Your Dream Draft

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Alright, heading into the weekend I want to know what you feel would be your dream draft for your team. Try to keep it somewhat realistic. It's OK to hope you get someone to fall a bit, but don't want to see taking Jason Smith at 10 and Eugene Monroe falls to the 2nd round ;)

I'll start it off, here is what I feel would be a fantastic first five rounds for Cincy:

First Round: Eugene Monroe falling to 6. It's a stretch, but here's hoping Seattle either takes Sanchez or trades with someone else who takes him.

Second Round: Alex Mack or Max Unger - If you judge by the posts here there is no shot in this happening, you look at the national scene and it seems like many feel one will fall. If both are gone, Wood will suffice.

Third Round (First Pick) - Michael Johnson or Paul Kruger - First name is a MEGA reach and not going to happen, but hey I can dream. He is seen all over the pace and "could" see a fall, but I doubt it. Seems more likely that someone reaches towards the end of one them him falling. Kruger is more realistic for that spot.

Third Round (Second Pick) - Dannell Ellerbe - Jones is no spring chicken, need to bring in a young middle backer for the future and for depth now.

Fourth Round - Kraig Urbek or Trevor Canfield - More beef in the middle of the line, need to add more depth across the whole line.

Fifth Round - Jeremiah Johnson - Gary Russell signing makes this more of a long shot, but I still love what this kid can do. I'd be happy as hell to see him in the 5th.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
personally my dream draft would be minnesota taking michael oher in the first round. i dont know if i really see him falling that far, or even out of the top 10. but he would be an absolute mammoth beastly RT for adrian to run behind.

DearbornDolfan

25. Darius Butler - CB - UCONN
44. Patrick Chung - FS/SS - Oregon
56. DJ Moore - CB - Vanderbilt
87. Chris Baker - NT - Hampton
108. Shawn Nelson - TE - Southern Miss
161. David Veikune - OLB - Hawaii
181. Worrell Williams - ILB - Cal
214. Jamarko Simmons - WR - Western Michigan
237. Vince Butler - CB - New Mexico State

Arctic Dawgs

Pretty sure everyone here already has a good feel for my "Seahawks Dream Draft" but I'll post it here for those that may have missed it so far

1:04 (4) - Jason Smith OT (3), Eugene Monroe OT (4)
2:05 (37) - Max Unger C/G (42), Eric Wood C/G (45)
3:04 (68) - Andre Brown RB (54), Rashad Jennings RB (73)
4:05 (105) - David Bruton FS (98), Rashad Johnson FS (82) (Darcell McBath and Sharrod Martin also slipped into this area in our Mock)
What is scary about the Seahawks is that all 8 players mentioned in the 1st 4 rounds would probably wind up as starters in their rookie seasons
5:01 (137) - Jonathan Casillas OLB (119), Patrick Turner WR (143)

The numbers in brackets after every player are Sportslines (Draftscouts) overall rankings as of April 7

Alright, heading into the weekend I want to know what you feel would be your dream draft for your team. Try to keep it somewhat realistic. It's OK to hope you get someone to fall a bit, but don't want to see taking Jason Smith at 10 and Eugene Monroe falls to the 2nd round ;)

I'll start it off, here is what I feel would be a fantastic first five rounds for Cincy:

First Round: Eugene Monroe falling to 6. It's a stretch, but here's hoping Seattle either takes Sanchez or trades with someone else who takes him.

Second Round: Alex Mack or Max Unger - If you judge by the posts here there is no shot in this happening, you look at the national scene and it seems like many feel one will fall. If both are gone, Wood will suffice.

Third Round (First Pick) - Michael Johnson or Paul Kruger - First name is a MEGA reach and not going to happen, but hey I can dream. He is seen all over the pace and "could" see a fall, but I doubt it. Seems more likely that someone reaches towards the end of one them him falling. Kruger is more realistic for that spot.

Third Round (Second Pick) - Dannell Ellerbe - Jones is no spring chicken, need to bring in a young middle backer for the future and for depth now.

