It's Official: Lions select Matt Stafford #1

bobbeaux

I can agree to the extent that they will now have to select OL with 1 of their next 2 picks. D remains is great need of upgrading so I could still see Jerry being their selection if available at #20. If Perry is gone but Rey is still on the board I could also see him as their selection.

What I don't know is the impact on the OT's - who will be the options at #20? A. Smith and Oher would make it real hard to pass up but I am not as sure if the best option if Eben (would be much more comfortable taking him at #33)

it kinda depends on if stafford is going to start this year or not . . . the lions need help on both lines and have been in that shape for awhile . . . but, if stafford is starting, they better go offensive line early and often . . . at least 2 solid picks thru the 3rd round in my opinion . . . that leaves 1 pick for a defensive player to drop to them . . . mlb would be a wise choice i think for this defense to team up w/ peterson and sims . . . ;)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Same could be said about Loadholt (was completely prison-raped by Orakpo last year).

:biglaugh:

29inlu.jpg

Runnik's Hambones

it kinda depends on if stafford is going to start this year or not

Good interjection. However I don't think this wildly matters as much as the fact that you NEED to develop Stafford, as best you can. If you get a top 5 OT and the top OG with Stafford, that, along with his exaggerated pay check, proves how committed you are to just that. His development is KEY. It is now the most important thing on this entire team. Even more important than the defense. There is a possible total of over $70M invested in Stafford now. You CANNOT AFFORD to have him not develop.

Because of the money, it is more important this draft than any other ever, for Stafford to work out and not be a bust. If I'm the GM, I do everything in my power to make sure he works out. The way you do that is drafting around him first. That's not to say that I don't think defense is important, hell I'm a defense first guy.

I say you get 2 OL with the 2nd and 3rd picks, and you work them the hell out, because they are the ones that will make or break Stafford. You don't have to start Stafford right away, but they need to understand that they are the only way this team will find offensive success, whatsoever.

50 sacks last year the Detroit line gave up. 50! The only way this team gets better is by addressing that number. The only way they do that is drafting those 2 OL next, developing chemistry on the line together, working their asses off to get Kevin Smith down the field, and settling for nothing less than being the best OL in the NFL. That's the mindset Detroit needs to have right now. If they can get this OL to make Kevin Smith productive and protect the QB (whether Stafford or Culpepper are back there) we see more TDs and catches out of Calvin Johnson, and we see less of an opportunity for a bust out of Matthew Stafford.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I would let Culpepper be the day one starter and let Stafford learn. My only issue from this is Culpepper is not a guy I'd want anyone to learn from so i hope they have a good QB coach....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
It was the obvious route for a long time. Only the QB position can justify the ridiculous cost of the first pick. Now the Lion fans that wanted an offensive tackle can maybe hope Britton will be there at 20.
I agree, and the way I am afeard this will run....Oher will probably be there at 20...which would be an almost perfect scenario for them.

bobbeaux

well, unlike what a lot of people thought they should have done, they haven't addressed the oline much at all this offseason . . . they did however try to fill as many holes as possible or provide depth throughout the draft . . . the offense seems to be built around the running game and the short passing game because whoever is at qb isn't going to have a lot of time unless they run a lot of 2 te sets . . . they shook up the defense and brought in a lot of free agents and draft picks . . . it's going to take them some time to gel, but they might win a game or 2 this year . . . ;)

Det @ NO: In a close game the expected happens and Detroit starts 0-1

Min @ Det: Det gets its revenge against AD and crew by eking out an early season upset 1-1

Was @ Det: Det proves last week was not a fluke and move over .500 for the 1st time in... a long time 2-1

Det @ Chi: Call me a homer but facing Cutler early helps Det start conversations consisting of last to first predictions at 3-1

Pit @ Det: Come on they are improving but they are not there yet 3-2

Det @ GB: Packers are still a force at home 3-3

BYE

SL @ Det: Det recoups from 2 painful losses and comes out on top 4-3

Det @ Sea: Sea's ground game is controlled allowing Det to enjoy the flight home 5-3

Det @ Min: Minny splits with the Lions sending them home 5-4

Cle @ Det: Cle's passing game never takes off and leave Det possessing a 6-4 record

GB @ Det: NOT IN OUR HOUSE BIIATCH. The surprising Lions are 7-4

Det @ Cin: Det sneaks out with an ugly win 8-4

Det @ Bal: Det loses ugly 8-5

Ari @ Det: Det loses ugly again 8-6

Det @ SF: Det appears to have righted their ship and come away victors 9-6

Chi @ Det: Nice season that ends on a flat note 9-7

Remote Controller

Culpepper is not the type of QB you want Stafford to play behind. Waaaay too unconventional, and who needs to learn about fumbling??? Calvin is the great equalizer here. He will help this young QB do well the first year. The defense will take care of the rest, and make the Lions lean too heavily on the tandem, but the two will be a potent combo from the get go.