Qb race for 2018

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So lets take a look at the Qb position again, and while we are at it, lets look at who has a shot to get one of the top Qbs in this draft, which is very Qb heavy.

AFC East:
New England - 4-2 - have Brady and Garapolo so should not be looking Qb.
Buffalo - 3-2 - Tyrod Taylor has been pretty steady, but team doesn't seem to want to keep him. Rookie Peterson is the back up. - here is one Qb potential target. Plus they have a ton of picks so can afford to draft QB early and still get needs met.
Miami Dolphins - 3-2 - Starter was to be Tannehill(end of contract soon?), Got Cutler...and have Moore still as back up. - This will be interesting to watch. Currently they are competitive, but reality is they probably could really use one of these kids coming in.
NY Jets - 3-3 - Yup, they are led by Josh McCown, and the two youngsters below him aren't worth didley. But they are winning, and that could hurt their chances.

AFC North:
Pittsburgh - 4-2 - Big Ben is rumbling about retirement, and he is really worn out. They did draft Dobbs last year, not sure he is the future. Could be an option, but doubt they can sniff the pick needed to snag a top Qb in 2018.
Baltimore - 3-3 - Still have old steady in Flacco - but no depth. - Is it time to look to new?
Cincinnati - 2-4 - Have Dalton as starter and McCarron as back up. Doubt they are looking to go high for Qb.
Cleveland - 0-6 - Is Kizer the answer - doesn't look like it. Yeah, they could finally get the franchise Qb they need, and they have the picks to get more help as well.

AFC South:
Tennessee Titans - 3-3 - Mariota is the real deal, and they keep adding parts to help him.
Jacksonville - 3-2 - Bortles is a goner, I truly believe that - yeah they need Qb - but they are winning so will they get one of the top ones?
Houston - 3-3 - Watson is the man, so no they are solid here.
Indianapolis - 2-4 - This one is one to watch. Luck is the franchise, but just got put on ice for his rehab. Yes, they dealt for Brissett, but he seems like a really great Back up, not a franchise Qb. If they keep losing, and Luck's shoulder falls apart, this could be one spot for Qb.

AFC West:
Kansas City - 5-2 - Have A.Smith as starter, and have Mahomes on the wings - they are good.
Denver - 3-2 - Wow.... They have Siemian starting, have Lynch as the drafted future that is hazy...oh and Osweiller - lets see how this season goes, but Lynch may be bust, and force them to look to draft Qb.
Oakland/Las Vegas - 3-4 - Carr is the man in Oakland they are solid.
Los Angeles Chargers - 2-4 - Rivers is the man, but he is getting old in the tooth. If they keep losing, I can see them drafting for the future and taking Rivers eventual replacement.

NFC East:
Philadelphia - 5-1 - Wentz was a great trade up value - they are set for a while.
Washington - 3-2 - Cousins is a great Qb, but they won't tag him again. Can they sign him? If not they HAVE to get a Qb in draft.
Dallas - 2-3 - Dak is Dak and he is solid. No need here.
NY Giants - 1-5 - Okay to me this is one to question. If they keep losing, and I think they will, I think you cut bait on Manning, save cap, and draft for the future as you will be in full blow rebuild mode. Manning could be a great trading piece for many teams to get - in fact Buffalo or Jacksonville would probably love this.

NFC North:
Minnesota - 4-2 - Have Bradford(last year of deal), Keenum(back up extrodinaire), Bridgewater(last year of deal). - They will keep winning, so probably won't sniff the pick height needed to snag a top Qb. My gut says they either resign Bridgewater, or they look to get a vet Qb, like Manning if available.
Green Bay - 4-2 - Rodgers is there(hurt) and so is Hundley - doubt they look at Qb
Detroit - 3-3 - Just signed Stafford to an extension so no looky here.
Chicago - 2-4 - Just drafted Trubisky and he is starting now.

NFC South:
Carolina - 4-2 - Got Cam they are fine
New Orleans - 3-2 - Brees on last year of contract I believe - if they win they have to resign, if they start losing again...maybe move to future?
Atlanta - 3-2 - Matty Ice makes this no issue
Tampa Bay - 2-3 - Winston is looking pretty good.

NFC West:
Los Angeles Rams - 4-2 - Goff seems to finally be growing into the role.
Seattle - 3-2 - Wilson is set
Arizona - 3-3 - Can't live with Carson forever - they need to look to the future.
San Francisco - 0-6 - Beathard is getting his shot , but my guess is they will go hard and heavy for Cousins, or draft the future here. Use Beathard as the bridge.