Fourth Round - Kraig Urbek or Trevor Canfield - More beef in the middle of the line, need to add more depth across the whole line.

Fifth Round - Jeremiah Johnson - Gary Russell signing makes this more of a long shot, but I still love what this kid can do. I'd be happy as hell to see him in the 5th.
who you like if you don't get Monroe?
I know I want to know. Please, do tell

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
who you like if you don't get Monroe?
I know I want to know. Please, do tell
At this point I think they would need to shift gears to the defense and go with Orakpo and improve the porous pass rush. With the Tank signing that takes Raji off the board, but I would still like the pick if they made it. However, if they are gone I have the sinking feeling that it will be A Smith.

Absolute best scenario if the top 2 tackles are gone is to trade down, but since they rarely do this I don't think that will happen.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Great question.

For me, and the Eagles, what I would really, really like to see is them to deal their other first round pick and a third rounder to Arizona for Boldin. With the addition of Peters and Andrews they filled their greatest needs at OT.

Then in the 2nd round I would love them to grab a RB hopefully a guy like McCoy...who quite probably won't be there. Or a the top rated Cb still available...like a Mickens from Cincinnati.

They really, really need rb depth out of this draft. DB depth is needed too in Safety and Cb.

bobbeaux

hmmm, dream draft for the texans . . .

1st - 15 - cb/fs malcom jenkins . . . doubt he's still there, especially with the saints at 14, but then again, the saints have been needing to draft db's in the 1st round for years and haven't done it . . . in my opinion, the texans need to go olb and db with their 1st 2 picks . . . if jenkins is gone, they will look to trade down a bit and/or take olb clay matthews with this pick.

2nd - 46 - olb clay matthews . . . likely not still here either, but olb clint sintim should be if they were able to get jenkins in the 1st . . . if they get olb matthews in the 1st, fs louis delmas would be the obvious pick if he is still there.

3rd - 77 - rb rashad jennings . . . i like him better than andre brown, but wouldn't mind him here either.

4th - 112 - c/g antoine caldwell . . . the oline's biggest need is at rg, so og trevor canfield would be a great choice here as well if available . . . but, caldwell's versatility would allow houston to put the best 5 guys on the line whether he played at c or g . . . worst case scenario would have either player in the rotation.

4th - 122 - cb depth . . . this position is one of the hardest to figure who will be available in each round of this year's draft . . . depending on the way the draft falls, these 4th rnd positions could be switched to get a better cb with pick 112 and then fill the ol need.

best player available . . . with the above positions filled, houston could then address depth at dl, wr, te, ol with their remaining picks.

1. Aaron Curry, ILB

This time next year we could be looking at the best LB corps in the entire NFL. When was the last time Detroit could boast something like that?

20. Peria Jerry, DT

Seriously plugs the interior DL with Grady Jax manning the other side.

33. Louis Delmas, S

May be selecting a S a little early but no way Delmas drops to their next pick. Possible to trade down a few spots and get another pick in that void which now exists between pick #82 and #174???

65. Michael Johnson, DE

A DE that should man one end of the DL from day one and be able to get into opponents backfield to wreck some havoc

82. Pat White, QB/WR/KR

Ok the new coach doesn’t strike me as the wildcat enthusiast but White’s talent is to much to pass up on if he drops this far.

174. Pannel Egboh, DE

If not an immediate starter it is because his presence motivates D. White to play more consistently.

192. Deon Butler, WR

Need someone to line up across from the freak known as C. Johnson

255. Devon Moore, RB

If Moore falls all the way to the end of the draft you gotta grab him. May not be your starter but is shifty enough to get a few carries a game and make an impact on special teams.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
:scared: your dream draft for a team who gave up 50 sacks last year does not include an offensive lineman??? Gawd help whoever the QB is.....

1. Aaron Curry, ILB

This time next year we could be looking at the best LB corps in the entire NFL. When was the last time Detroit could boast something like that?

20. Peria Jerry, DT

Seriously plugs the interior DL with Grady Jax manning the other side.

33. Louis Delmas, S

May be selecting a S a little early but no way Delmas drops to their next pick. Possible to trade down a few spots and get another pick in that void which now exists between pick #82 and #174???

