Are we about to watch the last NFL game of their Golden Era?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think it is hard to argue that the NFL is KING and is more popular than ever. The sport has to be at an all time high right now enjoying more success than it ever has. However, is it all about to come crashing down? Looks like an uncapped year is all but certain next year and a lock out in 2011 is a real possibility. My fear is that if they go down this road the NFL as we know will be over. It will come back and they will recover, but it will hurt their value and the product as I fear we may never see a capped system again which would crush this product IMO.

So what do you think, is this the begining of the end of the NFL as we know it?

Remote Controller

I think.......feel, both sides are smarter than this and they won't let it crash and burn. The focus on that happening can only help.

I have no confidence that the primary leader on either side of the table is capable of avoiding conflict when it comes to negotiating. I have not heard anything to indicate otherwise but since I have not followed it to closely I would be interested if others have seen signs that this could work out quickly and relatively painlessly.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I think it is hard to argue that the NFL is KING and is more popular than ever. The sport has to be at an all time high right now enjoying more success than it ever has. However, is it all about to come crashing down? Looks like an uncapped year is all but certain next year and a lock out in 2011 is a real possibility. My fear is that if they go down this road the NFL as we know will be over. It will come back and they will recover, but it will hurt their value and the product as I fear we may never see a capped system again which would crush this product IMO.

So what do you think, is this the begining of the end of the NFL as we know it?

I kind of agree.

Look at what happened to Baseball. At one time it was our national sport. Everyone looked forward to spring and the start of a new season. Then you had the multiple strikes. Then you had the rich getting richer and buying championships...and the small markets putting minor league teams on the field.

It took a "superhuman" effort of a home run derby by Sosa and McGwire to turn it around some. However, it still is not fully back where it was, and has started to decline again now that fans know why McGwire and Sosa were "superhuman".

This can only go bad for the NFL. While some scream they hate parity, it has proven to keep interest in the league as any team can rise up and win. It also still allowed those "dynasty" teams to remain. It was a very good set up. The loss of the salary cap will now let owners like Snyder and others to spend freely to try and buy a championship. It will force some teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Cleveland and quite a few others to lose its ability to compete.

A lock out or strike will really, really make things worse. Anyone else remember how bad things were in baseball with replacement players?? Are we actually going to see the movie "Replacements" and Shane Falco in reality?

Simply put no way NFL wins in this. None.

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
Feel free to send me a PM in 2011, I'll explain the rules of soccer and what teams/leagues offer the most entertainment. You can thank me later.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will say this.

In my opinion, the ONLY way this happens...is if the following takes place:

1) Players drop some in revenue demands
2) Players agree to rookie salary wage system - which most vets are okay with I hear
3) Owners kicking more into retirement and health benefits for Players - to offset item #1.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
A lock out or strike will really, really make things worse. Anyone else remember how bad things were in baseball with replacement players?? Are we actually going to see the movie "Replacements" and Shane Falco in reality?

What are you talking about? This was a reality the last time they had a strike shortened season (1982). They did have replacements. That is what the movie is based on.

Mike

Administrator
As far as I am concerned, the Golden Era of the NFL is already gone.

Popularity is huge, but for many, the reasons for watching are no longer the same. I honestly think that if it weren't for the ever increasing popularity of fantasy football, the NFL would have taken a step backward in popularity right now.

Fantasy Football has become a vital part of the league's success, to the point where today's younger fans are following the league with a primary interest in offensive stats, which has resulted in a complete overhaul of the rules, making this a much different game than it was 10-20 years ago. What we now watch is an offensive highlight show, while millions of fans track the offensive stats to see not so much how their favorite team is doing, but how their 25 fantasy teams are doing.

How do you approach watching the game these days? Are you focusing on the formations, watching all the technical stuff that goes on, or are you telling your friends how you need for Brady to hit Moss on this play because you need "X" amount of points?

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
I think this is the stupidest thing that will happen if they don't resolve this. I am sure both side agree that it would kill their sport and can use baseball and hockey as their proof.

