Brady- The ultimate team player?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Or plain loco? Brady and the Pats redid his contract adding a three year extension that keeps him with the Patriots until he's 40 years old. It was a sweet deal for the ball club as Brady put the team first and took a major league paycut. For the next five years Tom will collect only $12M per season making him barely in the top ten paid QB's this season and there'll be more then a dozen QB's making more $$ then him next season. Brady did this he said to help the team stay competitive over the life of his contract. This is on time that I'll tip my hat to the Patriot super star.

Escrow

Team player, not a fan of New England, and 12 Mil is still a redic amount of money....but Brady/Giselle are a power couple and this shows he has enough money and doesn't need his contract to indicate how good of a player he really is

Coachnorm

Reportedly will save $ 15 million in cap space.

Might be able to use transition tag to keep Talib. Keep Welker or get a Gennigs?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Something like this could actually cause me to like the man and that's a thing that has never happened. I'm no fan of Tom Brady. He's near the top at what he does but his antics have always caused me to dislike him. Now he goes out and does something as gunuine as this and he's got my attention. Nice move Tom. I wish more millionares would follow suit.

gizzil

makes sense... but still very surprising... im with mud in my "tough to hate the guy now"

JScott

Administrator
Before everyone (except deuce) jumps off the Brady hate-wagon, he is doubling his guaranteed money. Not exactly the huge sacrifice that it looked like originally. Win-win for Brady and the Pats.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Also, just read that this restructure effect $$ value for Flaco if tagged. He will get less money due to this. N.E. found another way to stick it to a competitor??

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I can't recall the exact figure but it was chump change really in the scope of things. Somewhere around $.7M less but still close to $20M per.

Remote Controller

This is a page from the manning play book. They both made their money and more. This lengthens their careers, and don't be fooled........he isn't loosing a penny. Just a different checking account.

Coachnorm

Very Nice recent points by everybody. Phicinfans notion.... is interesting. Brady has done this before and as RC pointed Peyton has done it many times. As JScott and Mud said he will just be switching cap money to bonus money in the long run.

It will be interesting to see if Brees works with the Saints in such a fashion.

RLLD

Team player? Perhaps.

My take: NO player in the NFl ever does anything for the team unless he himself benefits in some way. Ultimately, the move is certainly selfish, though on its face it helps the team. Brady knows that without Welker and other pieces, the gimmicky offense will not function, and he will not produce as much. Therefore, he knows that his success is dependent on the system having the specialized parts to function.

Brady is getting more money now, and more up front money too. And he gets to likely retire with the Pats, this is a good thing all around. This deal really is a win-win for all parties. Most players would rather gouge the organization than arrive at any compromise, even one that makes the team better; in that regard you have to admire what he did.

Who does not like this deal, any QB who gets franchised this year. Flacco just lost about 800k if he gets franchised.....