Bucs Place Franchise Tag On WR Antonio Bryant

Coachnorm

The Bucs have used their franchise tag on Antonio Bryant making him one of the best paid Wrs in the league. Joey Galloway had been the premier WR for years with the other Bucs WRs being almost invisible. Last year Galloway took a bit of a powder production wise but Antonio Bryant stepped right through the pack to become the major producer in the Bucs WR corp.

Runnik's Hambones

I just heard this on the radio. Great move by the Bucs. Again, I would have liked to see Garcia get resigned, I think those two have developed a bit of chemistry, but hopefully it all works out.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
wow, i am really surprised by this. i think bryant's big streak was something of a flash in the pan, and this is going to be a monster contract for one year on what is clearly a rebuilding team. i dont but it.

this guy had a monster month at exactly the right time and is about to get a contract that will set him up for life because of it. over a three game span in december (while the bucs lost every game and were playing from behind), bryant had 23 catches for 435 yards and 4 TDs including a few highlight reel plays.

lets say hes hurt instead those few games, or lets say the bucs dont implode and instead play slow methodical bucball and protect leads. over the rest of the season, bryant had 60 catches, 800 yards, and 3 TDs. sounds a lot like joey galloway to me with a couple right catches at the right time.

does NOT sound like a guy worthy of being paid that kind of money. and not even close. id say he'll be back under 1000 yards like the rest of his career next season and he'll go back to being a forgotten nfl retread.

Coachnorm

I just heard this on the radio. Great move by the Bucs. Again, I would have liked to see Garcia get resigned, I think those two have developed a bit of chemistry, but hopefully it all works out.

I too still have some Garcia regrets. Bryant really stepped up this last year. But when you think of those great catches by Bryant in the Panthers game you have to also realize they were magnificent passes also.

Runnik's Hambones

Very hard to say DB. Yes, that's a definite possibility, given his previous stints on teams. At the same time, I don't see how you could blame the Bucs here. There's a strong possibility that the Bucs and Bryant couldn't come up with a deal that suited them both.

On the other hand, when was the last time the Bucs even had a dominate WR? This is something very new to Bucs nation. Seriously it is quite strange. Everyone here is jumping for joy at this move because it feels good to have a good WR on your team.

The Bucs are restructuring all around. I've said this before: I'm not looking for more than 5 wins next season because of all of this. And also, because of the restructuring, I'm afraid we wont have a QB to pass the ball well enough to Bryant.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Bryant's always had the talent to play like he did, he just needed to grow up.

Franchise tag is a good way to reward him for playing well while proving to the Bucs his head is, in fact, on straight. If so, they'll feel more comfortable about signing him long term next year. And if he has turned the corner on his career it won't be with another team.

We've seen clubs spend money in far worse ways than this.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
not sure what to think here, but man I didn't see this coming. 9.88 mil is a lot of jack for Bryant, and it doesn't do much for the rebuilding of this team. I would think the Bucs would really prefer to find a way to get a 3-5 year deal done here. Bryant has the talent, maybe he has finally put it all together.

Bayton

Weather you agree with the decision to tag Bryant or not, as a Bucs fan, I appreciate the management's actions and desire to improve the team. As opposed to the previous regime who only seemed to bring in people that no one wanted, the Bucs had become a last resort destination. With the quality of coaching staff that was put together and the tag designation, I'm on board with the decision. Even with that said, I still find it hard to see Bryant repeating as a 1000yd receiver. But it atleast gives them a weapon that the defense must respect. It allows the team to see how Bryant performs a second year before they decide on a long term deal if need be. Good decision, JUST DONT BREAK THE BANK FOR Haynsworth plz.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
does NOT sound like a guy worthy of being paid that kind of money. and not even close. id say he'll be back under 1000 yards like the rest of his career next season and he'll go back to being a forgotten nfl retread.

Is there anyone you do like?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Is there anyone you do like?

Ask him about Maurice Jones-Drew and watch that sparkle in his eye take over Bomb's melancholy face.

Bryant being tagged makes some sense. This is the first true expression of his talents as O pointed out earlier. So now the Bucs retain exclusive rights to a guy who may put out again next season and dominate down the stretch as he did last season. They can evaluate him again and now allow the new coach a chance to decide on taking him long term. With his past it would have been a mistake to sign him long term without giving the coaching staff time to make their own mind up about Bryant.

I have high hopes for him next season and depending on how the QB situation sorts out and if he signs his tender and gets his ass in camp can see him matching last year's output.

Mike

Administrator
If Bryant has matured, the money is well worth it. This is clearly one of the best receivers in the league, as long as his head is right.

He got off to a bad start in the NFL, butting heads with Parcells ( who can be a complete jackass himself with young players), but it seems like he is rebounding well from a bad stat.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
how is he suddenly one of the best receivers in the league? a string of 3 great games in a row and suddenly hes one of the best receivers in the league?

anyone remember drew bennett and the titans from a few years back? he wasnt one of the best receivers in the league either, but he unfortunately did not get a big fat paycheck like bryant.

Mike

Administrator
He is one of the best in terms of talent, but he has a head problem. Not talking career production/results here, talking about what he can be if he dedicates himself to the game.

This guy could make outstanding plays in Dallas, just couldn't get along with the coach, and couldn't put football as his #1 priority

Bayton

anyone remember drew bennett and the titans from a few years back? he wasnt one of the best receivers in the league either, but he unfortunately did not get a big fat paycheck like bryant.

Thought Bennett did pull a really nice contract for a #3 receiver when he moved to the Rams so I decided to check on it.

googled and this is what I found.

"The Rams filled a potential void if wide receiver Kevin Curtis leaves by signing Drew Bennett to a six-year, $30 million contract that includes $10 million in guarantees.

Between bonuses and base salary, Bennett will pocket $9.5 million in 2007. He will earn $13 million in the first two years of the contract and $21 million over the first four seasons of the deal." :thud:

Thats a pretty nice contract for a #3 wr and that 9.5mil looks very similar to Bryant's FT tender offer. Anyways, Bryant does have talent, not being argued. He did have an extremely productive final month of the season as Da Bomb said(500+ yds and 4 tds in 4 games). However he did have as many games with less that 50 yards as he did with 100+, 5 each. Consistency was the problem with his production. Personally, I do believe Gruden's play calling had more to do with that flip flop more than Bryant did(yes I'm biased I know).

If Bennett was worth that contract, Bryant is worth a look if ends up playing as a true #1 wr. Hopefully if the Buc's do give a long term deal its somewhat incentive heavy and won't come back to bite them should Bryant return to knuckle head form.

Propers to all here.

Antonio Bryant is the answer to a question yet to be asked in The Cash Cab - Video double bonus/double or nothing.

"What player turned out to be the long lost identical twin of Plaxico Burress?"

Franchise Tags and Free Agent Focus

a quick search through history should reveal, well, historical data relevant to how a team will draft.

Shucks