Atlanta Falcons RB Michael Turner on the outs??

Coachnorm

Atlanta Falcons RB Michael Turner is expected to see a decrease in touches next season because the team would like to get RB Jacquizz Rodgers more touches especially with screen passes.
Turner was one of just two backs to get more than 300 carries this season, but he's on the wrong side of 30 for a running back and has put on some significant mileage the past few seasons. Rodgers was used sparingly as a rookie but did see touches in the red zone and in the passing game. Best-case he's a Maurice Jones-Drew type, though he's more likely to fill a Darren Sproles-type role for the Falcons as they transition to more of a passing team.

I've been hearing rumbles about this for a couple of weeks so dynasty owners should stop by and keep an offseason eye on this situation this upcoming year. Like this article I am not sure how Jaquizz will play out in this developing puzzle, but I am sure some Jaquizz dynasty owners will be glad to bring us up to speed. Go get Jaquizz if it can be done cheaply but it is probably best to wait and see the results of the Falcons draft first.cn

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Rodgers playing on passing downs will have little effect on the touches gotten by Turner because he doesn't much participate on such plays anyway other than as a blocker. For a couple of years now the brains that know everything have said the same things about Turner slowing down. To be honest it did appear that he'd slowed down late this season but with a pulled groin who knows. His totals were still near the top as a pure RB. He's got a lot of milage on him the last 4 years but before that he was as shiny as a program car with a full warrenty. The prudent owner should be aware of the increasing thread wear but it isn't time to panic as a Turner owner yet. In mock drafts he's still going top 12 in non-ppr. I wouldn't be ecstatic about him if he was my number 1 but as my number two I'm in high cotton. Turner must still be considered no worse than a low end #1 because he'll still get TD's and with luck Atlanta will do something about that offensive line blocking in the off season.

Coachnorm

Rodgers playing on passing downs will have little effect on the touches gotten by Turner because he doesn't much participate on such plays anyway other than as a blocker. For a couple of years now the brains that know everything have said the same things about Turner slowing down. To be honest it did appear that he'd slowed down late this season but with a pulled groin who knows. His totals were still near the top as a pure RB. He's got a lot of milage on him the last 4 years but before that he was as shiny as a program car with a full warrenty. The prudent owner should be aware of the increasing thread wear but it isn't time to panic as a Turner owner yet. In mock drafts he's still going top 12 in non-ppr. I wouldn't be ecstatic about him if he was my number 1 but as my number two I'm in high cotton. Turner must still be considered no worse than a low end #1 because he'll still get TD's and with luck Atlanta will do something about that offensive line blocking in the off season.

Nice Read, Mud! Even though I have head the rumbles from the Fantasy talking heads I'm personally not biting hard into that apple yet. Turner has had a couple of slightly off years, But one year he was fat and nobody ever told us and this year he had some groin problems he worked through. It would not surprise me at all if he was fit and healthy that he has a bounce back year. I'm not really going get excited unless the Falcons go RB on the first day of the draft.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
3 out of the last 4 seasons he has carried the ball over 300 times, he has to be wearing down as he approaches his 30th b-day in Feb.

2008-376, 2009-178, 2010-334, 2011-301

Coachnorm

3 out of the last 4 seasons he has carried the ball over 300 times, he has to be wearing down as he approaches his 30th b-day in Feb.

2008-376, 2009-178, 2010-334, 2011-301

Hard to overlook this, it looms as a big factor.

I don't know enough about Jaquizz also. Is his role as a third down back caused more by the fact that it is the only way he can get on the field for now? Does he have primary RB capabilities?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I've got him as the handcuff to Turner Coach though he is not an everydown back or at least hasn't appeared to be yet. He's really small and truthfully, thus far he hasn't been the true handcuff to have. I certainly agree 007 that he's showing wear and tear but I think to sing his demise is uncalled for and some sites are doing exactly that. Those same sites did it last year and a few of those even called for his break down to occur the year before that. Is he past his best? For sure. Is he still a serviceable #1? Absolutely, in my book.
The dude scores TD's and that's a nice thing for your RB to do.