If anything, I think that the lockout in hockey has actually helped the NHL because they now have a cap. From what some people tell me, hockey is actually flourishing and becoming a big deal in the US, some say it may actually be more important than baseball because there isn't all that steroids talk. I read that players are picking up hockey in small city that don't even have NHL teams like Oklahoma, Las Vegas and others where you wouldn't expect to find it. Hell, they even have what they call a Hockey factory in Ann Arbor, MI with a goal to ensure they can produce top notch hockey players. A few years ago, three Americans even went top three in the draft! That was awesome to hear. Growing up, I would never have thought that day would ever come or happen. I love hearing and seeing that because now it shows that other countries are stepping up and working their asses off to dethrone Canada. To be honest, even though I am Canadian...it's boring watching our team win the Juniors every year. I am glad the US won this year and I hope it snowball the momentum for the US that they have great players too!

Now, back to my point (sorry I got off track).
If both sides don't realize, they need to look ahead and say "Hey, the fans are running out of cash and we're bleeding this nation dry of income. People can only afford so much. We need to drop prices of merchandise and tickets so let's start now. If we keep giving you players these high salaries, eventually the fans just can't come out anymore and then the many games will just be blacked out anyways."

Ticket prices in hockey have come down (except here in Toronto because apparently my fellow citizens like to support losing teams). I don't go to any sporting events anymore because I can't afford it and I just watch it at home. Hell I pay for cable, why not use it? Food at home is free, why not eat it? I watch NFL Sundays at my buddies place (see photo reference http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nf...all-32460/?highlight=Worship+fantasy+football) because it's comfortable and more relaxed. Why you ask? Because it's cheaper. Everything needs to come down in price all around and this decade is the time to do it, for everything! Sony is laying off employees because DVD sales have dropped. No shit! $25 for a DVD? Stop paying actors $20 million a film and the cost should be a lot lower and everyone will buy it. I think a DVD should be about $10. Anyways...I am just ranting. If these guys don't wake up, I don't really want them to lockout because I love football and I would miss it for a year, but it may be for the best until they realize that the golden goose is old and tired. It can't keep laying eggs forever, time to bring in a new young goose to start over and let the other one retire. You can go down in salaries guys, you don't need $20 million a season, $10 & $5 millon is more than enough. if you go broke making $5 million a season, you deserve to because you spent your money foolishly.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner

Popularity is huge, but for many, the reasons for watching are no longer the same. I honestly think that if it weren't for the ever increasing popularity of fantasy football, the NFL would have taken a step backward in popularity right now.

Fantasy Football has become a vital part of the league's success, to the point where today's younger fans are following the league with a primary interest in offensive stats, which has resulted in a complete overhaul of the rules, making this a much different game than it was 10-20 years ago. What we now watch is an offensive highlight show, while millions of fans track the offensive stats to see not so much how their favorite team is doing, but how their 25 fantasy teams are doing.

How do you approach watching the game these days? Are you focusing on the formations, watching all the technical stuff that goes on, or are you telling your friends how you need for Brady to hit Moss on this play because you need "X" amount of points?

I agree with Mike 100%! I stopped playing fantasy football this past season. I sold my team (for an undisclosed amount LMAO!). I couldn't run my team and the league anymore, so I opted to just run the league. The other owners were getting just that much better and I wasn't kepping up because I was more focused on ensuring the league be successful, rather than my own team (missed playoffs 5 yrs in a row). I sold it and that guy made it in his first year with much of the same players I had. Point is, I started watching the game for what it is again and it was great! No more cheering on players on my fantasy team. I found myself analyzing the plays and how I could incorporate them in my game when I play once a week. Learning to read the defence and learning how to be a better football player. I have now found the joy in the game once again for which I began loving this sport in the first place.

Phicinfan

Administrator

I don't know if I fully agree with this or not. In fact, the heavier I got into fantasy ball, the less I watched "my" team. Actually, now with my kids running rough shod over my life, I watch almost none. But when i can, I always catch my Eagles.

