Top WRs for upcoming draft

RLLD

I have followed Walterfootball for a number of years now, their rankings tend to have wide fluctuation over time, and they also tend to allow for greater risk/reward in their rankings. I do find their assessments interesting and useful.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
first time i came across it personally. did like how they talked about the players. gonna keep an eye on it til the draft to see if it moves much.

bobbeaux

walter football has a lot of good info . . . but, like any other "guru" site, i use it for info and compare with other sites opinions, as well as my own . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I've used them as a source for about 6 years to compile my mock draft and Steeler draft articles. I enjoy the fact that they project into the following year's draft so I can see what teams that pass on a position this year may have to choose from if they're in rebuild mode.

xqj47alpha

Banned
need to link Phicinfan's thread to this
and I do believe Gruntbusters has a nice thread on this as well.

although Blackmon can be a number one on some boards.
Floyd at two is almost right.

then Jeffery at 5 because of what makes him such a great WR.
his heads a mess.

three and four shouldn't be in the first round unless you just don't need a good player.

Floyd Blackmon and Jeffery
first round
after that, it's just about finding the wr you need for your team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Really think there is going to be a gem in there somewhere that really isn't being talked to much about. Maybe even an undrafted player. It would be nice if after as mock drafts suggest after the first 2 pics we do go and grab another WR with our 3rd pic unless they are planning to do some more dealings for another experienced WR then hopefully they use the 3rd pic on an offensive lineman. We're really not far away from being a contender team, if Gabbert pans out, and if they do continue to get him some weapons to throw to, then he will have no excuses for that last season to happen again. He'll have a true #1 wr in Blackmon, Thomas on the other side and brain farting on the guy we signed from dallas who has experience. Mercedes lewis gets back into form and actually catches the damn ball and with MJD and kahlil running, we just might give Houston a run for there money on the division.

Coachnorm

According to Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki, some NFL general managers have second-round grades on Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon The Vikings don't seem to be one of them, as ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported Minnesota is considering Blackmon as early as the No. 3 pick. "There are GMs who have graded him in the second round," Nawrocki claims. "They do not believe he has the speed after watching every stitch of tape on him in the last two years. He's not especially physical, and a he's not a blazer." Nawrocki also said teams became concerned when Blackmon flew to Las Vegas after Oklahoma State's bowl game, rather than take the charter back to school.

Coachnorm

) ESPN's Mel Kiper has moved up Brian Quick of Appalachian State to his No. 4-ranked wide receiver in the 2012 draft. Analysis: Quick, whom Kiper called a fourth- to fifth-rounder after the Senior Bowl, is now behind only Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Wright in Kiper's rankings. Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech is fifth. NFL teams have been high on Quick's game tape for awhile. It appears Kiper is now catching up.

Coachnorm

According to SI draft analyst Tony Pauline, there's a "very real chance" that the Bears will use the No. 19 overall pick on Baylor WR Kendall Wright. Analysis: CBS Sports' Dane Brugler previously reported that Bears brass was smitten with Wright at Baylor's Pro Day. Chicago shouldn't be finished addressing its wideout corps after the Brandon Marshall trade. Earl Bennett is a slot receiver only, and the Bears still lack a vertical field stretcher at the position. Pauline also reports that Chicago is high on Boise State DE/LB Shea McClellin.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Somehow i think thats alot of smoke being blown around by GMs maybe trying to take the interest off of him so they can get him. And if they (Minny) does grab him ahead of us then i'd be happy with drafting Floyd.

Coachnorm

Somehow i think thats alot of smoke being blown around by GMs maybe trying to take the interest off of him so they can get him. And if they (Minny) does grab him ahead of us then i'd be happy with drafting Floyd.

Lol, turn on the Super Smoke Sucker on the ceiling as it is getting smoky in here.

xqj47alpha

Banned
The WR is the only player that relies on the entire team to make him important. maybe a kicker or punter qualifies, but for a different reason.

But let's face it, how much fun is it to talk about the top offensive linemen, or even defensive linemen.

We talk about the QB, the RB and the WR. The players most reliant on those around them.

With the few exceptions like Megatron and Jim Brown, the success of the skill set is nestled in the heart of the situation into which they are drafted.

the point, i think, is that you should draft a team first and then nestle your nut-jobs into the situation. not the other way around.

RLLD

The WR is the only player that relies on the entire team to make him important. maybe a kicker or punter qualifies, but for a different reason.

But let's face it, how much fun is it to talk about the top offensive linemen, or even defensive linemen.

We talk about the QB, the RB and the WR. The players most reliant on those around them.

With the few exceptions like Megatron and Jim Brown, the success of the skill set is nestled in the heart of the situation into which they are drafted.

the point, i think, is that you should draft a team first and then nestle your nut-jobs into the situation. not the other way around.

I concur.

To further bring that home, look at players like Jerry Rice who comes out of some directional school to dominate the NFL. The fact remains that you can get good WR's anywhere in the draft because they are everywhere in college football.

The most important factors for those college teams who tend to dominate is the fact that they can attract and load up on the commodity that is actually pretty sparse- LINEMEN.

It is the lineman than make great teams, and teams like Alamaba, LSU and Florida for instance are able to gobble up the best ones, whats left to other teams is substantially less quality.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I personally have Blackmon to the Rams, Floyd to the Dolphins, Wright to the Bears, Stephen Hill to the Texans. That's my top-4, in that order.

Next wave starts at the beginning of round 2 with the Vikings taking Jeffrey, Sanu to the Jags, and Randle to the Panthers.

A guy I like a ton who I just couldn't fit anywhere until the early 3rd is Chris Givens from Wake Forest, going to Cleveland. After my top-4, these guys are so close, ratings-wise to me, it's like someone else said earlier about what type of WR best fits the offense you're running and the hole you need to fill.
Best example of this (and my favorite match of player to team) is Hill to Houston. He could be the most complete wideout in the league in 3 years learning from Andre Johnson. He's among the fastest in this class to stretch the field, a tall lanky frame for red zone targets, but what I like about him most is he's the best blocking receiver in this class, coming out of the Georgia Tech triple option offense. That's an invaluable asset when you employ one of the few high-volume RB's in the NFL in Foster. He breaks a run to the outside, and a good downfield block on a CB or Safety could mean 4-5 extra yards, or even a long TD.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Read a 6 rd mock draft today and it has the Jags taking a DE(ingram) with the 7th pick, if they dont trade down or if Claiborne/Blackmon are gone. Then grabbing a CB in the 2nd, WR in the 3rd/4th rds, RB in the 5th or 6th and forgot the other pick. Tomorrow will be an updated mock draft and i'll post the picks so i can get some idea and information about the "maybe" picks from the sports fanatics here.