2009 Forum Wide Mock NFL draft Pick #4 - Seattle

Pick #4 - Seattle Seahawks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay folks, you know the drill. Lets see who we as a consensus vote of the Sportsoutlaw experts think teams should take. The rules are simple, please choose one of the players listed and vote. Or, if you prefer, choose other, and then post who you would have taken. After 24hrs, the votes will be tallied and the winner will be awarded to that team. We will be going off the draft order now set...so if there are trades...we will see what happens.

Seattle is on the clock!

Draft Order:
  1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford Qb Georgia
  2. St Louis Rams - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
  3. Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
  4. Seattle Seahawks
  5. Cleveland Browns
  6. Cincinnati Bengals
  7. Oakland Raiders
  8. Jacksonville Jaguars
  9. Green Bay Packers
  10. San Francisco 49ers
  11. Buffalo Bills
  12. Denver Broncos
  13. Washington Redskins
  14. New Orleans Saints
  15. Houston Texans
  16. San Diego Chargers
  17. New York Jets
  18. Chicago Bears
  19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas)
  21. Philadelphia Eagles
  22. Minnesota Vikings
  23. New England Patriots
  24. Atlanta Falcons
  25. Miami Dolphins
  26. Baltimore Ravens
  27. Indianapolis Colts
  28. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina)
  29. New York Giants
  30. Tennessee Titans
  31. Arizona Cardinals
  32. Pittsburgh Steelers

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbeaux

this pick is actually tougher than it seems . . . they have holes on both offensive and defensive lines due to age and free agency . . . and their wr's are a lot about quantity, but not quality . . . they could even go qb here . . . with walter jones aging, i think they really need to rebuild here and protect whoever is at qb . . . my pick is ot jason smith . . . ;)

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i dont see what is so awful about this team's receivers other than that they had an unusually high number of injuries this year. deion branch is still a very good receiver. nate burleson and bobby engram are worthy of playing time, and john carlson is a nice young tight end.

sure the team could use BETTER receivers, but it is hardly a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed immediately. in fact, id go so far as to say its probably one of the last areas on the team that needs to be addressed at this point.

Runnik's Hambones

You already stated why I'd go WR. That team simply cannot allow that position to hinder them again. They would have been contenders in the NFC west, if it weren't for their Wr issues. Go crabtree.

You already stated why I'd go WR. That team simply cannot allow that position to hinder them again. They would have been contenders in the NFC west, if it weren't for their Wr issues. Go crabtree.

What Bomb was saying is that the issues were not that the WR's were bad, but that they were ALL injured. Very flukey. I voted Crabtree here, but do agree with Bomb that WR is not the glaring hole on this team and would completeley understand if they went in another direction.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell

No offense, but you clearly did not follow this team at all if you really believe this to be true.

Runnik's Hambones

Here's the thing, where I understand that Seattle had major holes in their team last year, the most obvious one to me, was the fact that they had no one to throw too. I'm not saying that there was any other particular reason besides the fact that they were injured that this team didn't have anyone but Jon Carlson down the field. I'm just saying that with more depth at the WR position, I honestly think that they could have contended.

4 of their losses last year were by under 10 points. I honestly feel that with another threat they could have won those games. 4 more wins is an 8 win season, that's 1 less than the Cardinals, and had Seattle won those 4 games, Arizona and Seattle would have the same record. That's why I think they would have been able to contend in the NFC West with WR threat.

GRS0002

I chose Crabtree.

Yes, there are issues at WR and OL. I think Crabtree is going to be a good WR and I consider the WR to be more of an impact overall. You can make an arguement either way. Although, if the WR's arn't good enough to get open... no matter how good the line is, the QB is going to get hit. The O coordinator can make a quick throw based Offense with a good WR to help off set a bad line. A good line can give a QB more time, but can't compensate for no WR's getting open or no WR's being healthy enough to take the field. The more impact WR's you have, the harder it is for the D to cover the WR's and create pressure to expoit your line.

Had to go Smith with this pick. I agree that this team has needs beyond that of a WR.
A damn good WR, but if they think Smith can be a fixture on that OL for the next decade then draft him.

bodey24

Staff member
I went with Jason Smith. Crabtree is a really good WR. But I agree with Bomb that Seattles Wr's arent that bad. Burleson was having a great game in week 1 when he got injured. Branch is also good when healthy. Rebuild the line so you can establish a run game and give Hasselback time to get the ball to his Wr's.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Decided to go off the beaten path a bit with the player known as "Other", with Malcolm Jenkins in mind.

I realize Crabtree's the universal choice in most online mocks, but a team that was dead last in Passing Yards Against with the 4th fewest INT's in the NFL would be better served taking the top CB available, in my opinion.

As much as I like Crabtree, he seems like more of a luxury pick for a team that needs a defense to climb past Arizona's WR corps to return to the playoffs.

Coachnorm

I went with OT Smith myself. As with all the teams picking so far there is really no wrong answer as they all have dire needs in many positions. The argument that it would be a impact pick for many years swayed me to the OT pick. Seattle let some OLine talent leave rather than give them that next big contract. I don't think that mistake will be repeated, I hope. But there is not wrong pick here as the D is totally exposed also. No matter which way they choose to go this pick is going to have a major positive impact n the team.

It's the other first day picks coupled with a FA move or two. That will determine if the Seahawks are really going to turn it around this year or merely plug a couple of many holes on both side of the ball.

Phicinfan

Administrator
i dont see what is so awful about this team's receivers other than that they had an unusually high number of injuries this year. deion branch is still a very good receiver. nate burleson and bobby engram are worthy of playing time, and john carlson is a nice young tight end.

sure the team could use BETTER receivers, but it is hardly a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed immediately. in fact, id go so far as to say its probably one of the last areas on the team that needs to be addressed at this point.
Branch is a constant injury. Engram I believe is a FA this year, with no guarantee of being re-signed. Burleson is an enigma, for every great game, he has one where he seems to disappear.

They do need Wr depth. However, they have more pressing issues to deal with. The OL needs rebuilt, by taking Smith they can replace the RT, and eventually Jones with Smith. I am going Smith here.

Phicinfan

Administrator
This one is close, so lets keep it going a little while longer