Has Philly Flushed Their Season?

cctekguy

Staff member
By now, everyone knows about the Bradford trade.

I think it's a GREAT trade for both teams. A first rounder is pretty a high price but the Vikes are ALL IN this season and needed a field general to manage the offense. Bradford is a seasoned vet who is more than capable of doing the things Minnesota wants him to do.

Philly gets rid of an over paid stop-gap QB who was playing in Philly for his last year anyway for a coveted 1st round pick in 2017 and a 2018 pick that could be as high as a 2nd.

If I had to place a value on the trade, I'd say Philly came out way ahead. Bradford is just a stop-gap in Minnesota too, but he keeps their dreams of a ring alive.

Here is where I struggle with the results of this trade.

Philly has named Carson Wentz as their starter week 1 if he is healthy. I like the idea of getting some mileage on the kid but it needs to be low pressure mileage. In other words, he can't feel pressured to win every game. Don't feed him to the media lions and destroy his confidence. (hard to do in Philly).

The other option, Chase Daniel, has played in Doug Pederson's system in KC. SURELY he gives the Eagles a better chance of winning games.

It just seems to me that trading off your starting QB and naming a rookie as your starter is a big red flag that says "We Give Up This Year".

Personally, I'm good with that, but will the Philly fans and press be good with it?....or will they start chanting "CHASE, CHASE, CHASE" at every game?

Philly needs to look down the road 2 years, figure out who will still be there and start dealing the rest to teams like Minny that are making a play-off run. Stock up on young studs and give them some playing time and take the losses as lessons.

Just my opinion but it will never happen. Fans seem to have no patience with long term plans.

efactor

Coming at you
Well, they weren't going to do much this year anyway, so too good of an offer to pass up. They get great picks plus get a do over on the horrible contract they gave him. Lost the guarantee money, but better than eating the whole contract of a player who wasn't going to be more than a one year starter on a bad team.

Fans will be patient if they see that there is a plan. As a SF fan, there is a huge difference between last year and this year in the rebuilding stage. Last year, there was no plan, so as a fan, it was WTF, why am I wasting my time feeling. Now, you can see a plan developing (build the lines and the defense so when you get some impact offensive players, you are ready to roll) so even though you know this year won't be great, there will be progress and a reason to watch.

Weather Philly did the right thing in gambling on Wentz is the big question. If he hits, the deal for Bradford be another strong move in their climb.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
You have to look at the whole picture here.

First, this means they basically got Wentz much cheaper, as they now have a first round pick for next year. Remember they gave up first last year, 2017 and a later round pick as well.

Secondly, those who felt Philly wasn't doing much are silly. They have a ton of talent, and will win the East, especially now that Romo is out.

As far as Wentz starting, this move to me tells me Philly liked what they saw, and feel he can handle the start. It will be run heavy, so those with Matthews and Sproles and Barner be ready to roll.

The key is also the salary help. They had a ton of money tied up in the Qb slot, with Wentz, Bradford and Daniels. Now they have freed up cash to resign some needed extensions and not lose cap money in cuts.

I said this in one of the FF league forums here, but the fact Minny was stupid enough to give up a first and potentially a 2nd rounder(yeah folks the other pick could be a 2nd rounder if Minny makes the superbowl) for Bradford is absolutely laughable.

But then again, I like the all in for Minny. Bradford can drop passes of just as well as Bridgewater, and the offense will still be heavy AP.

So I agree with Tekie, this is a great deal for both. I like what Minny may get, but I don't think Bradford starts right away.

hikeNbike

Philly win the east? I still think the Cowboys get it done. In Dak we trust.

yadda yadda tapatalk

cctekguy

Staff member
Did someone open a can of homer bait?

Philly was garbage BEFORE they traded Bradford. Even if Matthews proves he can handle bell cow duty and even if Sproles regains his Saints form, and even if Agholor learns to catch a football, there is nothing easier for a defense to prepare for than a "not ready" rookie QB. 5 wins, MAX.

I give Dallas a little more credit but featuring the run with no defense to stop the other guy usually results in playing from behind. Dak at least has Bryant and Witten as proven vets to throw to and he gets around pretty good on his own. Dallas could win 8 or 9.