65. Michael Johnson, DE

A DE that should man one end of the DL from day one and be able to get into opponents backfield to wreck some havoc

82. Pat White, QB/WR/KR

Ok the new coach doesn’t strike me as the wildcat enthusiast but White’s talent is to much to pass up on if he drops this far.

174. Pannel Egboh, DE

If not an immediate starter it is because his presence motivates D. White to play more consistently.

192. Deon Butler, WR

Need someone to line up across from the freak known as C. Johnson

255. Devon Moore, RB

If Moore falls all the way to the end of the draft you gotta grab him. May not be your starter but is shifty enough to get a few carries a game and make an impact on special teams.

ExperiencedRookie

My dream draft for KC would be madness! Total Madness.

Dan Snyder would come crawling to KC for their pick at 1.03 so he can get his man crush Sanchez. KC would move down to the teens and steal Wash's 2nd Rd pick.

KC would then send Brian Waters and a late pick to Cleveland to move up to 5 because Seattle will pass on Curry.

KC will then still land Curry and be right where they left off, while getting rid of cry baby Brian Waters.

Then with the 1st Rd pick from Wash they will take the best available OL.

In the 2nd Rd they will target RB, preparing for replacing LJ's pimp slap.

In the 3rd, find some good TE talent.

Then go 9-7 winning the division.

Then I wake up from the dream.

:scared: your dream draft for a team who gave up 50 sacks last year does not include an offensive lineman??? Gawd help whoever the QB is.....

The failure last year on the offensive side of the ball was not just the lines fault. If the team had a QB that could have stepped in for Kitna there would have been something other than a 0 on the left side of their record. Does the O need work - Yes. No one is saying otherwise. Is 1 or 2 rookies likely to have as much impact as a focused overhaul of the D? No.

Do you really do not believe they can not obtain additional serviceable OL outside the draft?

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Baltimore Ravens:

Round 1 - Brandon Pettigrew, Tight End, Oklahoma

Every day, it seems he inches down the board further and further. And there is no way I can see the Ravens sliding on him even with our current Tight End depth.

Round 2 - Lawrence Sibdury Jr., Defensive End, Richmond

Fast Edge rusher who can get to the QB. We need someone opposite of Suggs....

Round 3 - Derrick Williams , Wide Receiver, Penn State

Dynamic playmaker both on Special Teams and Offense

Round 4 - Jasper Brinkley , Inside Linebacker , South Carolina

With Scott's departure we need a replacement, good tackler and blitzer

Round 5 - Quinn Johnson , FB , LSU

Best FB in the draft and we need a blocker to free up McClain

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The failure last year on the offensive side of the ball was not just the lines fault. If the team had a QB that could have stepped in for Kitna there would have been something other than a 0 on the left side of their record. Does the O need work - Yes. No one is saying otherwise. Is 1 or 2 rookies likely to have as much impact as a focused overhaul of the D? No.

Do you really do not believe they can not obtain additional serviceable OL outside the draft?
The best way to rebuild that line is through the draft....they did nothing of note in FA to rebuild it so how exactly do you see them fixing it at this point?

A focused overhaul of both lines would have a much bigger impact that trying to do to much on D. Curry is the safe pick...but not going to win any games for you. Ignoring the Oline is not what i would call a dream draft for that team.....more of a nightmare. But your dream, not mine ;)

The best way to rebuild that line is through the draft....they did nothing of note in FA to rebuild it so how exactly do you see them fixing it at this point?

A focused overhaul of both lines would have a much bigger impact that trying to do to much on D. Curry is the safe pick...but not going to win any games for you. Ignoring the Oline is not what i would call a dream draft for that team.....more of a nightmare. But your dream, not mine ;)

I agree the best way to build is with the draft. I focused on overhauling the D this year rather than in hopes that spreading those few picks over both lines would solve the most problems. As bad as the OL was last year I still believe the D is the bigger liability for the team.

