with clock management. Hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

We will see I guess. Glad to see SF take a chance on a talented, innovative guy. Old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes. As a fan, it's hard not to get excited after watching their futile offenses the last two years. Poor records and boring is a bad combo. Don't want to supersize that one.

Man, I am soooooo surprised SF doesn't get Ronnie Lott involved in the front office. Can anyone be more knowledgeable of the game and more respected? Hire that man as team president.

Last edited:

bodey24

Staff member
Agree that he needs to slow it down some since time of possession does matter and he needs to give the D a break, but I wouldn't say it's a "gimmick". He put up good numbers the first two years with less than ideal QBs (2nd and 5th overall). Pretty amazing what Foles did in the system. A lot of "experts" we're excited that the Rams finally got a quality QB. Oops. I think the system can work with the right personell and a little tweaking. Definitely needs to be smarter with clock management. Hopefully, he learns from his mistakes.

We will see I guess. Glad to see SF take a chance on a talented, innovative guy. Old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes. As a fan, it's hard not to get excited after watching their futile offenses the last two years. Poor records and boring is a bad combo. Don't want to supersize that one.

Man, I am soooooo surprised SF doesn't get Ronnie Lott involved in the front office. Can anyone be more knowledgeable of the game and more respected? Hire that man as team president.
How do you think Hyde fits in Kelly's offense? Hyde seems like he is more of a Murray type runner. If Bush could stay healthy I think he would be a great fit for Kelly. They won't draft a Rb but Zeke Elliot also seems like the would be a great fit.

efactor

Coming at you
I think Hyde will do fine despite being more a power back. He's quick to the hole for a big guy. Not the perfect back though. Obvious question is his ability to stay healthy. I don't think Bush comes back due to age and injury history. They have to have someone who can stay on the field.