New York or Washington will win the division and I'm not looking for a wildcard to come out of the NFC East.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Here's the thing...

Dallas and Giants defense is awful, not bad , awful. Washington isn't much better. So the chance of Philly having the best defense is there.

As for Qb, IF Wentz starts, he is a risk, MORE of a risk is the AWFUL Wrs they have in Philly. I don't deny that. But what most of you miss is the KC offense doesn't go through the Wrs....it goes through the TE and Rbs. Granted Matthews is not a great receiver, but Sproles and rookie are. Ertz and Celek are great receivers as well.

Washington will have the best offense this year, with Giants next IF and only IF Cruz is really back.

Dallas will run a ton, but I see them trying to win games 17 to 13 but not having the defense to do it.

It may be homerism talking, but look at this division, only one team will make the playoffs, and it won't be Dallas, and I don't think it will be Giants

Phicinfan

Administrator
And another one feels the FLUSH.

Trade away CB Eric Rowe to New England for OG Kline.
Uh, he was a back up Cb who also played S. To get a starting OG that can fill in if the OT gets suspended and the starting OG gets moved to tackle. OH and they got a 2018 4th round pick as well. How is this throwing in the flush?

cctekguy

Staff member
Article I read was that Kline lost his starting gig to rookies and that Rowe was athletically gifted and turned in a solid season last year.

Rowe was a 47th pick overall last year so has a pedigree too.

...but I'm sure you know better than rotoworld ;)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Article I read was that Kline lost his starting gig to rookies and that Rowe was athletically gifted and turned in a solid season last year.

Rowe was a 47th pick overall last year so has a pedigree too.

...but I'm sure you know better than rotoworld ;)
Yes I do. he was never a starter, and one of Kelly's picks, the fact they were willing to punt him tells you alot. He also was not planned to start this year, so yes in this case I know more than Roto. I can give you some philly web sites if you want to become a real philly Phanatic?

As for Kline, yes he lost his starting role, and one reason he was available. I am fine with that, as the need may be dire as the OT may get suspended.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
They're not flushing anything, but I think it's going to be really hard to win the NFC East. I would actually prefer that if Lane Johnson gets suspended he just suck it up and not appeal, because the 2016 season is not going to get us a SB win (obviously) and I'd rather have him for next year than this one.

I do like the trades they're doing. The Rowe deal is a little disappointing/puzzling considering where he was drafted, but they believe he doesn't "fit" and perhaps they're right.

The Bradford trade is a dream come true.

cctekguy

Staff member
Now they are saying that Kline is no longer a part of the Rowe deal.

...so exactly what did Philly get for Rowe?

hikeNbike

Why all the Cowboy hate. Best offensive line and rb in thr division. Dak played lights out in preseason. Think he will do fine in the regular season. Yeah defense is a bit rough but I think offense puts up points. Chees up the clock and they go 10-6 and win the division by 2 games.

yadda yadda tapatalk

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Report now is that the Eagles are shopping C Wisniewski and OL Josh Andrews.

If this isn't a flush I don't know what is.

raxgyt3o1dtf0echbygq.gif

ExperiencedRookie

Why all the Cowboy hate. Best offensive line and rb in thr division. Dak played lights out in preseason. Think he will do fine in the regular season. Yeah defense is a bit rough but I think offense puts up points. Chees up the clock and they go 10-6 and win the division by 2 games.

yadda yadda tapatalk
You're dreaming if you think Dallas is going to win 10 games.

That D is a total mess. They'll almost certainly rank in the bottom 3rd of the league in points allowed. What happens to a rookie QB when he's facing a 10 point deficit over and over, and has crap field position? He makes huge mistakes. If be shocked if Dallas goes over .500 with Dak at QB.

I've already hammered NYG +1 in week one for a sizable bet. My pick of the week.

Contemplating doubling down on fading rookie QBs with Cle +4 @ Philly. Wentz played like 3 series in the preseason. Hard to imagine this inexperienced rookie winning his NFL debut against any NFL defense...even Cleveland.