So looking at current records:
Cleveland - 0-6
San Francisco - 0-6
NY Giants - 1-5
LA Chargers - 2-4
Indianapolis - 2-4

What will be interesting is if Cincy and Chicago continue to lose, and possibly fall into one of the top draft slots, and get some trade value.

Key to this to me is: Cousins - does he resign with Washington?
Manning - does NY Giants move on?
Palmer and Rivers and Roethlisberger - are they back next year?

Top Qbs in draft:
Darnold - USC - underclassman - does he come out?
Allen - Wyoming - underclassman - does he come out?
Rosen - UCLA - underclassman - does he come out?
Rudolph - Oklahoma St. - senior

efactor

Coming at you
I would bet the farm that Rosen comes out. No reason for him to stay. Darnold on the other hand may have hurt his draft stock so much that staying for another year is viable.

But, things change quickly.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So, wonder what the following teams do:
Giants if they keep losing, they could be #3 draft pick(assuming Cle and SF keep losing as well):
1) draft young Qb and keep Manning to fill in til ready?
2) draft young Qb and trade Manning for more picks to help rest of roster?
3) trade down with the pick to get help - keeping Manning?

Indianapolis - With the news that Luck has had issues and is shut down again, for the time being - does this also fit for Indy?
1) draft young Qb and keep Luck til his contract expires in 2018?
2) draft rb and keep Luck
3) try to trade Luck to draft Qb
4) trade pick down to get more help

Fun, fun, Fun!

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay lets expand this a bit more......
What we expect out of draft:
By all reports, I am betting on Allen, Rosen and Rudolph coming out. Darnold has stated he will play - but I believe he has been red-shirted twice...so he is a 3rd year sophmore. Not sure him staying in school really helps him or not. The other caveat is the kid from Louisville. Lamar Jackson looks to be a Cam clone to me, but with a bit better throwing capability(which he has worked hard on by all reports).

Other keys:
Brees is a FA after this year - and no way team Tags him(actually I think they can't per his last contract)
Cousins is an FA - and has already been tagged twice, the price to tag again would be rediculous
Garapolo as AD pointed out is an FA at end of season
Bradford and Bridgewater are also FA's at end of season

I will add the following:
Key teams that will shake things a bit:
I see no way Jacksonville keeps Bortles as the starter and they can get out of the contract fairly easily.
As pointed out before, Giants and Indy look to have top picks - do they save cap and get rid of vet Qbs? I am really wondering about Luck, and is this a repeat of the P. Manning saga in Indy. They can't cut him, too pricey but a trade?

As pointed out by Schefter at ESPN last night - this could be a HUGE year for Qb transitions...and that will totally shake up the league.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay lets expand this a bit more......
What we expect out of draft:
By all reports, I am betting on Allen, Rosen and Rudolph coming out. Darnold has stated he will play - but I believe he has been red-shirted twice...so he is a 3rd year sophmore. Not sure him staying in school really helps him or not. The other caveat is the kid from Louisville. Lamar Jackson looks to be a Cam clone to me, but with a bit better throwing capability(which he has worked hard on by all reports).

Other keys:
Brees is a FA after this year - and no way team Tags him(actually I think they can't per his last contract)
Cousins is an FA - and has already been tagged twice, the price to tag again would be rediculous
Garapolo as AD pointed out is an FA at end of season
Bradford and Bridgewater are also FA's at end of season

I will add the following:
Key teams that will shake things a bit:
I see no way Jacksonville keeps Bortles as the starter and they can get out of the contract fairly easily.
As pointed out before, Giants and Indy look to have top picks - do they save cap and get rid of vet Qbs? I am really wondering about Luck, and is this a repeat of the P. Manning saga in Indy. They can't cut him, too pricey but a trade?

As pointed out by Schefter at ESPN last night - this could be a HUGE year for Qb transitions...and that will totally shake up the league.
Hmmm things have changed some :D

So now SF is kind of off the board(maybe) as they made a deal for a young Qb in Garoppolo(finally proper spelling ;) ).

So do they now deal the #1 or #2 or #3 pick they will probably have, and deal down as Tenn did last year?

What does this mean for Cousins? Will he be stuck in Washington(not sure what he wants) or will say Minn. or Jacksonville or maybe even Pittsburgh who don't have shots at a top pick go after him?

