#3 LSU @ #25 Mississippi State on Thursday Night Football

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Hell of a game tonight in Starkville!

Mississippi State looks to avoid an 0-2 hole in conference as LSU comes in looking to establish early dominance in the SEC. MSU cancelled classes today to make sure students had plenty of time to drink before the war.

Sarge thinks LSU sodomized Oregon for a reason, and will ride what may be the best overall collection of talent in the country to a 34-21 victory.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I've had to hear about this matchup ad nauseum on the Arkansas/SEC shill radio network this week.

I am a huge fan of Vick Ballard of MSU and think he's a younger, more talented version of, and a much better receiver than Anthony Dixon, who also starred at MSU.

With that said, I just can't grow enough balls to call an upset here. The ONLY reason for that is that I still have visions of the LSU domination of Oregon in their opener. However, this is an SEC tilt in MSU's house, so I would absolutely take MSU and the points if I was a gambling man. I'm not a huge proponent of LSU's offense just yet, so I'll go 24-20, LSU on a late TD to win it.

Dan Mullen is the real deal as a relatively new head coach and definitely has that program heading in the right direction. Not just yet though since LSU's won 11 straight in this matchup.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
LSU is as talented a team as you will find in the nation. The Dogs still dont have the depth, but in another two seasons they might not lose a game.

The ONLY way MSU wins this is with at least four LSU turnovers.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
16-6 LSU with about 11 min to go. MSU has played a MONSTER game but the talent differential is showing itself.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Offensive questions for the Tiggers though, against a team that gave up over double LSU's points against Auburn last week..

Just like the NFL, the days of winning BCS championships by running the ball and stopping the run are pretty much over. You need to rack up points when needed nowadays and I'm not seeing that from LSU. At least not yet. Bama, for one, would've stomped them tonight. 19 points against a mediocre defense, even on the road, ain't gonna cut it over the long haul. Mike Dyer from Auburn ran for almost as many yards against MSU by himself as LSU did as a team.

This 2011 version of LSU is damn good, but not quite #1-in-the-country good. They have roadies against some seriously good offenses, starting next week @ West Virginia. Also Alabama and Tennessee. The run defense is obviously there, but WVU and Tenn will be airing it out, as well as Arkansas at home. I'm calling 2 narrow losses and a Cotton Bowl date with A&M, who they'll probably blow out of the building out of spite, and to fire a preliminary shot against since they'll be an annual opponent starting next year. :nod:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
LSU played this game the same way they've played for several years. Close to the vest, defense-defense-defense, and win it in the second half or fourth quarter if they're really trying to give me a heart attack. It certainly wasn't the fault of the offense that we didn't ring up 35 points or more. Our passing game was on the money every time we needed it. If the coaches had of wanted to throw at will it appears we could have. It can be hard to watch as a fan but Les doesn't come out throwing the ball unless we're forced to, as a general rule. It was by far the best game of Lee's life in purple & gold. As a fan I worry each and every year if we'll be able to turn up the offense when we face the Bama's and Florida's of world. Lately we've been able to do just that. See last year for examples. Who's ranked where at this point of the season means little really, it's who's hanging the W's on the board that counts. I'll take the defensive win and smile until Sunday.

Now Geaux Saints!

Last edited by a moderator:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
FTR I agree that Mississippi State is a much improved team, only a fool wouldn't agree, but please note that the only SEC team in the west that they've beaten under this coach is Ole Miss twice according to what espn reported last night. I haven't confirmed that myself. They still have a tall hill to climb in the nations best football league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Good win for LSU. Was expecting more from MSU tho. Seems like there offence is going backwards over the past few weeks. I still think they are a better team than there record shows. Taking nothing away from LSU , just think MSU could have put up more points than 6.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
If these teams stay undefeated my game of the year is LSU vs Alabama in November. That game could be a 6-3 final and they better have plenty of ambulances on standby.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The south should get the Friday before the game off from work if it works out that way. Then both states should take the following Monday off as well to recover.