US Patent Office finds Redskins' name offensive

2minutedrill

Total discriminating racist you are! What is wrong with spots. Why do they need to be removed?? Furthermore, fair skinned people get the worst sunburns, are you wishing ill towards them! What kind of toasters? The one that produces carcinogens on bread that lead to cancer to the ones that tip their glasses with alcohol?
(I got nothing for wipers except either right or left handed)
Have a blissful evening.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Had I the time, I could entertain you with an eloquent rant on the subject.

...but I'm tired and the alarm comes early.

So let's just cave on the subject. It's only a matter of time until the animal rights idiots start a petition against the Detroit Lions because it depicts Lions in an unfavorable light ( aggressive, violent).

Just change every NFL team name to an inanimate object and SHUT THESE IMBECILES UP FOREVER!

The Washington Wipers.

The Tennessee Toasters

San Francisco Spot Removers

Arizona Sunburns

SICK of the BS, I tell ya.....SICK.
you know, some of us have American Indian heritage. So as soon as we get a professional football team that can be called ni&&ers, I would prefer you watch what you rant on for Redskins. Which by the way is an equivalent.

thanks so much

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Well the little bit of Indian blood in me doesn't mind the Redskins one bit. Until recently they've been a proud organization winning super bowls and having quality players. In no way do I find it disparaging at all. I do realize that some might but maintain there isn't a single thing on this great planet that someone, somewhere might have a problem with. Personally I hope he keeps the name because erasing it just takes away one more daily reminder to the world that the American Indian was once a proud and noble people who have been done wrong by the white man at every turn and should not be forgotten and washed from our countries memory.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well the little bit of Indian blood in me doesn't mind the Redskins one bit. Until recently they've been a proud organization winning super bowls and having quality players. In no way do I find it disparaging at all. I do realize that some might but maintain there isn't a single thing on this great planet that someone, somewhere might have a problem with. Personally I hope he keeps the name because erasing it just takes away one more daily reminder to the world that the American Indian was once a proud and noble people who have been done wrong by the white man at every turn and should not be forgotten and washed from our countries memory.
So, as long as they are successful, its okay. The only reason its an issue, is because they suck lately? Really?

Sigh, go humanity........................

Its a derogatory name, regardless of if you do or don't "allow" it. Lets call a spade a spade please. Now, not everyone feels a name change is needed, and thats the best part, we all can have an opinion. But please, for logic, don't BS about whether its a derogatory name or not.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Come on, you have to be kidding me. When's the last time the term Redskin was used as a put down of a human being PhiCin? Have you ever been called a RedSkin as an insult? Huh? Have you? How many decades since it was used to hurt someone? When's the last time it was used widely in a derogatory way? A 150 plus years ago, sure, but of late the only time most whites or blacks even think about the American Indian is when they hear it used in reference to a sports team or if they have a gambling problem. Can you tell us that you know one single American Indian that has been called a Redskin in an insulting way? Now ask that to almost any black man that you see and you'll get an almost 100% answer of yes. Don't even think you can legitimately compare it's usage to the "N" word which has been used by millions for a hundred plus years and is still used today as an insult that is meant to hurt. It isn't the same in any way, shape, form or fashion. You want the world to forget about the American Indian you take away these team names and it'll happen in a few generations.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
There's a picture on another thread here of the WWII Navajo Code Talkers wearing Redskin clothing. It didn't seem to bother those proud American heroes.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, go up to the next black person you know, and say hey Black guy....hows it going. Just see what happens.

Again, I get most don't get it, they didn't with the racism with blacks either.

whether you want to accept it or not, Redskin to most indians is equivalent to ni**er to the black person.

