2011 NFL Draft Round 3-7 Discussion Thread

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Talk about it here.

Im guessing Tomlin must have liked Curtis Brown when he came to the Texas pro day. Nice grab.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I gotta look into these rounds and the 2nd also. A little confession, i didn't watch any of these rounds. Jax didn't have a 2nd rounder and just got busy and honestly forgot about it.

Remote Controller

Alex Green was a great Round Three pick for the Packers. Nice write up here from CBS Sportsline-

Latest News
04/11/2011 - One of the more interesting things about the final few weeks before the draft is watching players move up (or down) draft boards. Often this is the result of surprising workout results or off-field concerns. Every now and then players start to move up the board simply because teams are dedicating more time to watching the film. Hawaii running back Alex Green could be the latest prospect to get this late, preferential treatment. Much of Hawaii's offensive success in recent years has, of course, been through the passing game. The 6-0, 225 pound Green, however, gave the Warriors' their first 1,000 yard rusher since 1992 and surprised scouts with his natural running skills at the East-West Shrine Game and speed (4.45) at the Combine. Teams are starting to look at Green as a legitimate middle round possibility, ahead of some very big names at the running back position. The St. Louis Rams have recently been tied to Green as they are looking for a big back to get meaningful snaps behind star Steven Jackson. I've been able to confirm that the Rams are bringing in Green for a visit, but St. Louis is far from the only stop on his schedule. In fact, the Eagles, Titans, Lions and Falcons have all either already flown Green in or will be doing so over the next few days. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
<LI sizcache="1035" sizset="384">Full Alex Green News Wire

Overview
Green's surprising burst, quickness and solid hands out of the backfield have drawn some late attention from NFL scouts, but he lacks the vision and instincts to be an every-down back at the next level.
This is not to say that he doesn't have a place on an NFL roster. After all, how many NFL teams use a true every-down back? Green's size and straight-ahead running style could make him a nice short-yardage or even fullback option, and his natural pass-catching ability provides the versatility that teams seemingly can't get enough of in today's pass-heavy NFL. Teams looking to add a running back should give Green strong consideration between rounds four and six.
AnalysisPositives: Big, tough, physical cut-and-go back with a knack for lowering his shoulder and creating contact. Decisive, hard runner who knows where he's going as soon as he gets the ball. Reaches top speed quickly with a quick first step and strong initial burst toward the hole. Keeps his weight forward and feet churning, rarely falling back or losing yardage. Quick feet for a back of his size. Willingly engages defenders along the sideline to earn the extra yard rather than stepping out of bounds. Soft, reliable hands as a pass-catcher. Displays good balance and body control, extending his arms to catch balls thrown outside of his upper torso. Nice concentration to secure passes in the flat before looking upfield. Isn't afraid to take on defensive linemen in pass protection and maintains route accuracy through contact from linebackers when running routes in the flat. Negatives: One-dimensional, straight-ahead runner who lacks vision and recognition to cutback and extend runs. Too willing to initiate contact in one-on-one situations, often lowering his shoulder when he has the space to elude tackler laterally. Leans too far forward at times and will lower his head prematurely, rendering him off balance. Short, quick steps and low knees leave him vulnerable to arm tackles below the waist, and easier to bring down than his size would indicate he should be. A one-speed back, lacking a top gear to pull away from second-level defenders. Lacks patience to allow holes to develop, often outrunning his blockers.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I dunno, man. those negatives sound like something attached to a 6th-7th rounder.

On the other hand Ted Thompson has a good enough track record with picks that Pack fans have good reason to trust the pick. Could be a gem.

bobbeaux

at 4.8 the texans select another cb? . . . nt? . . . lb? . . . wr . . . lots of talent remaining in all 4 positions . . . expecting nt, but i keep hearing wade phillips' nt doesn't need to be a big body, so maybe not . . . could see cb davon house or lb sam acho easily in their plans . . . wr wouldn't surprise me a bit here either . . . lots of value in og remaining too . . . very happy with the way this draft has gone so far.

Remote Controller

I dunno, man. those negatives sound like something attached to a 6th-7th rounder.

On the other hand Ted Thompson has a good enough track record with picks that Pack fans have good reason to trust the pick. Could be a gem.

Strength and weakness section predated the latest news portion. Green was a fast riser with his late season, post season and predraft work. Iwas very aprehnsive ov the weakness section myself. I probably should have posted some of the later stuff I've been reading on him but have basically been using CBS out of convenience. Everything on him since late March and Early April has been night and day on him from before. He sold himself well.

bobbeaux

woah, i missed something . . . thought the texans were at 4.8 . . . did they trade down or something? . . . wasn't sure when this was restarting and just got back on.

Remote Controller

I htought that the Rams would go Hunter or jacquizz Green instead of WR??? Salas was a good pick but they have lots of wide outs. I figured change of pace for SJax to help extend his career for another year.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I htought that the Rams would go Hunter or jacquizz Green instead of WR??? Salas was a good pick but they have lots of wide outs. I figured change of pace for SJax to help extend his career for another year.

Good pick by the Rams, give Bradford another weapon.

bobbeaux

the trade isn't showing in the 4th, but it looks like they now have a pick in the 5th from washington . . . regain a pick in the 5th that they lost from the trade to move up in the 2nd . . . i don't think it'll be wr,cb or lb in the 4th now . . . nt becomes more likely . . . or og.

draft is moving to fast for web updaters . . . lol

bobbeaux

browns pick who? . . . was expecting OL here

ah . . .

Owen Marecic News Wire
Overview
Enters the season atop the depth chart at both fullback and middle linebacker … saw the majority of his reps during the spring at linebacker … earned time at middle linebacker last season in goal line and short-yardage situations … three-time Pac-10 honorable mention selection as a fullback … has made huge contributions to Stanford's running game over the last three seasons as one of the best blocking fullbacks in the nation … tough, hard-nosed competitor has gained ultimate respect from his teammates and coaches due to his unmatched work ethic and attitude … quietly goes about his business without fanfare.

Remote Controller

Browns take a FB. Holmgren is building around Colt. TE's and FB's, sound like Holmgren. This is good news for Hillis as he won't have to stay on the field aND BLOCK FOR HARDESTY. he can get a blow now and then.