AS the stomach churns in the NFL

Phicinfan

Administrator
ooooohhhhh what about Denver? By all reports Lynch has not been all that. Cousins in that offense with those weapons, and that defense........wow, that would really, really be scary.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay currently running teams for the top picks:
San Francisco - 0-9
Cleveland - 0-8 - and one failed trade ;)
NY Giants - 1-7 - with confirmation team has been given orders by ownership to scout college Qbs
Tampa Bay - 2-6
Indianapolis - 3-6
Cincinnati, Houston, LA Chargers, Denver and Chicago all 3-5

Of the teams above:
San Fran just traded for Garoppolo, but no confirmation that is it for them
Cleveland - basically confirmed with failed trade they still need Qb
Giants - this one is interesting - they are scouting the Qbs - three scenarios for this: A) trade Eli and start over and get picks, B) keep Eli and find future past Eli, C) trade pick down to get more picks to Qb hungry team
Tampa - no need have Winston
Indy - another interesting situation here - is Luck still viable? They also have Brissett, and can't afford to cut Luck. So trade Luck and draft top Qb? Or trade pick to QB hungry team?
Of the 3-5 teams - Denver seems to still need Qb(Lynch?!?!?!), Chargers some day have to replace Rivers

could be alot of movement at top of draft next year depending on who goes out for Draft and who becomes available as FA - Brees?, Cousins?

Arctic Dawgs

With projected cap space info NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Draft Order as of Week 9

1.San Francisco 49ers (0-9)............$62mil
2.Cleveland Browns (0-8)...............$54mil
3.New York Giants (1-7).................$31mil
4.Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-6)......$54mil
5.Indianapolis Colts (3-6)...............$70mil
6.Cincinnati Bengals (3-5)..............$30mil
7.Cle Browns from Hou (3-5).........$54mil
8.Los Angeles Chargers (3-5)..........$29mil
9.Denver Broncos (3-5)..................$23mil
10.Chicago Bears (3-5)...................$41mil

that Cle pick from Hou looking better and better

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
AFC East:
Buffalo - 3-2 - Tyrod Taylor has been pretty steady, but team doesn't seem to want to keep him. Rookie Peterson is the back up. - here is one Qb potential target. Plus they have a ton of picks so can afford to draft QB early and still get needs met.

Top Qbs in draft:
Darnold - USC - underclassman - does he come out?
Allen - Wyoming - underclassman - does he come out?
Rosen - UCLA - underclassman - does he come out?
Rudolph - Oklahoma St. - senior
Buffalo giving the rookie Peterman a start, not due to injury. This could mean Buffalo also will be looking at Qb in draft or off-season. I will say I had this kid stashed in HG, as he looks solid, and has a solid arm. He was according to John Gruden the most pro ready prospect that he looked at this year in his Qb camps he does for ESPN

Arctic Dawgs

UPDATED

Draft Order as of Week 10

1.Cleveland Browns (0-9)...............$54mil
2.New York Giants (1-8).................$31mil..(2-8)
3.San Francisco 49ers (1-9)............$62mil
4.Indianapolis Colts (3-7)...............$70mil
5.Cincinnati Bengals (3-6)..............$30mil
6.Los Angeles Chargers (3-6)..........$29mil
7.Denver Broncos (3-6)...................$23mil
8.Cle Browns from Hou (3-6)..........$54mil..(4-6)
9.Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-6).......$54mil..(4-6)
10.Chicago Bears (3-6)....................$41mil

that Cle pick from Hou looking better and better

Last edited:

Arctic Dawgs

UPDATED

With 6 games left a bunch more teams have added themselves into the mix for a top 5 pick. Hou wins and is having a serious impact on what Cle will do. (They have a bunch of extra picks from trading last year I think)

Draft Order as of Week 11

1.Cleveland Browns (0-10).............$54mil
2.San Francisco 49ers (1-9)............$62mil
3.New York Giants (2-8).................$31mil
4.Denver Broncos (3-7)..................$23mil
5.Chicago Bears (3-7).....................$41mil
6.Indianapolis Colts (3-7)...............$70mil
7.Oakland Raiders (4-6)..................$14mil
8.Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-6).......$54mil
9.Los Angeles Chargers (4-6)..........$29mil
10. Arizona Cardinals (4-6).............$32mil

