Vikings to LA?

xqj47alpha

Banned
wouldn't the name Vikings have to stay in the land of lakes?
and they could be the LA Lakers in football, too.

Would make the same amount of sense.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Sounds to me from what i've read that if wilf does sell the team they will definitly move to LA. And this is albout a new stadium for them and all their owners not want to pitch in money for it.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, read quite a bit into this.

First, yes, I do see Vikings as a prime canidate to move to L.A. Why? They are now officially without a lease. So they can leave when they want. Secondly, since they have been following NFL policy, no they won't have to give up the team name or colors like Cleveland. That was due to how the Owner of the Browns moved his team to Baltimore. Vikings have done all be fall on thier axes to get a new stadium.

I wonder though if L.A. is the only choice? I know San Antonio has a stadium ready to use. Plus St. Louis is close to being moved as well. Maybe our first venture out of the country??

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Bottom line i hate the idea of any team moving and leaving a city. If LA wants a team then why not expand and give LA and san antonio a team?

xqj47alpha

Banned
I'm inclined to believe Phicin here, however, nothing would stop the city from trying to maintain the rights to 'Vikings'.
It would be nice to see the Rams back in LA too.

as for expansion, i don't think the time is quite right. the current set-up is pretty sweet with the eight divisions with four teams.

a team in another country? other than in Canada, where?

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Doesnt look good for the city of Minny right now. What would become of the metrodome if they did move?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Uh, I think Nikki is working off old information. The Senate had an agreement, but last I heard the committee that had oversight threw the bill out.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Whoops, hold on there. Just saw a story on PFT that states the Senate committee in charge did pass the bill on with an 8-6 vote. The house bill was the one that was cut in committee and is dead. So there is still some life to this in Minny. Only time will tell.

edit to add:
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A Minnesota Senate committee narrowly approved a public subsidy on Friday to help the Vikings build a new football stadium, reviving the team's struggling effort just hours after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell visited the state Capitol to jump-start what had been a stalled stadium debate.
The Senate's Local Government and Elections Committee passed the bill on an 8-6 vote after a hearing that stretched nearly four hours. While the stadium bill still faces a long haul in the waning days of Minnesota's legislative session, the committee's vote gave the $975 million stadium proposal new life four days after a companion bill's defeat in a House committee sparked near panic among supporters.
from ESPN