I do agree that Fantasy Sports in football has increase watching. I also think it has increase the popularity for news sites on the off season things as well. Everyone now thinks they are the next great GM. ;)

I also think the rule changes hurt...in that yes it increases scoring...but takes away the great defensive battles. Still, there are some great defenses out there.

GFL -> Right after I typed that, I remembered that year. Forgot all about it....and you are right. It would be awful for a repeat of history there.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
All I know is bottomline, if they want replacements, and Oakland wants another large guy with no NFL skills at QB, I can be bought for a song.

Remote Controller

The more press this gets the better. Goodell wants owners to stifle. The louder this thing gets now the better, as then both sides will better understand the whats at stake. The rookie pay scale is a given and something both sides can agree on. It's time to send a message to these players that they better get control of their agent, and it's time to let the Owners know that it is time to take care of their players with retirement and such. Can we also move now to get rid of 2 preseason games. Thats where the NFL nad it's owners need to give a little.

We need to keep this story on the front page, and not let the NFL (Goodell) manage it behind closed doors.

GFL Commissioner - I have been disheartened by Goodell's performance and have not heard anything from D. Smith on the other side to think he is any better. I wasn't a close follower of baseball but definitely was one of those who did not go back after one of their strikes. I could see the NHL being my replacement for the NFL if they do not resolve their differences in a timely manner without the endless public posturing that often goes with these side shows.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The more press this gets the better. Goodell wants owners to stifle. The louder this thing gets now the better, as then both sides will better understand the whats at stake. The rookie pay scale is a given and something both sides can agree on. It's time to send a message to these players that they better get control of their agent, and it's time to let the Owners know that it is time to take care of their players with retirement and such. Can we also move now to get rid of 2 preseason games. Thats where the NFL nad it's owners need to give a little.

We need to keep this story on the front page, and not let the NFL (Goodell) manage it behind closed doors.
The rookie wage scale isn't exactly harmonious. The players will only agree to this if the money get redistributed to the players and not a cost cutting measure to the owners. They want the overall % of revenue going to the players to increase still. The owners see this as a cost cutting measure and a way to control the rapid rise of players salaries. Both are for it for their own reasons, but getting a compromise that will meet both groups reasons may be a sticking point.

JackG1980

I only partly agree with you. Yes I could honestly say I have gain more interest in football since joining a FF league. I learn more about formation and all the technical stuff. Since FF I became even more interested in the defense then I use to be. Troy Polamalu is my favorite play now.

I would never trade a hometeam lose with a FF win. Its only natural to want to win. I track both my team and my FF team. Although many might disagree with me I believe football is now more exciting then it use to be. Even though I do not agree with some of the rule changing. One can't expect a perfect league. At the same time I love watching old football games.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
So this is why a coach in our league blew up his team to obtain 6 of the 10 first round picks in this years dynasty rookie draft heh....

I honestly think an uncapped league would be devastating to the NFL. I sure hope something gets done, I'd truly hate to see a holdout/strike and the smaller teams get pushed out. This is scary!

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
GFL Commissioner - I have been disheartened by Goodell's performance and have not heard anything from D. Smith on the other side to think he is any better. I wasn't a close follower of baseball but definitely was one of those who did not go back after one of their strikes. I could see the NHL being my replacement for the NFL if they do not resolve their differences in a timely manner without the endless public posturing that often goes with these side shows.

I too have not gone back to baseball and doubt I ever will. They need a cap. The last stirke was it for me and also, when the Montreal Expos moved. For a long time, that club had talent year after year, despite losing players. Had there been a cap, they could have kept players, their fans would not have been pissed and abandoned them and they would have a couple of Wolrd Series titles.

As for the NHL. I supported the lcokout because I was a true believer of them needing a cap. The players resisted and fold to it realizing that's the way to go and save the small market teams. It's working and I love hockey again.