Broncos Release Orton . . . Say It Ain't So

bobbeaux

Broncos | Kyle Orton waived Tue Nov 22, 04:20 PM
The Denver Broncos waived QB Kyle Orton Tuesday, Nov. 22. Any team that claims him will be responsible for the $2.5 million remaining on his contract this year. The Houston Texans, Chicago Bears and Kansas City Chiefs are all in need of quarterbacks.

Texans | Five QBs worked out Mon Nov 21, 01:30 PM

The Houston Texans worked out free-agent QBs Jeff Garcia (Eagles), Trent Edwards (Raiders), Chase Clement (UFL), Brodie Croyle (Chiefs) and Kellen Clemens (Redskins) Monday, Nov. 21.

fbg view: The Texans will look for a free agent QB to compete with rookie T.J. Yates to be the primary backup behind Matt Leinart.

bobbeaux view: great insurance, but as long as leinert can handoff and throw screens, the texans should be ok . . . but, i bet orton could find aj easier . . . ;)

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
WOW. They got that much confidence in Tebow and no confidence in Orton. Looks to be the end of Ortons starter status. Probably find a backup gig somewhere for a few years. Bet Denver wishes they could have Cutler back.

On a side note. To me it seems he is great in practice, not so great in the games since he was in chicago for the last few years then traded to Denver. Never really became the great qb those teams thought he was.

deuce4321

Driller
Wow I cant believe that Denver had a chance to trade him and get some value for him and they didnt and now they just outright release him. This makes no sense to me. I dont know how long he has left on his current contract but if it was more then just this year then they should have held on to him and traded him. Look what the eagles and patriots got for lesser qbs.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
okay, waivers would be: Chiefs then Bears then Houston I think. I saw an article today on the email update from FbG that he wants to go back to Chicago. Would be a great fill in for Cutler. Chiefs I don't see renting for a year. Not with mondey still tied up in Cassell. Houston I think would bite as well.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Lesser than Orton? Don't think i'd say that. About the same and they are still unproven as starters. Give them some time in the starting rolls for some time and see then. Kolb was a great backup but that has to do with the supporting cast he had around him. Its only his first year as a starter. Cassel on the other hand is playing in KC. Thats half the problem there.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Houston is my guess. Once they see Leinart play they will run out quick and grab a qb to save the great season they are having. They bring him in and let him fight for backup duties next year behind Schaub.

Coachnorm

It's a tough call trying to figure out who will get Orton. The Texans have said they aren't interested but that may just be smoke at this point. Any team that actually grabs him off of Waivers has to pay him his $2.5 million salary, which isn't that bad for a backup. If all teams pass on Orton during waivers then he can probably be signed for less so there may be indifference until he hits The Free Agent market. If a team is desperate enough the may use the Waiver claim and pay more. Who? maybe the Bears. The Redskins are never afraid to spend money and that would become a 3 way QB nightmare.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Jax will probably sign him. It's what we do. Sign other team rejects and has beens and then sit back and wonder why we suck so bad. It's how we roll.

Coachnorm

Houston is my guess. Once they see Leinart play they will run out quick and grab a qb to save the great season they are having. They bring him in and let him fight for backup duties next year behind Schaub.

Could very well be. Schaub has performed well but looking over the long haul you might have to wonder how healthy he can stay. Having a better backup in place maybe good down the road.

Coachnorm

It's all an interesting drama in Denver and it's QBs. Elway yesterday when asked if the last few Tebow weeks has changed his mind about Tebow long term and he flat out said no. This has raised some flak but at least Elway just showed that Orton was crossed off that long term list completely already.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Schaub just went on IR but Houston says they aren't interested. Bears say they'll put in a claim. KC is the wildcard here and I think they make the move.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
KC would be interesting. As Cassel is not the answer there either. Plus he would be able to have to chance to beat his old team twice every year. Kinda the thinking of the old GB qb who went to Minny to stick it to GB for not playing his stupid childish games. (I refuse to mention his name. Still to soon. Afraid it might bring up rumors of his unretirement)

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
It's all an interesting drama in Denver and it's QBs. Elway yesterday when asked if the last few Tebow weeks has changed his mind about Tebow long term and he flat out said no. This has raised some flak but at least Elway just showed that Orton was crossed off that long term list completely already.

I don't see Tebow being around in Denver for the longhaul. They are setting themselves up to pick up a QB in aprils draft.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Here's a thought. Orton to Tennessee. Think about it. They have Hasselbeck who they brought out of retirement to be starter and thats not going to well. And Young who is all washed up or just one emotion bug from dropping down to the fetal position and sucking his thumb. Orton would be a good fit here. He's got the running game and WRs to help him out.

BTW latest on Hass:
Matt Hasselbeck of Tennessee Titans says he's starting vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - ESPN

Ok i don't know why i was still thinking Young was in Titan country. But i'll leave it in for ****s and giggles. See even i make mistakes. Their backups are Locker(1st yr) and some guy named Smith(2nd yr). Still think Orton would fit well here unless they go ahead and start using Locker as the permanent starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachnorm

KC would be interesting. As Cassel is not the answer there either. Plus he would be able to have to chance to beat his old team twice every year. Kinda the thinking of the old GB qb who went to Minny to stick it to GB for not playing his stupid childish games. (I refuse to mention his name. Still to soon. Afraid it might bring up rumors of his unretirement)

Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Kansas City Chiefs QB Tyler Palko is still expected to make his second straight start in Week 12 against the Pittsburgh Steelers despite the waiver claim of QB Kyle Orton Wednesday, Nov. 23

1 Crazy Commish

Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Kansas City Chiefs QB Tyler Palko is still expected to make his second straight start in Week 12 against the Pittsburgh Steelers despite the waiver claim of QB Kyle Orton Wednesday, Nov. 23
Good for the Chiefs, Orton will stay in the AFC West.