What do you do with the #1 overall pick?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
For Detroit, I think the choice is pretty clear. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama.

They have four picks in the top 65, but only one that can net them a potential franchise left tackle to build around.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If they feel there is a franchise QB in this draft, they have to take him.....Kitna, Culpepper, Orlovsky......yeah, they need a QB!!!!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
But look at how deep the QB pool is. Potentially six underclassmen could head the pack. I think they can get that QB later after they have a Jake Long type on their roster.

Dawgs

Of course I'm biased, but if it's me in charge of the pick, and he ends up coming out, I'm taking Matt Stafford. A cannon of a arm and has been playing in a pro style offense for 3 years at UGA. I'm not high on Bradford, or any QB who played his collegiate career in a spread offense.

Although, I think the prospect of playing for the Lions is the biggest thing Bulldog fans can base their hopes of Stafford coming back on.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I agree with that assessment. I damn sure wouldn't want to end up a Lion, but Andre Smith is definately in that kind of danger.

Stafford deserves better.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I touched some of this in my GM for the day thread for Detroit.

With two picks in the first round ...they have some flexibility. However, the fact remains they have dire needs everywhere.

I am not so high on any of the Qbs in this draft that I would have to hold the #1 pick. So if there is a Qb starved team...I would gladly trade down and get additional picks.

IF Smith comes out, I would target him. As Mike has stated....what good is the Qb or Rb if you can't block for him. Getting the LT slot covered, with the RT slot done last year...would help develop that line.

I also think some of these top Qbs will drop...so they may be there at #20 when Detroit picks again.

or they could target a top DL to fix that issue.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Got a thread started up on the early entrants. Regardless of the new ownership, someone who has declared early is going to end up at Detroit at #1 overall :sorrybigguy:

Phicinfan

Administrator
I am ALL for Smith. Or at least one of the big OTs.

This team is atrocious. I just don't see targeting a Qb that will only get killed if you don't fix the line. Personally, I think some of the Qbs will be there late first and early second round anyways. So why waste the pick and money?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I agree. If your a believer in Kevin Smith and Megatron, then adding Andre Smith only further solidifies a good core. I'd like to see them invest in a real QB prospect, but not rush him onto the field. Give the guy a year to watch and grow while you feed Culpepper, Kitna, and Orlovsky to the wolves (or youtube)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I know the Rams are targeting Smith at #2, on the hope that Detroit takes a QB.

And they would be extremely smart to do so. I would personally be willing to trade them that #2 pick and their choice of SJax or Bulger to make it happen.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
Detroit needs to trade the #1 pick and get more 1st day picks. Maybe a later 1st and second round pick to add good players on both sides of the ball as opposed to drafting 1 great player on one side of the ball.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
In my personal opinion Detroit should be working to trade the #1 pick. Unless there is going to be an uncapped year where you can front-load the rookie's salary or some major adjustment in how rookies get paid.

The #1 pick is more trouble than it's worth. If you can trade down and get affordable picks to stockpile talent, you do it. The only problem is that most teams don't seem to want the #1 pick either.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Problem is Gents....who is worth trading up for? Other than Smith? None of the Qbs or RBs are really all that. This may change after the senior bowls and such...and the combine...but right now...I wouldn't touch the #1 pick.