2009 Forum Wide Mock NFL Draft Pick #8 - Jacksonville

Pick #8 - Jacksonville Jaguars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dukdown

Banned
Actually, no idea what you're saying. When they had Henderson and Stroud, they had Reggie Hayward, Paul Spicer and Bobby McCray coming off the edges making plays. More importantly, they were one of the top teams against the run. Everything struggled last year without Stroud. Last year Harvey ended the season on a high-note with 2 sacks against Baltimore, and I have to imagine they are expecting him to take another step this year. With Henderson now 30, taking Raji not only gives them an athletic upgrade this year, but puts the torch in motion to be passed to a new generation.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
fine, but apparently jacksonville's executive decision makers apparently disagree with you. they were without stroud last offseason (after trading him away on purpose) and then spent most of the draft trying to find pass rushers. all of the reports out of jacksonville for years are that the team has been a top notch defense but has always lacked that star pass rusher for quite some time now. you can disagree with me if you want, but you cant deny the moves the team has made.

bobbeaux

big hole since stroud left . . . gotta go with raji, although ot oher would be a great pick as well . . . ;)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
fine, but apparently jacksonville's executive decision makers apparently disagree with you. they were without stroud last offseason (after trading him away on purpose) and then spent most of the draft trying to find pass rushers. all of the reports out of jacksonville for years are that the team has been a top notch defense but has always lacked that star pass rusher for quite some time now. you can disagree with me if you want, but you cant deny the moves the team has made.
So one plus one minus one = 4?

Yes, last year they looked for outside rush people and they thought they got them last year. Stroud was declining, and expensive so they traded him to get cap help. The two don't necessarily decide the other. The Jags defense was not as good last year, and getting a Raji in the middle to tie up blockers and stuff the run will make the ends better.

DE is a position that usually takes a year or two for guys to get adjusted to the NFL size and strength. Look at Mario Williams his rookie year. You're pretty quick to write off the Jags. Another thing to remember about Harvey is that he was a training camp holdout also so the learning curve is a little longer with him as well.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I think Raji can have a trickle down effect on their DE corps, and they're not very far removed from having the most dominant interior line in the league. They need line help, but it will be available for them in subsequent rounds with far less risk involved.