Cle Browns from Hou (4-6)..........$54mil
Washington Redskins (4-6)..........$58mil
Cincinnati Bengals (4-6)...............$30mil
New York Jets (4-6)......................$62mil
Miami Dolphins (4-6)...................$16mil

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
UPDATED

With 6 games left a bunch more teams have added themselves into the mix for a top 5 pick. Hou wins and is having a serious impact on what Cle will do. (They have a bunch of extra picks from trading last year I think)

Draft Order as of Week 11

1.Cleveland Browns (0-10).............$54mil
2.San Francisco 49ers (1-9)............$62mil
3.New York Giants (2-8).................$31mil
4.Denver Broncos (3-7)..................$23mil
5.Chicago Bears (3-7).....................$41mil
6.Indianapolis Colts (3-7)...............$70mil
7.Oakland Raiders (4-6)..................$14mil
8.Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-6).......$54mil
9.Los Angeles Chargers (4-6)..........$29mil
10. Arizona Cardinals (4-6).............$32mil

Cle Browns from Hou (4-6)..........$54mil
Washington Redskins (4-6)..........$58mil
Cincinnati Bengals (4-6)...............$30mil
New York Jets (4-6)......................$62mil
Miami Dolphins (4-6)...................$16mil

up to date rankings:
1) Cleveland 0-11 - need Qb
2) San Francisco 1-10 - Qb need? They traded for Garoppolo but will they sign him and make him the star?
3) NY Giants 2-9 - is this the end of Eli in NY?
4) Denver 3-8 - sure looks like they need one, Paxton Lynch does not look good at all
5) Chicago 3-8 - they just drafted QB - so no
6) Indianapolis 3-8 - they have Luck....IF he can play again
7) Miami - 4-7 - yes they need Qb
8) NY Jets - 4-7 - McCown can be bridge but they need a future
9) Tampa Bay - 4-7 - need O-line to help keep Qb Winston healthy.
10) Houston - 4-6 - have Qb of future

to me the key will be the FA market. Will Brees(by all reports he wants to stay in N.O.), Cousins(Washington want?), Garoppolo?, Bradford, Bridgewater

Also what happens in Pittsburgh - Will Big Ben retire?, And is Eli on way out of NY? Or just HC and GM?

efactor

Coming at you
I know it was a meaningless, last play of the game TD, but Garropolo showed why SF wanted to make sure they have him for next year. Brady like on that throw. Rolls away from pressure, but doesn't panic (Bethard), sets his feet and makes a perfect throw to a well covered receiver for the score.

Hope to see a lot more of that down the line..............

Arctic Dawgs

up to date rankings:
2) San Francisco 1-10 - Qb need? They traded for Garoppolo but will they sign him and make him the star?
10) Houston - 4-6 - have Qb of future

to me the key will be the FA market. Will Brees(by all reports he wants to stay in N.O.), Cousins(Washington want?), Garoppolo?, Bradford, Bridgewater

Also what happens in Pittsburgh - Will Big Ben retire?, And is Eli on way out of NY? Or just HC and GM?

Pretty sure that Hou pick was traded to Cleveland last year. Also believe they have some additional early-round picks as well. I think their draft strategy will hinge on how Hou does. If that pick stays around #10 overall, They probably take a QB with1 of the 1st 3 picks, If Hou gives them a top 5 pick they may trade #1 off for another boatload and gamble QB they want can be had at #5ish

I think 49ers will stick with Garappalo. Maybe trade back, prolly depends on what Cle does
I think the Giants draft a QB, isn't this the 1st time they have had such an early pick since they got Eli ?? Maybe they try and move up to #1 or 2

Should be a lot of early trading in this years draft.

Phicinfan

Administrator
up to date rankings:
4) Denver 3-8 - sure looks like they need one, Paxton Lynch does not look good at all
5) Chicago 3-8 - they just drafted QB - so no
6) Indianapolis 3-8 - they have Luck....IF he can play again
7) Miami - 4-7 - yes they need Qb
8) NY Jets - 4-7 - McCown can be bridge but they need a future
9) Tampa Bay - 4-7 - need O-line to help keep Qb Winston healthy.
10) Houston - 4-7 - have Qb of future

Well you can kiss Eli goodbye. Giants starting G. Smith over Eli, and talking about starting their rookie Qb Davis as well. I am REALLY wondering what Giants could get for Eli. I bet Jags would pay big to get him.