jjtweeks

Comparing this to th "N" is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Champ Bailey says its the same, I think not. What is on the Redskin helmet, a tough ass SOB indian with red skin that they chose with pride. Can anyone recall the last time you heard the term Redskin used out of the context of the NFL. My son is part Native American as is my ex and I have hung out on many reservations in MN and have never heard anyone mention of that word much less have an opinion on it, if anything the Native Americans I was around were offended by being labled as lazy alcoholics. I have to wonder how many times a month Chmap Bailey uses the "N" word hismself among friends becasue from what I understand it's ok then. I was a Ciccis pizza the other day with my son having lunch and there was a group of young blacks adults sitting behind me who must have used the 'N" word atleast a dozen times to each other. Kind of hard to explain to my son how to never use that word yet the very race who it offends uses it so many times in public. So no the term Redskin is nothing like the 'N" word. The very generation who the term Redskin might have offended is so far back that maybe there are some stories passed down but that is not how the Redskins intended their name to be. So next we will have christians lobbying to change the blue devils(makes sense to me right). Maybe there were some obese children who where called titans when they were in grade school lets change that too. Im sure there are some homophobic St louis fans that are offended by having a gay guy on their teams called the Rams. Yes this all sounds stupid becasue I want to join the stupid party becasue that's what this country is becomming a breeding ground of whiners who have too much time on their hands. You know what, devote your time to fight against childhood cancer or something. There probalby are some who are truly offended by this and they are influencing many others to join their fight. You can take things however you want but the Redskin name was chosen in pride of the Indian,bad judgemnt at the time, maybe I dont know but if you want to give someone the power over you you to dicate how you feel well then thats your problem. The anaylast on ESPN are jumping on board now with the name change becasue God forbid they fall out of favor with certain viewers or sponsors yet have you fought for it in the past, they've had the name for over 70 years you could have started b^&^&ing long ago. I can't stand the Redskins as a team but love that Snyder is fighting this. I might just go get me a Redskin hat tonight.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The word Redskin is much more of a term of endearment than a put down and has been for generations. There are maybe millions who love their "Redskins" and are proud to be fans of such. How anyone could attempt to justify comparing it to a word used in a hateful way such as the "N" word is beyond me. However I learned a long time ago that if something hurts someone then it hurts them no matter how screwed up I think that they are.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Comparing this to th "N" is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Champ Bailey says its the same, I think not. What is on the Redskin helmet, a tough ass SOB indian with red skin that they chose with pride. Can anyone recall the last time you heard the term Redskin used out of the context of the NFL. My son is part Native American as is my ex and I have hung out on many reservations in MN and have never heard anyone mention of that word much less have an opinion on it, if anything the Native Americans I was around were offended by being labled as lazy alcoholics. I have to wonder how many times a month Chmap Bailey uses the "N" word hismself among friends becasue from what I understand it's ok then. I was a Ciccis pizza the other day with my son having lunch and there was a group of young blacks adults sitting behind me who must have used the 'N" word atleast a dozen times to each other. Kind of hard to explain to my son how to never use that word yet the very race who it offends uses it so many times in public. So no the term Redskin is nothing like the 'N" word. The very generation who the term Redskin might have offended is so far back that maybe there are some stories passed down but that is not how the Redskins intended their name to be. So next we will have christians lobbying to change the blue devils(makes sense to me right). Maybe there were some obese children who where called titans when they were in grade school lets change that too. Im sure there are some homophobic St louis fans that are offended by having a gay guy on their teams called the Rams. Yes this all sounds stupid becasue I want to join the stupid party becasue that's what this country is becomming a breeding ground of whiners who have too much time on their hands. You know what, devote your time to fight against childhood cancer or something. There probalby are some who are truly offended by this and they are influencing many others to join their fight. You can take things however you want but the Redskin name was chosen in pride of the Indian,bad judgemnt at the time, maybe I dont know but if you want to give someone the power over you you to dicate how you feel well then thats your problem. The anaylast on ESPN are jumping on board now with the name change becasue God forbid they fall out of favor with certain viewers or sponsors yet have you fought for it in the past, they've had the name for over 70 years you could have started b^&^&ing long ago. I can't stand the Redskins as a team but love that Snyder is fighting this. I might just go get me a Redskin hat tonight.
I laugh at this. Every time someone quotes someone who is not an American Indian that it is not equivalent. So...cause he is black he can determine this? Seriously?

Phicinfan

Administrator
The word Redskin is much more of a term of endearment than a put down and has been for generations. There are maybe millions who love their "Redskins" and are proud to be fans of such. How anyone could attempt to justify comparing it to a word used in a hateful way such as the "N" word is beyond me. However I learned a long time ago that if something hurts someone then it hurts them no matter how screwed up I think that they are.
Sorry this is incorrect. The word was originally coined in the old west, and was extremely derogatory. The fact that it has been even Disneyfied does not change the original intent, nor its existance as one.

jjtweeks

No Champ bailey says it is the same, he says using the N word is equivalent to using the the term Redskin. If stupidity were a race i would definitely be racist

jjtweeks

Cinncinati better start thinking of changing their name too because Im sure there is something in the history books of Reds being short for Redskins or maybe our small Russian immigrant population might take offense too.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Cinncinati better start thinking of changing their name too because Im sure there is something in the history books of Reds being short for Redskins or maybe our small Russian immigrant population might take offense too.
Reds are short for Red Stockings. Sorry.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Sorry this is incorrect. The word was originally coined in the old west, and was extremely derogatory. The fact that it has been even Disneyfied does not change the original intent, nor its existance as one.

Thanks for helping make my point. The word hasn't been used in a derogatory way for well over 100 years. The meanings and uses for words change and this one most certainly has. White man used to hate Redskins and kill 'em dead to white men love Redskins and cheer him to victory. See? That's not so hard is it? Now for those that wear their feelings on their sleeves and for some un-natural reason choose to be offended by this I am sorry and I understand it hurts you but frankly I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Thanks for helping make my point. The word hasn't been used in a derogatory way for well over 100 years. The meanings and uses for words change and this one most certainly has. White man used to hate Redskins and kill 'em dead to white men love Redskins and cheer him to victory. See? That's not so hard is it? Now for those that wear their feelings on their sleeves and for some un-natural reason choose to be offended by this I am sorry and I understand it hurts you but frankly I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Then why can't this apply to Ni&&er? How many times even NOW in the NFL, have they admitted players are using the N word not as a derogatory, but instead as a term of friendship. But yet that is still a wrong word to use.

You can't have it both ways. The history DEFINES the word. Whether it be N or R, they all have the same history, and when asking THOSE respective races will respond in kind.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
While blacks may use it as a love term amongst themselves I can assure you that many whites still use it with just as much hate in their hearts as there ever has been. Again I'll say that if you want to be offended by a word that hasn't been used to offend a people in more than a century that is your purgative. I and millions more don't understand it and personally I think that anyone that feels it equates in any way with the "N" word is full of it. Thank God we live in America where we both have the right to think what we will. :)