Chiefs win breach of contract grievance against Larry Johnson.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
The Chiefs aren't obligated to pay running back Larry Johnson his guaranteed salary and bonuses over the next two seasons.
That was the ruling NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said Special Master Stephen Burbank issued Monday after the union's grievance hearing last week.

Burbank ruled that if the Chiefs cut him, they do not have to pay him a $3.5 million guaranteed salary next season because he breached his contract after being suspended last season, Berthelsen said.

MAJOR leverage for the Chefs. If they can him they would be crazy weak at RB.

linkage

Mike

Administrator
They need to cut him and make a trade with Dallas for Barber.

I'm calling Jerry now ;)

Arctic Dawgs

They need to cut him and make a trade with Dallas for Barber.

I'm calling Jerry now ;)

If it was me, miss 1 paycheck and I no longer work for you. They should not have to cut him. He should be a Free Agent now that his contract has been nullified

Mike

Administrator
How about Marion the Barbarian for Fast Willie straight up? :homer:

Sorry. Already talked to Jerry and informed him that we need to trade for draft picks or offensive line help only. A spare running back for spare running back deal just wouldn't work..... :nannie:

ExperiencedRookie

I'm a little lost on this topic. How does this give the Chiefs any leverage? Is LJ really close to being cut? The Chiefs need this guy at RB. We have no other options.

It doesn't really help in the battle to get him traded either. As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-story.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I'm a little lost on this topic. How does this give the Chiefs any leverage? Is LJ really close to being cut? The Chiefs need this guy at RB. We have no other options.

It doesn't really help in the battle to get him traded either. As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-story.

Essentially the Chefs are claiming that while LJ kept his pimp hand strong on numerous occasions he is indeed in breach of contract. That breach in contract allows the Chefs to forgo paying him his ridiculous salary including bonus money. So as I understand things they can dump him at no cap cost OR make him much more appealing in a trade. I would assume any team that trades him has the ability to restructure his contract.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Sorry. Already talked to Jerry and informed him that we need to trade for draft picks or offensive line help only. A spare running back for spare running back deal just wouldn't work..... :nannie:

Willie > Felix > Choice.

Jerry fails at math. :thrash:

DearbornDolfan

You think Tashard Choice can step into the Barbarian's shoes?

Mike

Administrator
You think Tashard Choice can step into the Barbarian's shoes?

He pretty much did last season and did the job well enough that I would be happy to let Barber go. Give me a combo of Felix Jones and Tashard Choice and I have no room for Barber on my roster.