Has Philly Flushed Their Season?

cctekguy

Staff member
I love homers :)

Elliot will be great, Dak could be very good, but they won't score as much as they give up and I don't think the rookie will function well in "must pass" situations.

That said, you could very well be right that they win the division given the mediocre level of competition.

cctekguy

Staff member
raxgyt3o1dtf0echbygq.gif

Your method of communication eludes me, Birdman.

I'll just "like" it and call it a day. :)

ExperiencedRookie

Elliot will be great, Dak could be very good, but they won't score as much as they give up and I don't think the rookie will function well in "must pass" situations.

Even the greatest QBs of all time struggled in situations like the one Dak finds himself in. There's going to be a learning curve for sure. At least in a situation like Denver the youngster can play game manager and just try to lead them to 20 points.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Your method of communication eludes me, Birdman.

I'll just "like" it and call it a day. :)

That particular gif is from a particular television show at a moment where... well, I'm sure you can gather the prospects are not good.

The Eagles are most certainly not a deep playoff team for the upcoming season.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
The more I look at the NFC East, the more I think Washington could be the team to watch. They have solid off. tools, a better O-line and an improving defense.

The Giants SHOULD be the winners, with OBJ and Eli and Sheppard and maybe Cruz...but the Off. line is still not good, the offense looks awful, and the defense is putrid.

Bang on Eagles all you want, it isn't like they are losing key pieces. That being said, I have no idea what he is trying to do, with all this movement late. I have to give him credit though, you sold the farm to get your Qb of the future, and you have since gotten at least two fields back.

cctekguy

Staff member
Bang on Eagles all you want

I don't think anyone is "banging" on the Eagles. Facts is facts and it looks like they are in for a brutal season, partially due to the Bradford trade. This is not meant to imply that the Bradford deal was a bad move. It was brilliant!

A step back is expected when you are planning to take 3 steps forward.

I think the WORST thing Philly could do at this point is kill themselves to win a couple of extra games. Do like a boxer and just "cover up" this round so you can come out swinging NEXT round.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I don't think anyone is "banging" on the Eagles. Facts is facts and it looks like they are in for a brutal season, partially due to the Bradford trade. This is not meant to imply that the Bradford deal was a bad move. It was brilliant!

A step back is expected when you are planning to take 3 steps forward.

I think the WORST thing Philly could do at this point is kill themselves to win a couple of extra games. Do like a boxer and just "cover up" this round so you can come out swinging NEXT round.
Okay I can't totally disagree with you.

But I tend to look at it a bit differently. Some feel this is Philly selling the farm for the future, and in some ways it is.
I see it as they have seen what is what in the division, and with Dallas hurting more, this division is still attainable.

None of these East teams are all that, they all have huge holes. Granted starting a rookie Qb isn't helping the situation, I would argue having Bradford in was not that much of a better stretch either.

Eagles I think will have one of the best Defenses this year, with the new DC and pressure from DL. All they need from offense is ball control and field position to win games. Not much to ask from a Rookie Qb.

Again, maybe this is homerism, but I don't think so, Washington, Giants and Dallas all have close to terrible defenses, and while Giants and Redskins should have potent offenses, they still have questionmarks.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, lets revisit this.....

2 East teams win - Eagles and Giants.
Eagles play a miserable Cleveland team, but do it with rookie Qb, and a solid defense.
Giants barely eek a win out over a rookie qb in Dallas, that should have won had the friggin Wr gotten out of bounds like he was supposed to.

Washington just looked awful, vs granted a very stout Pittsburgh team.

Net, this division is not that good, and I still contend that Eagles have a solid shot to win the division.

Oh, you heard it here, Romo won't ever see the field for Dallas again this year. Even if healthy.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Philly looked better than I expected this week and you are right that they have a real shot at the division. I still believe that it'll be the NYG standing on top at the end of the season but fully expect Philly to come in second.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Wentz looks really good considering the circumstances. A little tougher row to hoe vs Pit next week.
Tell you what I was encouraged about, is how the running game looked, Matthews looks hungry, its fun to see.

Phicinfan

Administrator
ARGGGHHHHHH tried to be good, but......................

Hmm.....exactly HOW are they flushing their season again?!?!?!?!? WELL?!?!?!

I will give you Cleveland, I will even give you Chicago.....they are both really weak teams.

But I am pretty sure the Eagles just put a butt whipping on a playoff contender, and in some cases considered a superbowl chance in Pittsburgh to the tune of 34 - 3!

Still think I am totally nuts on winning the NFC East? You don't have to be the best in the NFL to win the East, just better than the clowns in the division.

I LOVE DC JIM SCWARTZ!!!! knew this defense was going to rock this year!!!!

Phicinfan

Administrator
Is that why you dropped them this week in PFL? :p
No, I was trying to be cute and play a match up...I never learn.

All seriousness though, I have had Philly defense as a sleeper for a while. Schwartz is a beast as DC, not a great HC but a beast as a DC, reminds me a ton of Wade Phillips

cctekguy

Staff member
Philly looked spectacular yesterday. No doubt about it.

But at the time this thread was started, even you had doubts about this teams success this year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Philly looked spectacular yesterday. No doubt about it.

But at the time this thread was started, even you had doubts about this teams success this year.
I still do, I am a realist. But I can't help but notice some key things that have changed:
1) they lead the league in ball control offense and time of possession.
2) they have cut the amount of time the defense is on the field by more than half from last year. - allows the defense to be uber attacking
3) Rookie Qb is seeing the whole field, and not making the stupid mistakes. Nor is he throwing the ball away - set the record for most passes by a rookie Qb - no INTs

It is a total team effort. If they had just ONE real solid Wr to rely on, I would be in heaven.