Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
phic, you should maybe make votes public next time on these? just a thought.
I have tried that in the past, but I am not sure that function works. It never seems to show me anything anyways. But I will set it up on the following picks that way.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
yeah i dont know a lot about smith, but i cant help but smell a mandarich, at least a little bit.

im not sure i agree with backus though. he is like a 7 or 8 year veteran at this point, so its not like they can really consider him a 1st round invesetment at this point.

Fire

in the hole
mills knows what he is talking about.

The last thing Detroit and its new regime needs is to take a huge chance on a bust with the first overall pick, and that is Stafford. While QB is one of many, many, huge needs on this team, do you really think that they will take someone and pay him 1st overall money to sit on the bench (or worse yet, throw him straight to the wolves and demoralize him for life?).

Schwartz has said that he wants to be able to run the ball on offense, and stop the run on defense. Good plan for a guy with one of the biggest rebuilding projects ever.

They will take Monroe (or J.Smith, which ever they better), Curry, or Raji with the top pick.

Curry would be the safest pick, but it would also make him the highest paid LB in the NFL. Not to sure they want to do that, but I think he will be a stud at any of the LB positions, even middle.

If Stafford is the pick, then you can bet the farm that it was the owners choice, and then I will be forced to change my screen name to something much more violent having to do with Mr. Ford.

I don't see Stafford being a long term QB... I'm just not overly impressed with any QB's this draft. I think there will be a lot of expectations on any QB drafted first round this year to be a Matt Ryan... no one form this class will be that. Detroit has major problems in most areas, but I think they need to look at defense. Most of their games I have watched, they are playing from behind almost every game and a stud like Aaron Curry can help out here. Follow that up with a few FA pick ups and Detroit could be on the right foot. Then use their 2nd first round pick on a OL. Wait around until next year and pick up a franchise QB from a better selection.

Fire

in the hole
He's only been a Tackle since his Sophomore year. If I'm a NFL Personnel guy, I'm gonna want to take a guy like Eugene Monroe, who was rated the #1 offensive tackle coming out of high school, and then was coached by Al Groh. Because he was at LT, Brandon Albert was moved inside to LG. Albert started at LT for Kansas City last year.

dukdown has the right idea here also.

Fire

in the hole
I found the "Thanks" button, but to be equally fair, there should also be a "but No Thanks" button also. Especially with the results of this poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Everyone has DET taking Staffort at #1....
(or another QB with their other 1st rd pick)
What ever happened to Drew Stanton?
I find it hard to fathom that this team took Stanton with a 2.11 pick and are ready to relegate him to the scrap heap already.
How did Stanton fall off the map?
:hmmm:

Bayton

Matt Milan drafted Him. New regime, new coach - This happens all the time. New coach wants different things and their style of QB. The denver situation is just an exaggerated example of that fact. Chalk Stanton up as another wasted Milan draft pick.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Matt Milan drafted Him. New regime, new coach - This happens all the time. New coach wants different things and their style of QB. The denver situation is just an exaggerated example of that fact. Chalk Stanton up as another wasted Milan draft pick.
Amazing that these draft picks are so coveted by these teams, then they discard the players taken with them like it doesn't matter.

If the Patriots do this with the guy they draft with the 2nd round pick they gained in the Matt Cassel trade this year, they will have traded Cassel for nothing.
I couldn't imagine such a scenario. Must suck to live in Michigan.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
The recurring problem with Detroit, and with many other examples, for that matter, is that they have never bothered building an environment where a young QB can develop. One of Millen's fatal flaws was trying to build from the outside-in (i.e. way too many 1st round WR's) instead of vice versa. Then you throw a talented guy with a good head on his shoulders (Joey Harrington) into an offense where he's running for his life on every down and has no running game to help the cause. Not only that, but when you play from behind 90% of the time due to a crap defense, it's very easy for an opposing defensive coordinator to call plays.
It's almost like the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child", you better have some sort of functional village in place or else the child utimately suffers.
That's why either Curry, Smith, or even Monroe should be the pick here, not Stafford. As much as I love Curry, I'm inclined to lean towards the franchise LT, then grab one of the other top LB's at #20.
Wait until the middle rounds to take a shot at a developmental guy, or wait until you have a more stable environment and take a shot at one of the top-3 QB's next year in the first round.

DearbornDolfan

What people don't understand about the whole Atlanta situation is that Atlanta had a talented, if unheralded, offensive line. That's not the case at all for Detroit, where they have a left guard starting as their left tackle.

dukdown

Banned
In a division where the quality of the QB's has just improved quite a bit with the addition of Cutler, I really think the Lions are going to have a hard time selling their fan base, in a depressed economy, that Daunte Culpepper is the hope of the franchise. Atlanta showed the way last year, in a complete copy-cat league, to take the QB first, and the LT 2nd. Detroit will follow suit this year.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
That's a really excellent observation that I hadn't thought of, duk.
The only major difference is that after the Vick fiasco, Atlanta had absolutely nobody in place, even as a stopgap QB plan, as Detroit does. Obviously Daunte isn't in Detroit's long term plans but at least he gives them something serviceable enough to allow them to make more practical selections with the 2 first rounders.
Also, Atlanta had to deal their 2nd rounder last year in order to slide back in to take Sam Baker, if memory serves correct. Detroit already has the picks in place.
As for who has the better predraft outlook, Ryan vs. Stafford, I just don't know. Your point is very thought-provoking.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
If this draft falls as expected...which we know it won't ;), I agree with Duk. I think they go stafford first, and then turn around and either nab a top Oline with other pick or maybe a stud LB like Mauluaga to rebuild the defense.