49ers Looking For A Change of Pace RB

Coachnorm

"Frank [Gore] is a special running back," said coach Mike Singeltary. "But I think it would help to have someone come in and share that load, maybe someone who has a different style - someone who adds another dimension to our running game."

Most sources speculate a Day Two pick. As Running Back By Committes have grown so has the want for a change of pace back. Back in the old days you wanted a RB that you plug in for a series here and there to give your best back a break. This back was just like your starter but not quite as good. Now teams are looking for backups that bring a different dimension to the game. You may have him handle a series of downs here and there but are more likely to use him on third downs a lot. He is more likely to be fast with good hands. The O is now set up with special plays designed to take advantage of this different talent set of the change of pace backup. There are good reasons for these changes, it works.

So the Niners are looking for a change of pace back that is a weapon to be used right now. Who are some of your favorite Change of Pace RBs available in this draft? A Second Day RB who can be a weapon even if he is not The Man? You are the Niners GM who are you looking at?

Runnik's Hambones

Let's see. My favorite late round back has to be Chris Ogbonnaya, from Texas. He doesn't have a threatening 40-time (4.60), but he has great hands, runs exceptional routs (actually started out as a WR in college), is a good blocker and is very patient when he runs the ball; great vision. He's done well as the back up/go-to RB last year (74 carries, 373 yards, 5.0 avg, 4 TDs; 46 rec, 540 yards, 3TDs).

Another back, who I would rank right below Ogbonnaya, is Boise State's Ian Johnson. You'd be hard pressed to find a more hard working back in the draft. Ian isn't the best athlete, but he has decent hands. I feel like his production at Boise St was a bit more due to the system they ran, so I wouldn't expect him to put up 1,000+ yards off of 200 carries. However it's hard to deny the fact that over his 3 year start, Ian has a 5.7 yard average.