Part of the problem for Detroit was that they were behind all the time and became way to predictable - a leap in improvement by the D will assist the O to remain more balanced and minimize some of the ugly stats you are focusing on. If the problems for the team was limited to just the 2 lines I may be in agreement with you about focusing on both in this draft. But as bad as the lines were, the rest of the D (with the exception of a certain LB) collapsed just as badly. The team ran through all their DB's early pretty much and that was one area they have already begun to address in FA.

I am glad Detroit did not immediately jump into the FA market. Detroit is not a draw for the big names at this point (and the money it would have required would not have been well spent). I am not expecting a long term fix for both sides of the ball this year through the draft. There are OL players that will be available after the draft (at a more reasonable price). After the draft they will know better where they need to target their FA money (a good draft addressing the D would make coming to Detroit a little more appealing for veterans looking for an opportunity rather than just the biggest paycheck.

Overlooking the importance to the offense of a D that can get them back on the field is short sighted. All year teams were able to sustain long drives keeping the O on the bench. If you do not build the D up fast it doesn't matter who you have on O it will not win you games - even Montana/Elway... with the best of OLs could not maintain scoring drives on every possession which is what you are basically asking Detroit to do. They do nothave enough picks to solve all the problems with rookies but they could field a talented (though inexperienced) D. To not have a heavy D emphasis early in this draft will be the nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I agree the best way to build is with the draft. I focused on overhauling the D this year rather than in hopes that spreading those few picks over both lines would solve the most problems. As bad as the OL was last year I still believe the D is the bigger liability for the team.

Part of the problem for Detroit was that they were behind all the time and became way to predictable - a leap in improvement by the D will assist the O to remain more balanced and minimize some of the ugly stats you are focusing on. If the problems for the team was limited to just the 2 lines I may be in agreement with you about focusing on both in this draft. But as bad as the lines were, the rest of the D (with the exception of a certain LB) collapsed just as badly. The team ran through all their DB's early pretty much and that was one area they have already begun to address in FA.

I am glad Detroit did not immediately jump into the FA market. Detroit is not a draw for the big names at this point (and the money it would have required would not have been well spent). I am not expecting a long term fix for both sides of the ball this year through the draft. There are OL players that will be available after the draft (at a more reasonable price). After the draft they will know better where they need to target their FA money (a good draft addressing the D would make coming to Detroit a little more appealing for veterans looking for an opportunity rather than just the biggest paycheck.

Overlooking the importance to the offense of a D that can get them back on the field is short sighted. All year teams were able to sustain long drives keeping the O on the bench. If you do not build the D up fast it doesn't matter who you have on O it will not win you games - even Montana/Elway... with the best of OLs could not maintain scoring drives on every possession which is what you are basically asking Detroit to do. They do nothave enough picks to solve all the problems with rookies but they could field a talented (though inexperienced) D. To not have a heavy D emphasis early in this draft will be the nightmare.

Curious, now with Stafford officially a Lion, does tht change your opinion on the rest of the draft? With a new franchise QB would you like to see them get some players to protect him?

Curious, now with Stafford officially a Lion, does tht change your opinion on the rest of the draft? With a new franchise QB would you like to see them get some players to protect him?

My opinion that the team would have been better served with an immediate focus on D has not changed.

I was never opposed to them getting players to protect him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
My opinion that the team would have been better served with an immediate focus on D has not changed.

I was never opposed to them getting players to protect him.
I know that, what i am asking is that at this point, would you rather them still focus on defense the rest of the draft, or now that they have Stafford to you want to see them bring in some kids to protect him?

I know that, what i am asking is that at this point, would you rather them still focus on defense the rest of the draft, or now that they have Stafford to you want to see them bring in some kids to protect him?

I still want D as a focus for this draft and yes they need to bring in players to protect their QB. Whether (or when) I would address the OL in the draft would depend on who falls.

At #20 I could see J & A Smith, Monroe and Oher. At #33 I would consider expanding that to include Eben and maybe Beatty or going OG with Levitre or Robinson (a little early for the OG's but Urbak would definitely fall to a possibility at the top of the 3rd and Johnson w/ the 2nd 3rd round pick).